Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go crazy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go crazy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go crazy - 10/3/2007 7:18:16 PM   
cdbeck

Ok... so I must be going nuts.

I saw this game, called Dwarf Fortress, mentioned on another message board, and, despite the fact that it is done wholly in ASCII characters, I keep coming back to play it. It isn't a "wargamer" per se, although fighting and warfare does play a role. It is more of a grand strategy, survival, building sim that plays a bit like the settlers series. It takes a bit to get into, but once you figure it all out, I bet you will be hooked.

Best of all, it is free, so Ravinhood should be pleased.

If you need help, I suggest going to the DFwiki. That will get you started and lead you through the learning period.

Let me know what you all think, or just tell me I lost it and berate me for playing games where characters look like @ symbols!

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Post #: 1
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/3/2007 7:59:29 PM   
TheHellPatrol

Oh crap, i just hurled my breakfast on my $4600 laptop. Sorry, there is only so much "retro" a guy can handle.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 2
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/3/2007 8:30:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

I tried this too and found that my ASCII/ANSI days are likely behind me. Frankly, it also seemed pretty darn micro-management heavy. With that said, the gameplay seems quite deep and if I still had a lot of free time I'd probably give it more of a try.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 3
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/3/2007 10:21:32 PM   
ravinhood

I still find AH's ASCII "Planet Miners" quite a bit of fun and even "MIDWAY", nothing but text and *'s with some letters to represent the ships is about all they are. Planet Miners is probably the mother of all 4x space games.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/3/2007 10:39:51 PM   
Zakhal

I think I had enough of that in the 90s.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/3/2007 10:40:02 PM   
cdbeck

Hey RH, check this out:

Planet Miners on Virtual Apple 2

Yeah Erik, I think you are right, it has a lot of Micromanagement. I would love to see this updated to a graphically more pleasant style. Although, this isn't an "old" game, it is still being made and updated all the time (developer is adding a Z-axis to it).

SoM

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/3/2007 10:54:45 PM   
ravinhood

Yeah Erik and how about an AH "Circus Maximus" updated with todays graphics? ;) Now that's a fun game that could be played online in a few hours. ;)

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 7
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/4/2007 12:32:01 AM   
Erik Rutins

Circus Maximus is a very fun game. We generally play that at the local convention each year - with a big arena and Lego Chariots, Horses and Drivers (so you can remove them to reflect damage).

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/4/2007 6:43:06 PM   
cdbeck

I remember some game about Rome from my past (PC game), but I can't remember the title. This particular gamer had it all, you were a political leader, you could control the chariot races (if you crashed two guys with a gurney came out and threw you on it, once I had them throw me over it), you controled the gladiator fights, you had diplomacy with the tribes and controlled the battles (the battle music was distinctive starting something like, Daaaaaaah Dun, Dun da da). I still remember the "Release the Legions" button that let your soldiers out of formation to chop up the mostly poorly armed Gauls. If I remember correctly, only Egypt was a real threat. It was set in Julius Caesar's time. NOTE: Just found the name of the game, it was a 1990 EA game called "Centurion: Defender of Rome."

Very fun old game, loved it as a kid. Way off topic though...

I have to say, I still play Rouge-Like games. Dwarf Fortress is one thing, but every now and then I load up ADoM or the like. And I will never forget cutting my baby teeth on ASCII-like "Lords of Conquest." And who could forget the poor graphics yet endless gameplay of "Seven Cities of Gold." We need more of these "off the rails" type of games that give ultimate control over what you do and basically let you explore and act on your leisure. I guess this is why I was a little disappointed say, when I saw that Vic's very open-ended, random, Empire clone, People's Tactics was turned into a very "on-the-rails-by-the-book" WWII sim. Now I know that the freedom is still there, but having set-up "important" battles gets a bit old and kills replayability. ASCII or not, I love freedom and emergant content that the player builds with small interactions.

SoM

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 10/4/2007 6:45:14 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/4/2007 7:08:23 PM   
ravinhood

"Centurion Defender of Rome" SOM. One of the better Ancients games I might add. Another of that time period was called merely "CARTHAGE" and you got to ride a 3D chariot in that one in a sort of 3rd person view behind it. Then the overland strategic game was moving sticks with flags on them to oppose one another. Not as flashy as "Centurion Defender of Rome" though. Centurion had the gladiator fights as well. I could do those pretty good but I always crashed trying to drive the chariots in the horse racing part. ;) Oh and the far greater force to contend with in CDoR were the Parthians. They were the last nation I finally defeated. Egypt was easy compared to them and all those cavalry units they had. Even elephant armies were easier than the Parthians.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 10/4/2007 7:12:39 PM >

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 10
RE: DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go... - 10/5/2007 12:02:55 AM   
cdbeck

I seem to remember killing the rider made elephants a huge liability... as they should be.

I believe C:DoR was an "Ancient" spin off of the very popular and very fun Defender of the Crown. Both had tons of stuff outside of warfare to do, which made them so much fun.

I still think freedom is key, and that is what old games did best. They let you basically do it all, and go crazy doing it. So much fun...

SoM

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> DwarfFortress - or how I left graphics behind to go crazy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI