Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are gaming addictions real?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Are gaming addictions real? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are gaming addictions real? - 10/8/2007 2:37:32 AM   
KG Erwin

Mofo -- Mr. Boats pre-empted me. I wanted to delete this, but I talked about PC/PS2/ whatever gaming addictions being somewhat similar to a gambling addiction.

I brought it up because, yeah, I'm addicted, and I'm loving every minute of it!

I started to portray this as some sort of detriment to family togetherness, but, hell, we ALL play the games. We share our experiences, so maybe it isn't such a bad thing.

No one loses any money, so I realize now that my original post was complete hogwash. Glad I took the time to rethink my position.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/8/2007 3:48:43 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 3:13:04 AM   
MrBoats

I think we are like obsessive collectors who fill houses with refrigerator magnets or salt and pepper shakers. It may indeed be an addiction, but it's an addiction that does provide some benefit to the addict beyond the fulfilling of an urge. Through wargaming I have learned volumes about history and I have "met" (online) hundreds of like-minded enthusiasts who have encouraged me to think about all kinds of topics I might never have looked into on my own.

Having said that, I admit that gaming has taken up most of my free time for years. I have avoided a lot of social activities in order to get "just one more session" in. But I am an intensely private man anyway. I just know what I like to do and what I don't, and from the age of thirteen or so I found I liked wargaming more than any other hobby. This forum, in particular, has enabled me to make contact with like-minded people all over the world, so the antisocial aspect of the hobby has actually been offset by the opportunities offered by the internet.

Wargaming is, I think, a relatively inexpensive "habit." I've probably spent less on games, computers and internet access than most hobbyists spend on their passions. I may be wrong, but I think that addictions come to be the most expensive parts of addicts' lives, to the point where food and clothing become secondary concerns. It hasn't happened to me -- yet! --but I have delayed paying bills in order to get the latest Matrix release from time to time.

To sum up, it's probably a mild addiction, but one that does return some benefit to the addict.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 3:55:49 AM   
KG Erwin

You are absolutely right, MrBoats. I'm basically a loner, BUT, I have found friends who share my peculiar interests via the internet.

Maybe we ARE different, and a bit eccentric, but we are not alone. That is a crucial point. It alleviates potential feelings of alienation and god knows what else.

(in reply to MrBoats)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 5:30:24 AM   
cdbeck

KG Erwin, while I didn't see your first post, gaming addiction is very real and a very big problem. Not in this field of gaming, but mostly in the MMORPG genre. And, unlike Wargaming, these do cost monthly money and take far more time than your typical round of Korsun Pocket, TOAW or even WitP.

I once saw a "special" report (perhaps on, gasp, Oprah) about a guy who was so addicted to WoW that he went home to "rest" while his wife was in labor and missed his child's birth while playing the game! There are others who lose jobs, friends, spouses, and even their lives due to constant MMORPG. In Korean (where MMORPG are approached like a job) there have been a handful of people who have died because they sat constantly in all-night internet cafes with very little time for stretching, bathroom, or eating (probably died from a mix of exhaustion and from blood clots that can form from a excessive amount of certain types of sitting, tends to happen only to certain people who have a rare condition on airplanes). A while back a man's family sued one of the MMORPG games (fruitlessly) blaming the fact that he became a shut-in and committed suicide over an in-game disappointment on the MMORPG's style.

To be fair, MMORPG are set up, to use the techinical psychological term, as a "variable ratio positive reinforcement schedule." What this means is that the "player" can expect a positive outcome from their actions, but they do not know the schedule or the magnitude of the outcome. Sometimes the magnitude is small (a few gold), sometimes it is huge (an ultra rare item), but most of the time it is nothing or just a "maintainance" outcome. This is EXACTLY like a slot machine, one of the most addictive forms of gambling. The psychology behind this is that the subject, who recieved at least one moderately large positive outcome early on, will keep coming back for the chance to get a larger and even more impressive outcome. Every positive "hit" will further reinforce, and because the schedule is unpredictable, the reinforcement sticks longer and is much stronger.

I don't see wargames as being like this though. For the most part, positive reinforcement is relatively predictable and understandable. Sure, dice rolls and suprise moves can effect things, but the player has some much control over the outcome, due to planning and proper understanding of the game's "rule set" that you can tell if a move was going to net positive results often before you make it. You can get engrossed, and if you play PBEM then you are actually socializing which is a GOOD thing mentally speaking, but I doubt many people develop gambling style addictions to wargaming.

Buying games, well, that's another matter. And it really doesn't matter if it is a game or a car, compulsive spending rarely has anything to do with the object being bought.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 6:33:07 AM   
ilovestrategy

Maybe gaming can be a serious addiction but I bet there are a lot more people addicted to drinking, drugs, smoking, and gambling that playing a game. Maybe people do take gaming too far because of addiction but how many more people let those other addictions ruin their lives?
A lot more than comp and video games I bet. The media just loves to single out our favorite past time.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 7:13:17 AM   
pad152

What happened to the good old days? When everything was blamed on sex, drugs, and rock&roll! Now it's texting, cell phones, and video games, how lame is that!

ilovestrategy - I like the kung-fu cats!

< Message edited by pad152 -- 10/8/2007 7:19:06 AM >

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 9:03:26 AM   
ilovestrategy

Thanks Pad 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 10:26:53 AM   
cdbeck

Wait... the government should think tobacco and alcohol are bad? How can they with all that lobby and tax money flowing into their pockets! 

Sure, cigs are more addictive than video games, but you aren't likely to miss a funeral/birth/wedding/entire-work-day by smoking (at least until you get really sick).

My argument is that MMORPG = Gambling without the chance for real money pay-out (virtual item payout instead).

SoM

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 11:44:14 AM   
MrBoats

KG Erwin,

I'm not sure what happened exactly -- I read your original post, posted mine, then everything disappeared, only to reappear. I didn't know if you wanted the thread deleted or if it was Matrix. No pre-emption intended. Your original post really got me thinking.

For the record, I'm addicted to sugar. I used to go out at 3am in NYC in Dodge City (Roosevelt Avenue in the late 80's, dodging gunfights) just to get a bottle of Coke from the local bodega. Even now I get shaky if I don't have sweets handy.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 6:48:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Posting on forums... is it an addiction?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MrBoats)
Post #: 10
RE: Are gaming addictions real? - 10/8/2007 7:11:32 PM   
Neilster

Gaming addictive? Um...no time to reply. I'm about to cut off and destroy a large chunk of Army Group North Ukraine.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 9:06:10 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Posting on forums... is it an addiction?

Yes!! See Termie for an example...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 10/8/2007 9:07:59 PM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/8/2007 10:54:33 PM   
Awac835

As a former World of Warcraft player, its a MMORPG for all the old people in here  , i would say that gameing addiction is something found only in that genre.
And gameing addiction in a MMORPG isnt expensive when it comes to money. Ofc it can be if you insist on buying gold on Ebay or something. But i would rather say its expensive in time.
I can safely say i was addicted. How do i know? well, when you start makeing up lame excuses as to get more time playing then its bad.
I cant describe what it is that makes it so damn addicting. I think its the fact that you have all these different people you get to learn and some great sense of achivement and community when you play with them (here i talk about high end raiding).
But looking back i also think its kind of sick tbh. If you wanned to play with the best you had to spend time farming potions etc, farming materials for gear, farming gear in low level dungeons etc. and on top of that you need to raid 5-6 evenings a week from around 19 to 24.
In that ½ year time i played i had logged in some 40 days of playing. And guys, thats 40 = 40*24 = 960 hours in front of my computer in ½ a year. You do the math on how much as that is pr day average.
Sometimes i go in a check the forums. And my god if i dont see some of the people i played with still playing. And they played just as much as i did. and they are running on there second to third year now.
But i will never ever play a MMORPG again. Im not saying MMORPGs are bad but some people just gets to hooked while others seem to control it better. Well i smoke at partys, but would for the life of me never do it other then at those occasions, different things for different people.

I dont play it anymore and havent done so for 1½ year now. I remeber when i stopped i suddenly realized how much time i actualy had to do other stuff. My grades at the university have taken a quite a step up since that to.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 13
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 12:12:14 AM   
sullafelix

I think we are mixing up physical addiction and psychological addiction. The MMORPG addict in my opinion hates his real life and needs an alternate existence to what he considers to be his hell on earth mundane existence. I play rpg's and really get involved with them. You ( or at least I ) can get much more involved with them than your wargames. Unless you are dressing up like the Kaiser and slipping into madness. You need to have a game that gives you another life to have problems like we are talking about. as someone pointed out compusive spending on sims or games is totally different and has an underlying mental issue. I believe that there are people with addictive personalities ( I'm one of them ) and we just change our addictions at times. The rush from wearing armor and killing five ogres is on a completely different level than kicking Wellington's butt. There was nothing to compete with MMORPG's before computers. You could be in the Society for Creative Anachronism and not much else. By the way some of those people took it way over the top and had no " real " life. So to me our collective dream at times of escaping reality has somehow been fufilled in some peoples minds by MMORPG's. We grognards know in the back of our minds what Waterloo was really like. So the escapism isn't there as much. Who of us wants to be drinking muddy water and having the soldiers curse in some bushes while waiting to be dismembered by a twelve pounder?

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 14
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 12:45:27 AM   
Awac835

Sulla05 thx for pointing out i hate my life

I dont think you can generalize MMORPGs addicts in such a way. Sure some really do have mental problems like some drug addicts who need drugs to get by there crappy day, or the chinese world of warcraft player who played 3 days straight and dropped dead from lack of sleep.

But i wouldnt put myself in that group. Ahh well maybe im just in denial.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 15
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 1:41:34 AM   
sullafelix

It could be that having had addictions I think differently. I and most if not all of the recovring addicts I've talked to hate the way the word " addiction " and  " disease " are bandied about. I for one have never believed that the stories coming out of the asian countries are real. I consider them along the lines of the Loch Ness Monster. Unless these people were ingesting something to keep them awake it just wouldn't happen. Soldiers in dire situations have finally crashed so I can't believe how these people wouldn't.

I was refering to the people who do have problems. Take the two in Las vegas that starved their children because they were " addicted " to gaming. Only problem with that one was they were fat and happy. Now if everyone in the house was emaciated I'd believe it. It might be that many more people would have gone off the deep end if the knew about the SCA. Or it's something in our brains that allows the computer world to take over our reality that much easier.

Just to clarify. I do believe that people can get totally absorbed in a MMORPG and lose their jobs wives etc. I just don't believe in the far out stories, without some other ingredient.

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 16
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 6:48:17 AM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05
The MMORPG addict in my opinion hates his real life and needs an alternate existence to what he considers to be his hell on earth mundane existence.

This is a rather spurious and almost offensive assertion. Psychologically, I really don't think that it has anything to do with one's feeling about their Real Life. I like my real life fine, yet I get semi-hooked on World of Warcraft (not addicted, I'm too impatient).

It is the Variable ratio positive reinforcement schedule that hooks people. You just never know when that Helm of Valor, Krol Blade, or Arcane Crystal is going to appear or drop. It could be the next ore node or monster. If not, then the one after. Maybe the next raid (I did get "addicted" to Baron runs, trying to get his blade and my warrior armor). People get addicted because they want to be better than others in-game and the only way to do this is to collect the reinforcement pellets (read "loot") that blizzard's servers dole out unpredictably.

That is what makes gambling and MMORPG playing so insidious. People can be perfectly happy with their lives at first, ruining them in their addiction. Now, as their lives get more and more ruined, the player tends to go back thinking "well, if I win one or get that loot, I can justify my time spent." But I really don't see it as an "escapist" mentality... Unless you drink whiskey everytime you play WoW.

SoM

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 17
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 8:18:53 AM   
SemperAugustus

What would the alternative be for really people addicted to games so much that it affects their lives in really bad way, e.g. the WoW gamer above? Would they be well adjusted people without addictions if no games existed? I think not.

IMO Gaming addiction, if it can be called it, is only a symptom of a problem of an obessive personality rather than an problem itself. It can't be classified a problem itself, because there are no external chemicals involved, e.g. tobacco, narcotics or alcohol. If you are addicted to stimulus (thus chemicals generated by the body itself) from games, any similar stimulus will generate the same behaviour.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 18
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 12:29:55 PM   
MrBoats

If I may add to an earlier post of mine: our "addiction" is the only one I know of in which the addict winds up with more stuff than he started out with. I have purchased dozens of books as the result of playing wargames. I'll get a game and want to learn more about the subject, so I buy a few books. I think I have twenty or more books on Normandy as a result of having played HPS's PC Normandy.

I've known drug addicts who lost literally everything in order to feed their addictions, to the point where they wound up on the street dressed in hefty bags. I have the opposite problem, although it's hardly a problem at all.

(in reply to SemperAugustus)
Post #: 19
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 7:53:13 PM   
sullafelix

My apologies if I have not been clear. I have always been talking about someone who has a real problem, loss of job etc. types. I was never discussing the for want of a better term " medium " addicted ( as I consider myself ) person. everyone needs a good amount of escapism, be it WOW or conan books.

As as as " obsessive " personalities I don't think that is a good description. If you meant people with OCD  ( which I have ) it wouldn't fit at all. Now a person with an addictive personality would fit perfectly. In answer to MrBoats, again I think the discussion is about real addicts who do lose all they have to gaming. Not people who really get into a subject. Our love or deep interest in history is no different than a Harley lover or a gun collector. Actually compared to some male interests ours is fairly cheap. Though I don't think you would get our wives to agree.

(in reply to MrBoats)
Post #: 20
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 8:17:40 PM   
MrBoats

Sulla,

...Or girlfriends, mothers, small children, pets....

I have gotten more negative reactions than positive when I talk about wargaming. I think people outside the community picture us pushing plastic soldiers around a sandbox. I defy most "civilians" to figure ot WITP in the time it takes to figure out Monopoly. (No offense to Parker Brothers!)

As for the obsession of gaming -- it's certainly not anywhere near the level of OCD. I meant that I have bought quite a few games just to have them, and when I enjoy a game I can spend hours engrossed in the experience. But I never missed a day of work because of gaming. It's like recording six football games and watching them back-to-back, or sitting through a Start Trek marathon. What's the harm?

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 21
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 9:36:12 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrBoats

Sulla,

...Or girlfriends, mothers, small children, pets....

I have gotten more negative reactions than positive when I talk about wargaming. I think people outside the community picture us pushing plastic soldiers around a sandbox. I defy most "civilians" to figure ot WITP in the time it takes to figure out Monopoly. (No offense to Parker Brothers!)

As for the obsession of gaming -- it's certainly not anywhere near the level of OCD. I meant that I have bought quite a few games just to have them, and when I enjoy a game I can spend hours engrossed in the experience. But I never missed a day of work because of gaming. It's like recording six football games and watching them back-to-back, or sitting through a Start Trek marathon. What's the harm?

Yes, but when you combine OCD and wargaming you have quite a concoction on your hands.

I suffer from OCD.

During the Golden Age of Boardgaming I bought at least one if not two new games every payday. That's why I have a collection of several hundred board wargames.

My obsessive compulsive buying moved from board to computer games and after years of satisifying that thirst I now have somewhere on the order of 400-500 computer games.

I got back into model building (tanks of course) about a year and a half ago and my model kit stash is approaching the 250 mark.

Did I mention that I am also an incorridgible bookworm and have a military history collection approaching 1000 books?

There is nothing wrong with OCD....it keeps me off the streets and many, many merchants in business!

(in reply to MrBoats)
Post #: 22
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/9/2007 11:53:39 PM   
sullafelix

Hans you sound like my twin. Although even when you go to our extreme it really doesn't add up to some guys. I know plenty of people with $ 30,000 Harleys and boats and all kinds of atv's etc. At least we never bought all these things on credit. The guys I know that have those " boy toys " are all up to their necks in debt.

I know what you mean about negative reaction. I always liked George Carlin until he ripped our hobby to shreds on a tv special. He pretty much said we are all sick little twisted nazi wannabees for playing wargames. I haven't watched him since.

As far as " civilians " go I have two examples. One manager alluded to the fact that my job wasn't technical enough for me to be considered for a different job. I came in the next day with the Falcon 3 manual and dropped it on his desk, I never heard another word. In my job I had a boss doing inventory on a whole stack of small stamped parts ( roughly 1/2" ) and he dropped the stack. I told him no problem I could figure it out in no time. I put it all together but he still didn't believe I had done it correctly. Until that is the next day when I dropped a monster boardgame on his desk, can't remember which one. Never heard a peep again from him either. 

As far As the OCD factor. I'm obsessive and the other people I know are so it's possible that if your compulsive kicked in for WOW you would have real problems. But even then I don't think a compulsion could stop your normal body functions and let your body shutdown from marathon gaming. I agree with the people above that these people who do lose their whole lives savings etc. have a deep underlying mental problem and if it wasn't WOW it would be something else. I do believe from my own experience and others I have talked to that escapism whether from a bottle or a game or whatever makes your brain click. That ( and again I stress to the extreme ) the beginning of a problem of this nature is a run from reality.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 23
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/10/2007 12:15:41 AM   
MrBoats

Sula05,

You deserve a for using wargames to prove a point. I wish I'd have thought of doing something like that. And that's hard to hear about Carlin -- I thought he was pretty cool too. But it's all too typical of so many people. It's the same "military men pray for war" mentality. My sister once said that my studying military history meant that I wanted the U.S. at war all the time. I replied that doctors who study AIDS want us all to get AIDS. I got the set-jawed "you just don't get it" look. I study warfare because it involves all forms of human endeavour under the most trying of circumstances.

I'm straying too far from the topic, but I think our hobby is as "legitimate" as any other, and judging by the quality of the discourse in these forums, it has benefitted a whole bunch of us.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 24
RE: Are gaming addictions real? - 10/10/2007 4:19:57 AM   
KG Erwin

This discussion has developed much better that I thought it would. Thanks, guys.

For certain types of gamers, we can get a level of mental stimulation that might be absent in your everyday work/family life. In this case, it's good for you.

Like Mr. Boats, wargaming has encouraged me to delve into real history more. Same goes for my fascination with PS Baseball, which has developed into a significant subgenre of Matrix and the forums. If you love baseball, it has a fascinating history of its own.

All of this may or may not make you more interesting to talk to at a party. I guess it depends on the crowd you're with.

I can't address MMORPG. I don't even know what that is. Would someone explain this to me?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 25
RE: Are gaming addictions real? - 10/10/2007 1:08:42 PM   
sullafelix

It means Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Like World Of Warcraft etc. These types of game have been the ones in the news for players killing themselves and others.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 26
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/10/2007 1:42:30 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Sula05,

You deserve a for using wargames to prove a point. I wish I'd have thought of doing something like that. And that's hard to hear about Carlin -- I thought he was pretty cool too. But it's all too typical of so many people. It's the same "military men pray for war" mentality. My sister once said that my studying military history meant that I wanted the U.S. at war all the time. I replied that doctors who study AIDS want us all to get AIDS. I got the set-jawed "you just don't get it" look. I study warfare because it involves all forms of human endeavour under the most trying of circumstances.

I'm straying too far from the topic, but I think our hobby is as "legitimate" as any other, and judging by the quality of the discourse in these forums, it has benefitted a whole bunch of us.

I have had a deep interest in both science fiction and fantasy literature throughout my life as well. When my best wargaming buddy got married in order to get his wife to agree to the weekly guys wargame night at their home, he had to agree to do something she liked as well. She was interested in playing Dungeons and Dragons. One of my younger brothers was in to it and was an experienced Dungeon Master. We started playing D&D on Friday nights so the guys could have their 'beer and poker" (substitute "wargame") night on Saturdays. We all really enjoyed the D&D.

As a result of having played D&D I got into computer medieval character role playing games which lead to a 4 year stint playing Ultima Online, followed by another 3 year stint playing Dark Age of Camelot. In UO I and another player who was a Major in the Army dreamed up a way to implement structured team warfare....which is exactly what DAOC was all about. DAOC is based around teams of players working together to siege castles in the MMORG environment. After DAOC got old I moved to WOW along with a lot of other friends but I never took to it. I didn't care for the cartoonish graphics and I had finally burnt out on the MMORG genre.

KG Erwin, the MMORG genre is an interesting phenom. One can quickly get caught up in the social aspects. I would get home from work, feed my cats and "log on" to my "virtual" community for social interaction every evening, finally logging off at bed time. We formed "guilds", bascially social groups for adventurng together. I was co-Guild Master for a guild of over 300 people in DAOC and regularly led forays into the frontier to fight against the enemy realms in battles to control the frontier castles. I had my cable TV disconnected, My nightly entertainment came through the computer in the form of interacting with people all over the world. I have never gone back to the TV genre. Just like these forums, the MMORGs were a vehicle that allowed me to meet, interact with, and strike up friendships with people all over the world.

(in reply to MrBoats)
Post #: 27
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/11/2007 1:03:17 AM   
Arctic Blast

For me, I got in to wargaming as it was something I had in common with my dad. Even during my teenage years, when I was the typically 'pleasant' adolescent male, he and I could still take our turns hotseating a game of War in the South Pacific, or Panzer General. I just never shook off the habit. Like others have mentioned, they have also let to an interest in history in general, which in turn has led back to renewed interest in the games based on the history, completing a horrifically addictive downward spiral I shall enjoy being snared in for the rest of my days.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 28
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/11/2007 6:35:43 AM   
Zap

quote:

If I may add to an earlier post of mine: our "addiction" is the only one I know of in which the addict winds up with more stuff than he started out with.

Mr Boats, dont you remember Emelda Marcos 5,000 or so shoes?

(in reply to MrBoats)
Post #: 29
RE: Is Gaming Addiction Real? - 10/11/2007 8:29:32 AM   
MrBoats

I have been "Zapped," I guess! Where is she now, anyway?

Seriously, that's why I compared us to collectors at the start of the thread, rather than to addicts of other sorts. But Zap has a valid point, nonetheless. Although.................at the risk of being beaten to death by Jimmy Choos.......I think the shoe thing is hard-wired into females at birth.

Disclaimer: I love, adore, respect, admire, desire and exalt women. My remarks are not sexist in any way.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Are gaming addictions real? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI