Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice on modding

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Advice on modding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 5:43:34 PM   
Vic

You can chose to mod and make like a graphics pack that overwrites the existing graphics. That is how modding is usually done. But for AT my advice is to make an alternate masterfile and just add a new directory to the graphics directory. This way people can select that masterfile from the random game menu or change the masterfile of a scenario in the editor.

This way you can keep your mods easily seperated without having to mess around with overwriting and deleting files.

Also you can combine graphics and rule changes this way in one easy alternate masterfile.

The way to then distribute a graphics mod is to zip:
graphics/alternategrapicsdir
scenarios/alternate.masterfile

and make sure that if a player unpacks it in the bin directory everything unpacks to the right place.

kind regards,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 11/2/2007 6:01:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 6:01:44 PM   
GJK

Would you have to edit each scenario to use the alternate masterfile so that it points to a modded graphics folder? And I'm guessing "no", but can the masterfile be edited using a text editor or do you have to go through the game editor only?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 6:05:55 PM   
Vic

the generic.masterfile is actually a scenario.

if another scenario uses the generic.masterfile it means that if a player loads that scenario, the settings from generic.masterfile automaticly overwrite that scenario.

You can edit the generic.masterfile or save it as a different masterfile. you can set where each graphic is to be loaded from in your alternate masterfile.

To see how this works download for example Tolkinesque or Colonial or ACW from the scenariobank on the community site.

kind regards,
Vic

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 6:13:29 PM   
Matto

And exists any way, how to generate Random scenario from non default masterfile ? Lets say Great War or Tolkien World ?

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, HnM I., P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, SC2, FoGII, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 6:31:53 PM   
Vic

Its possible, but that alternate masterfile must be setup correctly to give the random scenario creator the right info. Its gets this through a number of rulevars that can be set. So yes. And thats another way why it is smart to make a graphic mod by cloning the generic.masterfile and replacing the graphics. it gives the player of random games the chance to choose which graphics to use. Players of normal scenario will have to go into the editor and change the masterfile of a scenario (in settings subscreen) before starting the scenario.

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 6:35:59 PM   
Matto

Sounds great ... hope, that modders will use it ... I tryed use Great War masterfile for Random scenario. Some errors were displayed, but generaly it works ...

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, HnM I., P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, SC2, FoGII, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 6
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 6:42:24 PM   
Vic

I think i might need to spend some time in writing some simple tutorials on editing and modding. :)

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 7
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 6:56:42 PM   
elmerlee

Vic- I think this is the best thing you could do right now for a great game.

It seems to me the interest here is teriffic and the more new senarios that users make the more the word will spread.

To me an editor tutorial is the ONLY thing that might be missing from the game.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: Advice on modding - 11/2/2007 7:01:22 PM   
NickGen

Vic, are you the graphic designer ? I make for now a graphic mod and i have some questions....
How hex transition work ? i want to make new terrain with transition, like sea water...or forest...
can you give me some advices ?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 9
RE: Advice on modding - 11/3/2007 10:30:37 AM   
Vic

i did the original graphics and steve ford redid most of them.

i have very little time right now to answer in detail ( have to go to conference) but the terrain transitions if you want them work with 64 sprites you can set for a landscape type that are used to overdraw neighbouring hexes depending on the ammount of that landscape type. Sea Sea for example and check the 64 for sprites.

(in reply to NickGen)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Advice on modding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI