Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do I edit a Saved Game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> How do I edit a Saved Game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 2:23:41 AM   
ETF

How do I edit a Saved Game in the Scenario editor?
I know I could do this in the original game. Any ideas? I tried renaming the extensions to .sce but no joy :(

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Post #: 1
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 2:41:06 AM   
sPzAbt653

For a quick answer I'll say you can't do it, but I'm no expert in the matter. It was changed from earlier versions to avoid cheating !! Someone who knows better may correct my statement, though.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 2
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 3:09:45 AM   
ETF

Damn that sucks. Too bad they just didn't do that for MP games.

Guess I will have to get my original copy in action again :(

< Message edited by ETF -- 10/28/2007 3:11:34 AM >

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 3:54:55 AM   
JAMiAM

Can't do it. That "functionality" was removed in TOAW III to prevent cheating.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 4
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 7:19:51 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

But what about we people who play against the computer and want to be able to fix things as they go?

Just our bad luck?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 5
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 8:46:28 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

But what about we people who play against the computer and want to be able to fix things as they go?

Just our bad luck?

Call me dense, but just what...exactly...would you "fix"?

You play a game. If it doesn't go well, you learn from your mistakes and play it again. If you need to "fix" something in a single-player game, then save frequently and replay from whatever point you think you "broke" it enough to be "fixed".

Sorry, but I still haven't heard what I consider a compelling enough reason to leave this feature in. Even from those members of the beta team that have used it, once or twice in a blue moon, to monkey with their scenario designs. Call it bad luck, if you wish, but having been on the short end of the stick, from someone cheating in a tournament game, I tend to be a bit more concerned with the cheat-proofing of the game than keeping a trivial functionality that virtually nobody ever used.

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 10/28/2007 8:48:09 AM >

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 6
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 10:24:16 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

Just our bad luck?

You play a game. If it doesn't go well, you learn from your mistakes and play it again. If you need to "fix" something in a single-player game, then save frequently and replay from whatever point you think you "broke" it enough to be "fixed".

Sorry, but I still haven't heard what I consider a compelling enough reason to leave this feature in. Even from those members of the beta team that have used it, once or twice in a blue moon, to monkey with their scenario designs. Call it bad luck, if you wish, but having been on the short end of the stick, from someone cheating in a tournament game, I tend to be a bit more concerned with the cheat-proofing of the game than keeping a trivial functionality that virtually nobody ever used.

Philosophically, I tend to think trying to prevent cheating is futile. If anything, making the effort legitimizes the activity. After all, then the cheater is 'winning' in a sense. Just leave it easy to do and the guy will have a harder time deluding himself as to the moral texture of what he just did.

However, I can see your point. On the other hand, I certainly can see times when one would want to edit a game for development purposes. I wouldn't mind being able to just run Seelowe to turn 4 and then edit that file to test the effect of various possible changes. In a scenario where the effects to be examined start occurring around turn 40, the need could be imperative.

Couldn't the file just be clearly marked as having been edited somehow -- or couldn't it be made impossible only in PBEM play?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/28/2007 10:26:58 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 7
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 10:39:29 AM   
Ian R

We're at cross purposes JAMiAM.

I was thinking of what happened with WitP - bugs cropped up where units dissappeared into the twilight zone, and air unit replacement splinters got hopelessly fractured all over the place, ships scuttled themselves at odd moments, that sort of thing. Not just changing the on-going results.

Hopefully TOAW III is more stable.

I was also thinking of what I used to do in Pacwar - once I had sunk all the Japanese carriers I would go in and edit them back in as reinforcement Taihos and Unryus to spice up the later part of the game, sort of the opposite of what you are describing.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 8
RE: How do I edit a Saved Game? - 10/28/2007 10:13:59 PM   
sPzAbt653

I agree with Colin's points, and as I never Pbem, there is no cheating issue here. It would save alot of time if there was the ability to edit a game in progress, so as to avoid having to run thru many turns to reach a certain point. It may be quite an experience to fix something at turn 80, only to find out I broke something from turn 40. And wouldn't it be fun to receive a pbem file that throws up a dialogue box that tells you 'You're opponent has edited this file' ?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> How do I edit a Saved Game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI