Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thanksgiving

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Thanksgiving Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 5:54:04 PM   
Jason Petho

Good day, good day.

It is Thanksgiving here this weekend in the Great White North, therefore I will be absent as I am venturing with my better half to British Columbia for the weekend.

I should return sometime Monday.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Post #: 1
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 5:57:01 PM   
AZKGungHo

Have fun Jason! If anyone deserves a break it's YOU!! 

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 2
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 7:12:37 PM   
PunkReaper

Wrap up I imagine its a bit cold up there!

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 3
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 7:29:51 PM   
1925frank

Is it a coincidence that Thanksgiving in Canada coincides with the start of the hockey season?  Or is the start of the hockey season the reason for Thanksgiving?  I suspect the hockey season has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but I'm not Canadian, and I've heard Canadians love their hockey.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 7:45:24 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

Is it a coincidence that Thanksgiving in Canada coincides with the start of the hockey season?  Or is the start of the hockey season the reason for Thanksgiving?  I suspect the hockey season has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but I'm not Canadian, and I've heard Canadians love their hockey.

What is this hockey thing you speak of?

Just kidding. Just not a fan. That would be just a coincidence though, Thanksgiving celebrates the wrapping up of the harvest.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 5
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 7:52:55 PM   
1925frank

It's a great time of year, and it's a great thing for a county to take a day off just to give thanks. 

Enjoy your holiday!

Post #: 6
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 8:38:29 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

It's a great time of year, and it's a great thing for a county to take a day off just to give thanks. 

Some traditions are hard to break, I guess!

quote:

Enjoy your holiday!

Thank you, muchly! I am looking forward to it indeed!

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 7
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/5/2007 10:08:26 PM   
Geomitrak

Happy Thanksgiving to you Jason...and all the other Canadians here.

Regards
Paul

Post #: 8
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/6/2007 12:51:33 AM   
Arctic Blast

Thanks, guys. Yes indeed, it shall be a weekend of laziness and stuffing insane amounts of food in to my face.

Oh, and I also 'celebrate' American thanksgiving...by which I mean, I take the day off and sit on the couch, watch football and drink beer.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Geomitrak)
Post #: 9
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/6/2007 1:21:46 AM   
1925frank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Thanks, guys. Yes indeed, it shall be a weekend of laziness and stuffing insane amounts of food in to my face.

Beer drinking is conspicuously absent from this description of how Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving. Tell me this isn't so.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 10
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/7/2007 12:34:28 AM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

Beer drinking is conspicuously absent from this description of how Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving. Tell me this isn't so.

Well, I figured it would just be assumed, actually. but, yes, to make you feel better, there are a couple cases in the fridge right now...minus the half empty bottle in front of me.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 11
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/7/2007 11:17:22 PM   
1925frank

Whew!  My faith is Canadians is restored.  A holiday without brewskis is like a day without sunshine.  (Just kidding, but a good beer has its moments.)

Post #: 12
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/8/2007 4:49:54 AM   
Arctic Blast

And several good beers produce...many good moments? (I apologize for the lameness...I have had several good beers).

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 13
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/8/2007 5:44:14 AM   
1925frank

That's the spirit!  (Pun intended.) 

Post #: 14
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/10/2007 6:15:55 PM   
1925frank

Well, that lame pun went over like bird droppings in a punch bowl.  You could hear a pin drop.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 15
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/10/2007 8:34:50 PM   
british exil

I thought the pun quite funny.
Maybe the Canadians just have a different sense of humour.
Or they were too busy drinking a few pints to read your message.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 16
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/10/2007 9:49:15 PM   
1925frank

The British excell at wordplay.  I greatly appreciate the compliment, especially one coming from a Brit.

The Canadians have been quite quiet.  Should we call the Mounties?  It has been several days.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 17
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/11/2007 1:00:30 AM   
Jason Petho

Crazy busy times around here, although I am still trying to come by and assist when I can.

I need a drink.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 18
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/11/2007 1:15:12 AM   
Arctic Blast

No, no more beer...just a bad case of 'work'.

Post #: 19
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/13/2007 1:52:57 AM   
junk2drive

So Jason, how was the trip? Have any Kokanee? Fall colours? Apples?

Post #: 20
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/13/2007 9:01:35 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

So Jason, how was the trip? Have any Kokanee? Fall colours? Apples?

Trip was brilliant, although far too short.

Lots of fruit. Not so many fall colours in the Okanagan yet as the weather is still quite pleasant, the drive out is always scenic though.

No, didn't have a Kokanee. A few Granville Island Lagers though, which I can't seem to find in Alberta. Ahh, reminds me of Munich.

Jason Petho

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 21
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/13/2007 10:30:34 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Granville Island Lager? Geez, and here I thought that we in Quebec had bizarre beer names. Have a Maudite, or a Fin du Monde, for that truly armaggedon-like feeling. ( it packs a 9% content, not recommended on empty stomachs)
Anyhoo, welcome back.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

Post #: 22
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/13/2007 10:48:18 PM   
junk2drive

I don't recall GIL but my wife says she does and liked it. She has been to Vernon for winter carnival in Feb and driven on the frozen lake, other years no ice or snow.

Glad you are back home safe.

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 23
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/13/2007 11:54:20 PM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Granville Island Lager? Geez, and here I thought that we in Quebec had bizarre beer names. Have a Maudite, or a Fin du Monde, for that truly armaggedon-like feeling. ( it packs a 9% content, not recommended on empty stomachs)
Anyhoo, welcome back.

We have an affection for poutine, hard to come by out here. We had a friend bring back some sauce mix but kurds are scarce.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 10/13/2007 11:58:24 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/14/2007 6:50:37 AM   
1925frank

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Anyhoo, welcome back.

Maudite and Fin du Monde? I haven't heard of them (or of GIL), but with names like that, I don't know how anyone could resist.

Regarding Quebec, I heard Jeff Fillion describe local French music (not the rock) as perfect music to listen to when committing suicide. I'm assuming he was referring to those slow ballads the French are so fond of.

Jason, on another thread, you mentioned you were doing some maps for a Napoleonic book and that it entailed new challenges. That left me to question what could be different from making a contemporary map (other than the location of buildings). After giving it some thought, I know that rivers can shift radically. When the Missouri shifted, part of Iowa ended up on the Nebraska side of the river (or visa versa, I no longer remember, but it's Carter Lake, Iowa, if you look on a map). I've also heard when the Red River shifts along the Texas-Okahoma border, some farmers end up paying for land they no longer own and can no longer farm, which I took to mean their deeds said they owned everything either south or north of the river, and when the river shifted, they ended up owning far less than they bargained for. On the History Channel, there was an episode on the Battle of Hastings (?) in 1066, and (don't ask me how), but they were able to determine that the English coast had changed radically over the past 1000 years. I guess that's a long-winded way of saying congratulations on landing the work, and I hope it all works out.

Post #: 25
RE: Thanksgiving - 10/14/2007 6:55:17 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Jason, on another thread, you mentioned you were doing some maps for a Napoleonic book and that it entailed new challenges. That left me to question what could be different from making a contemporary map (other than the location of buildings).

No, actually the maps themselves are fairly straightfoward, it is just the delivery time for the required set of maps that is far sooner that would be traditionally. That is the challenging, fortunately, I have fairly decent time management skills.

quote:

After giving it some thought, I know that rivers can shift radically. When the Missouri shifted, part of Iowa ended up on the Nebraska side of the river (or visa versa, I no longer remember, but it's Carter Lake, Iowa, if you look on a map). I've also heard when the Red River shifts along the Texas-Okahoma border, some farmers end up paying for land they no longer own and can no longer farm, which I took to mean their deeds said they owned everything either south or north of the river, and when the river shifted, they ended up owning far less than they bargained for. On the History Channel, there was an episode on the Battle of Hastings (?) in 1066, and (don't ask me how), but they were able to determine that the English coast had changed radically over the past 1000 years. I guess that's a long-winded way of saying congratulations on landing the work, and I hope it all works out.

Thank you, tis appreciated! 'Tis always a bonus to have a hobby (military history cartography) that also helps pay the bills, or helps to put something aside for other hobbies.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Thanksgiving Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI