Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Europe 1939 Turn 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Europe 1939 Turn 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:00:28 PM   
tweber

Started a game as the Axis playing Seille, a veteran tester. Thought an AAR would be helpful in describing one of the more complex scenarios.

In the first turn (September, 1939), the Germans blitzed into Poland, captured Warsaw, and forced the Poles to surrender. The Western Allies declared war on Germany. This AAR starts on turn 2 (Oct 1939).

In general, Germany has the initiative through most of 1942. The war heats up in the spring. I spent most of my turn shifting forces West. Here is a picture of the Western front at the end of the turn.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:05:13 PM   
tweber

The Germans have a weak holding force in the West. You can see the Southern wing of my Polish invasion army moving West (currently on the road north of Munich). The highlighted unit is the HQ coordinating the Maginot line. I struck it hard with my airforce to destroy some artillery and probe for the Western airforce.

The picture below shows my production. Right now, I am producing only supply and political points. Political points act like a currency in this scenario. I can use them to purchase units via action cards. Note that Warsaw is a production center that is red. It was damaged by the battle in the previous turn. Damage cities heal naturally. You can accelerate this by using engineers for repairs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 2
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:11:20 PM   
tweber

The war is generally quit until the Spring. The Axis is not allowed to attacked Scandanvia and the Low Countries until April (turn 8). I will use this time to get ready. The action card page is shown below. You can purchase real, or abstract units or influence the war with action cards. I decide to purchase a fighter wing. It will come in handy in the upcoming war in the West. (Note the color coding for different classes of action cards)

This scenario models strategic warfare abstractly. Both the West and the Germans can purchase units that attack and defend political points. Germany has 3 basic strategies in the early game:

- Invade Britain
- Buy a lot of uBoats to isolate the West
- Neutralize the West and then invade the Soviet Union.

The trick with doing well is to hide your hand as long as possible. The West will try to guess my intentions and adjust his strategy accordingly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tweber -- 10/26/2007 6:20:02 PM >

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 3
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:16:24 PM   
tweber

You have to plan several turns ahead. In the picture below, you can see that I am trying to sneak a uboat fleet around great Britain. I have to be careful not to be found since The West has strong naval forces in the area and I am beyond the range of German air units. I turn off anti-supply. With anti supply on, I will sink supply lines that the West may be tracing to or front Gibraltar. But, I will also give away my position. I want to operate off the coast of Spain or in the Bay of Biscay. If I decide to invade, I might try to turn on anti supply the turn before I try to land to lure the Royal Navy away from Britain.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 4
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:25:58 PM   
seille

I played this scenario now about 10 times versus Tom and except one time i
lost all games. Hehe, but against the scenario designer and very experienced player that´s ok.
However i don´t give up and try again and again (as long Tom is not too bored by my attempts...).
We had some very close games and the hope is still there.

Each of the games i changed my strategy a bit. With the awesome depth of this scenario you can play a lot of different
strategies, but only a few can bring the victory to Germany.
1. Total air war (including the capure of Great Britain)
2. Total sub war

If point 2 runs well the allied defense will break together after some months (except the german player won´t use this advantage well enough)

At the start the western player is the defender and the german player is the attacker.
If the allies survive until 1943 things will change and the axis player will come under very big pressure.
Unfortunately i did not reach 1943 so far as allied player !

This scenario is full of events and rules you need to know when you´ll be successful here.
But these depth is it why i like that scenario so much. You need 1-2 games to learn, but after that the fun starts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, my start.
Without telling too many secrets:
I spent some of my PP income on upgrades. Flak II (germans have a incredible advantage in the air at the start)
and rifle II (to make the maginot line harder to break)

@Tom
I really don´t like to see your troops behind the front. Gives me a too big advantage
You don´t want to grey that part out and show only the troops i can see myself when playing the turn or
study the combat history ?
Or we have to work with a delay of 3-4 turns instead of one.

PS: This is not one of the more complex scenarios. The MOST complex one

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 5
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:29:28 PM   
tweber

Don't worry, I will only let you see what I want you to see. ;)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 6
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:32:27 PM   
seille

Lol.

Btw, i know your intensions ALWAYS.

-Sinking my ships
-Destroying my planes
-Grabbing as much of my PP income as possible
-Getting control over as many of my cities as possible

Did i forget something ?  

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 7
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 6:41:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

Great to see an AAR of this scenario, by the designer no less. A great design and I hope I'll have time to PBEM this one day.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 8
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 7:29:46 PM   
Kipper

Following the AARs is a great way to learn this wonderful game (and good for marketing too;-)).
Keep it up!
Kipper

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 9:18:48 PM   
leastonh1

Hi Kipper,

I just said pretty much the same thing to seille, as I'm following this one closely. I've bought a few Matrix games on the strength of an AAR and not regretted it so far.

Regards,
Jim

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Kipper)
Post #: 10
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 10/26/2007 10:33:37 PM   
seille

TURN 3-7 READ HERE  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1598207&mpage=1&key=?

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 11
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 11/24/2007 6:32:43 AM   
jjdenver

Hey guys,

I noticed that the allies have some HQ's with 1 cargo ship as a subformation: Egypt HQ, Malta HQ, French Africa HQ, Gibraltar HQ, etc.

So - what does having the cargoship do for them exactly? Does having a cargoship allow them to ship supply to subordinate units across water? Or does it let them transfer subformations to subordinate units across water?

Should the cargoship generally be left as part of that HQ or should it be detached as a separate unit to ferry units around? Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Also - the Brit HQ in London has the Gibraltar HQ as a subordinate unit. The Brit HQ in London has 2 cargoships attached. If I detach the cargo ships as a separate unit and move the Brit HQ from London to Birmingham or Manchester - does this mean that no supply can flow to Gibraltar HQ from London HQ because London HQ has no cargoships attached to it?

Thanks.

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 11/24/2007 8:07:00 AM >

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 12
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 11/24/2007 10:33:09 AM   
seille

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver
I noticed that the allies have some HQ's with 1 cargo ship as a subformation: Egypt HQ, Malta HQ, French Africa HQ, Gibraltar HQ, etc.

So - what does having the cargoship do for them exactly? Does having a cargoship allow them to ship supply to subordinate units across water? Or does it let them transfer subformations to subordinate units across water?

It allows to transfer troops and it allows to send supply to ships in sea.
These cargoships are VERY important. Agressive players may also use them for surprising (and risky)
naval invasions.
quote:

Should the cargoship generally be left as part of that HQ or should it be detached as a separate unit to ferry units around? Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Both. That depends on the situation. When you want to do a amphibious invasion or evacuate troops you need cargo ship units.
When you want to transfer subformations over water you need them in the HQ. I often use these ships to feed my naval units
so i can keep them longer in sea and don´t have to send them to a port for resupplying.
quote:

Also - the Brit HQ in London has the Gibraltar HQ as a subordinate unit. The Brit HQ in London has 2 cargoships attached. If I detach the cargo ships as a separate unit and move the Brit HQ from London to Birmingham or Manchester - does this mean that no supply can flow to Gibraltar HQ from London HQ because London HQ has no cargoships attached to it?

Supply would still flow. The only disadvantage would be that you can´t send troops to Gibraltar. But why anybody should do that ?
Gibraltar is a arrival hex. BUT: I never let Gibraltar HQ attached to UK HQ since these route is too vulnerable to enemy subs. Better not too attach Gibraltar
to any other HQ and let arrive the supply directly in Gibraltar by action card.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 13
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 12/1/2007 12:10:47 AM   
jjdenver

Hey guys,

Under what conditions will Poland surrender? Just the turn after Warsaw is taken or is there something else that has to be done?

Thanks

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 14
RE: Europe 1939 Turn 2 - 12/1/2007 11:34:00 AM   
seille

When Warsaw is taken by the germans. This usually happens in turn 1 or 2.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Europe 1939 Turn 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI