Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Podcast

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Podcast Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Podcast - 11/4/2007 7:32:03 PM   
PunkReaper

It seems all the craze to have your own podcasts and I subscribe to several. I know Matrix have a newsletter but with all the spare time you have why not have a podcast discussing your games, interests....etc?
Post #: 1
RE: Podcast - 11/5/2007 2:49:01 AM   
David Heath

If you are interested or know someone who can help us pPlease send them to me ASAP.

David

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 2
RE: Podcast - 11/5/2007 3:50:43 AM   
Erik Rutins

Put simply, we just haven't had time to put together a decent recording setup that would allow us to do that easily and not all of us are in the same location, which complicates things a bit further.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 3
RE: Podcast - 11/5/2007 12:53:29 PM   
Marc von Martial

Problem is the platform IMHO, while I'm an avid podcast and especially vidcast user, I do not really think the platform is right for demonstrating games. If you only do a vocal podcast it will not be easy to transport the gameplay etc. doing a video podcast showing of gameplay will be a major effort. And again the platform is not really right, unless you strictly produce for the higher resolutions that Apple TV or the new iPod touch supports.

Just doing a podcast that talks about ideas and future developments would be rather "boring" to the subscriber since you can't really interact. Unless you put the discussions here to the forums, and then why not take it to the forum or a blog directly?

I would rather spend those resources in video demonstrations for higher resolutions then wasting a lot of resources to put them on a tiny portable media player screen.

Additionally a regular 30 minutes vocal podcast usually takes around 6 times the playtime for recording, cutting and post. Not to speak of the time it takes to plan and script it. A videopodcast would take much much more time, especially in the recording, cutting and planing stages. In order to keep people interested you need to do it regularly, at the very least once a month, better twice. That would easily be fulltime position to hire. People really do underestimate the time you have to put into a well done podcast. As a company that would use it for some sort of advertising the bar would be even higher, if not done well it will only hurt you.

It is certainly not a "freetime project".

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Podcast - 11/5/2007 3:58:22 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
A videopodcast would take much much more time, especially in the recording, cutting and planing stages.

I agree - from personal experience - It took me a couple of hours to make a 5 minute vidcast which was amateurish at best.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
In order to keep people interested you need to do it regularly, at the very least once a month, better twice. That would easily be fulltime position to hire. People really do underestimate the time you have to put into a well done podcast. As a company that would use it for some sort of advertising the bar would be even higher, if not done well it will only hurt you.

It is certainly not a "freetime project".

Well, ok, but there's maybe another way to achieve this : turn it into a competition.

Typing out loud here - how about having a competition where gamers can enter a 5-minute vidcast/podcast of whatever takes their fancy as long as it involves a Matrix game, with a prize draw, a free game or whatever for the winner(s) ?

This way the "if not done well, it will only hurt you" conundrum will be avoided as everyone will realize this is a gamer's project/product and it won't take much support/time from Matrix.

Oh, and I got the scenario "Santa forgets Empires in Arms and gets shot" copyrighted

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 5
RE: Podcast - 11/7/2007 4:58:50 AM   
Rooster

I'm going to say that a well done audio podcast would be of great interest to me. Because I spend a decent part of my day commuting, I get to listen to several podcasts. I mostly listen to ESPN podcasts about American football, or American sports in general. But the best podcasts I listen to are CSPAN's Book TV Podcasts. These are interviews with authors about their topics... often biographies... sometimes other things. Often military in nature... which is a bonus.

But the very best is Point2Point done by two war boardgame players. It's absolutely changed my views of boardgaming. I now spend more money acquiring boardgames than computer games.

Here's the funny part: you can't see the boardgame at all... it's purely audio.

What makes it interesting is the following:

- Interviews with game designers. To me, there is nothing more fascinating than getting into the head of the person that designs the game. What did they want to achieve? Why? What challenges were there? What compromises were there? What makes them proud about their game? Why did they pick the period they did? What challenges did the period represent? What about the game showcases the history in a vivid way? How did they get into the business? Who was their biggest influence? What games did they play? What's on the horizon?

That's an hour right there, if done well.

Then, you can move on to:

- News. What's coming out? What's hot? Any other announcements? Any conventions coming? How about a convention review?

- Game review. What's the game? What's the historical period? What are the mechanics? How are the graphics? Is play easy to grasp? Does it represent a step forward? Is it fun? Can you multi?

- Reader email. Respond to questions.

- Listener poll.

General discussion.

The format of having two hosts seems to work best because there can be some interesting conflicting views which makes for better listening. The hosts would have to be very knowledgable to make the podcast interesting.

Doing a podcast really well does require some decent recording equipment. Doing a very basic one isn't much work at all. Skype and a mic. Done.

I think this would be a worthwhile venture.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 6
RE: Podcast - 11/9/2007 10:13:37 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Can someone briefly describe what a podcast is and how it works ? 

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 7
RE: Podcast - 11/10/2007 6:39:57 AM   
Rooster

It's an .mp3 file which is recorded like in radio show format.  You can download it and listen to it on your computer or you can put it on an .mp3 player and take it with you to listen wherever you go.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 8
RE: Podcast - 11/10/2007 2:17:01 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Can someone briefly describe what a podcast is and how it works ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Podcast Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll