Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WIR2 is comming

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> WIR2 is comming Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WIR2 is comming - 10/9/2007 10:33:22 PM   
PyleDriver

This is no Joke, Gary has taken WIR2 out of mothballs, and is getting it ready for alpha testing around the first of the year. They will be looking for testers then...I've been testing for Gary and Joel since January on War Between The States. So keep and eye out if your interrested, I'm sure we'll post something.

Jon
Post #: 1
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 7:58:13 AM   
Silvanski

Well... that would be nice

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 2
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 11:30:14 AM   
Vorsteher

I am interested.

M.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 3
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 6:43:38 PM   
balsampear

ура!

(in reply to Vorsteher)
Post #: 4
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 8:16:12 PM   
Josans

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

This is no Joke, Gary has taken WIR2 out of mothballs, and is getting it ready for alpha testing around the first of the year. They will be looking for testers then...I've been testing for Gary and Joel since January on War Between The States. So keep and eye out if your interrested, I'm sure we'll post something.

Jon

Oh1its great at last!!! 2By3 journal was more happy about dates But I think is a great event for the people are still playing WiR. Really I thought that Gary never will remake the game. I can wait one or two years... if I finnaly see WiR2. Really, I hope, I think you are not joking as WiR is my second wife Btw, my wife dont speak english so surely I should have a problem in my home now if she reads that Well, I hope so

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 5
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 8:43:33 PM   
PyleDriver

Josan, this is Jon. My pen name was "Die Kriegern" some 5 years ago, when Dave and others were so interrested in the game. We never played one another, but everyone said we should have...I'll keep you guys posted, we have 3-5 months left on WBTS. When thats completed, we should start alpha testing. The game won't be called WIR2, but will have some eastern front name...

(in reply to Josans)
Post #: 6
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 9:05:43 PM   
Terminus

No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it. When people start posts with "This is no joke", my nose starts twitching...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 7
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 9:11:09 PM   
Josans

quote:

Josan, this is Jon. My pen name was "Die Kriegern" some 5 years ago, when Dave and others were so interrested in the game. We never played one another, but everyone said we should have...I'll keep you guys posted, we have 3-5 months left on WBTS. When thats completed, we should start alpha testing. The game won't be called WIR2, but will have some eastern front name...

Oh, i rebember! Seems you are a CIA agent, working in secret for wir2... Just joking no matter the name wir2 will have if it is do it by 2by3... ! I know there are a long way to go right now, but from 1991 I still looking for the definitive Eastern Front game...

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 8
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 9:13:00 PM   
Josans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it. When people start posts with "This is no joke", my nose starts twitching...

There is a good guy here...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/10/2007 9:20:47 PM   
DrewBlack

Bring it!!!!

This is excellant news!!

(in reply to Josans)
Post #: 10
RE: WIR2 is comming - 10/11/2007 12:52:13 AM   
DeadInThrench

Hmmmm.... relative to the previous iterations... shouldn't it be WiR FIVE?

I believe WiR Matrix edition is the 4th edition so a new one would be the fifth.

DiT

(in reply to Josans)
Post #: 11
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/11/2007 3:25:38 AM   
PyleDriver

I believe Garys breaking the mold, so it realy won't be any WIR. It will be a grand scale eastern front game, other than that, only Gary, Joel and Kieth know for sure.

(in reply to DeadInThrench)
Post #: 12
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/11/2007 6:05:37 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

I believe Garys breaking the mold, so it realy won't be any WIR. It will be a grand scale eastern front game, other than that, only Gary, Joel and Kieth know for sure.

I hope it keeps some features from WiR which are good, like the ability to shift corps/divisions ...and has expanded equipment lists like in the Possum mod

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 13
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/11/2007 7:01:05 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I've already got my name in the playtester queue. At least I hope I do. Anyway, whatever happens DON'T do some area movement RTS thing ! PLEASE DON'T !!!!

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 14
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/11/2007 6:59:56 PM   
DeadInThrench

Hmmm.... if it is a totally new engine..... then I imagine WiR: Matrix Edition.... will still go on as a classic.... just like PacWar and War in the Pacific.

IMO.... Gary should really consider a western front game or two to interlock with the eastern front game.

One thing... not available yet in computer strategy wargames that I know of.... but it's just a matter of time.... Ding! Right now... there is direct internet play and PBEM..... with 'Ding'.... would be something in between..... you do you turn normally but... when you are done and the game has been saved... instead of ending..... it tries to connect to the other player (assuming the players set things up at the start for this)..... and if it gets the connection... it sends the save file over immediately. On the other side..... you get the Ding and an icon on the lower right command tray..... becomes animated.... showing that... it's your turn!

For this to work... both players would have to open up a (user definable) port in their firewall... and leave the game running (minimized typically)... but if they do this.... would speed up PBEM play (well, maybe this should be called PBXM or something)... the time it would take to get a game done... immensely.

Also... a Barbarosa scenario please... that would end at the end of September and thus be a 15 turn game and thus a scenario that you could complete relatively fast and thus allow for... repeated play. Probably another one that would end after the Soviet winter counter offensive... for situations where the Russian player wants a chance at a counter attack. Otherwise... the set of scenarios included with WiR... would probably cover the scenario need.

Yeah... takes a while for things like this to come to light (!!)... lol. So, maybe I will get back into WiR again. Haven't really played it since Second Front. Brought up Case Blue again and it's like... yeah... top priority.... move that railhead as fast as possible.. and otherwise.... as much as possible surround and attack soviet units so they will be eliminated and not be able to come back.

Whatever,

DiT

< Message edited by DeadInThrench -- 10/11/2007 7:03:43 PM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 15
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/11/2007 7:23:23 PM   
DeadInThrench

Jeffrey... as far as area movement is concerned... tell me about it!

I would almost surely have purchased World at War.... but when I saw it was area movement... I took a pass.

Yeah... I imagine there are some that like area movement.... but I guess I am not one of them.

I bought this ETO game many, many moons ago.... was called Storm Across Europe... and IMO was a disastor with the area movement. Then.... the same designer came back a few years later and redid the game... now called Clash of Steel.... this time with army level counters and hex based movement.... and I managed to get this from the abandonedware sites and IMO is really pretty good... just that SSI at the time did a real poor job in marketing it.

Whatever... with area movement you lose all the operational strategy and... that is a big loss.

Yeah... at some point 2x3 might just consider an iteration on World at War.... with a hex based sytem but... I am sure they have more than enough work on the table so... whatever.

DiT

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 16
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/12/2007 9:27:29 AM   
jontegrabben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I've already got my name in the playtester queue. At least I hope I do. Anyway, whatever happens DON'T do some area movement RTS thing ! PLEASE DON'T !!!!

How does one become a playtester?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 17
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/12/2007 7:05:35 PM   
Joel Billings

There's nothing new to report regarding our new Eastern Front game. Gary has been working hard on it for several months, however there's a lot that still needs to be done before we will be ready for testing. Keith is the bottleneck as his time is very limited and we still need him to finish his work on War Between the States before he can go on to Eastern Front and help Gary with the GUI. We could easily be six months from having a testable game, maybe more, it mostly depends on Keith's availability. You can be sure that we'll have more to say in our developer's journal as we get closer to a testable version, and we'll let people know on the Matrix forums when we're looking for testers. The interest has been huge for years now so I'm guessing we'll get 5 tester applications for every tester we'll need.

(in reply to jontegrabben)
Post #: 18
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/12/2007 7:10:42 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeadInThrench

I bought this ETO game many, many moons ago.... was called Storm Across Europe... and IMO was a disastor with the area movement. Then.... the same designer came back a few years later and redid the game... now called Clash of Steel.... this time with army level counters and hex based movement.... and I managed to get this from the abandonedware sites and IMO is really pretty good... just that SSI at the time did a real poor job in marketing it.

DiT

Storm Across Europe was done by Dan Cermak (author of Colonial Conquest and longtime SSI Producer), while Clash of Steel was designed by someone else (I seem to recall the designer was German, but I could be wrong about that).

Post #: 19
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/12/2007 8:17:57 PM   
Josans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

There's nothing new to report regarding our new Eastern Front game. Gary has been working hard on it for several months, however there's a lot that still needs to be done before we will be ready for testing. Keith is the bottleneck as his time is very limited and we still need him to finish his work on War Between the States before he can go on to Eastern Front and help Gary with the GUI. We could easily be six months from having a testable game, maybe more, it mostly depends on Keith's availability. You can be sure that we'll have more to say in our developer's journal as we get closer to a testable version, and we'll let people know on the Matrix forums when we're looking for testers.

quote:

Than you for the info!!!hex based or areas ? I know that your continous delays were mainly for WitP, a monster game for players, I dont want to think as for would be for you all! And now with a couple of good releases about ACW, WBTS must show something new, addictive... more delays for wîr

quote:

The interest has been huge for years now so I'm guessing we'll get 5 tester applications for every tester we'll need.

quote:

So do you have a best seller here! A game from 1991 still playing! So people interested... release the game before another Game Company...sure all we win

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 20
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/12/2007 8:30:30 PM   
Vorsteher

quote:

while Clash of Steel was designed by someone else (I seem to recall the designer was German, but I could be wrong about that).

The name could be Martin Scholz.

V.

(in reply to Josans)
Post #: 21
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/12/2007 9:28:06 PM   
DeadInThrench

OK, I stand corrected on 'same designer'.... I misread the review on SAE on mosw.com where it said that 'Martin Scholz revisited the subject in 1993 and designed CoS'..... thinking it meant he had been the designer of SAE as well.

I read elsewhere that the problem with CoS was the initial release was 'bug city'.... and then when they fixed all the bugs they rereleased it as a 'new' game called CoS: Future Edition... and with that... they added 100 years to all the dates (e.g. 2039, etc) as a marketing plow (sheesh). Easy to go into the exe file and replace those dates with the real ones but.... all this and all that caused CoS to be less successful than it should have been. Right now, available out there on the abandonware sites and, really interesting for a game done back then but... probably not gonna find others that play it.

Speaking of SSI.... I had purchased Gettysburg: Turning Point and Rebel Charge at Chicamauga from them but.... these were both ports from Atari/Commadore versions and... the command contol in both of these... is broke.... with lousy commanders getting good ratings and good commanders getting lousy ratings... to the point where the advanced game in these two is unplayable... and I remember talking on the phone with them once about this and they seemed responsive and asked me to send my data in but.... yeah, never did that.

In any case... I have fired these two up recently... intermediate game.... simply because I don't see anything out there on that era that I am impressed with.... and the AI in these games seems to be MUCH better than other games that I have played for this era.... making organized attacks instead of just throwing units in piecemeal.

What the wargaming community could sure stand... is a game that is to 'battles' what TOAW3 is to wars. Battles in this case like Gettysburg as opposed to The Marne or The Battle of the Bulge.... where the commander of the battle was on the battlefield and could see everything or just about everything... in which case you want figurines instead of counters (which are more appropriate for the wars).

With such a game.... could have scenarios for any battle all the ways from the Battle of Marathon to the Battle of Gettysburg. Yeah... the scenario designers would have to tweek the artwork for their particulare figurines as well as put the scenario together.

Hmmm... yeah... my apologies for getting off topic here but... there is gonna be a wait before there is even playtesting on a new WiR so... whatever.

DiT

< Message edited by DeadInThrench -- 10/12/2007 9:31:16 PM >

(in reply to Vorsteher)
Post #: 22
RE: WIR2 is coming - 10/12/2007 10:46:05 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jontegrabben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

How does one become a playtester?

Frankly, not having actually been one, I can't say for sure. I emailed a person @ 2x3 when it was first rumored that there would be a WIR2 in development and voulenteered. I got a noncommmital response that seemed to indicate I would be considered once it was time for playtesting. But who actually knows what will happen ?

Good luck.

(in reply to jontegrabben)
Post #: 23
RE: WIR2 is comming - 12/31/2007 5:22:42 AM   
madgamer2

I assume he will start with the really bad version that is on this web site now. It does not even look or play like the old version. It would not be so bad but its what they did to the game that is so sad. M<aybe you can tell me why they made such a different game out of it.

Lawrence

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 24
RE: WIR2 is coming - 12/31/2007 5:42:57 AM   
madgamer2

It looks to me (being old) and remembering the late 70's when very LARGE board war ames became the latest ad. It was almost like they were making them just because they could. I have this fleeting thought that Computer games are getting in to the sam e rut. The monster War board game hit the high mark with SSI's War In Europe and that other game with the german Dag Nag...something or other,
With a computer a large game can be done much better. With games such as WitP a lot of folks play them but few finish them except for the PBEM players. I love the hours I spen playing the AI in WitP but I do not have the time to do that and play PBEM games as well. Why is it that some one comes out with a board or computer game on say the east front WW@ 2 somebody wants to have the west front added then the world at division scale'
I am not putting this down mind you but am I the only one who is thinking in the back of my brain "where willit or should it all end? In a couple of decades when these old bones of mine are dust computer games will be like comparing the horse to a sports car. I guess if you have the tech and the people with the $$$$ then they will just keep making them bigger and bigger. I think age must be taking its toll on this old guy so I better stop while I am still behind LOL

Lawrence

Post #: 25
RE: WIR2 is comming - 1/17/2008 12:15:24 PM   
Koniev

Hi all -

It's been awhile since I was on this board. I sometimes get taken over by MS Flight Sim and PacWar.

I've played PacWar and WiR for years and have enjoyed both a great deal.

I recently decided to take a "graduate course" in the Pacific campaign and bought WITP. It's fun, but it's a helluva learning curve.

I'm currently trying to do the same thing with WIR and am taking a close look at "The Operational Art of War". Now, I read this thread and am wondering if maybe I shouldn't wait for a WIR II.

One thing about TOAW is that it has some other scenarios, like Nomonhan, that are historically interesting to me.

May I have some thoughts on TOAW III as a "graduate course" in WIR and what is the latest on WIRII?

Thanks.

"Those who don't remember History are condemned to relive it" George Santayana

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> WIR2 is comming Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI