Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Christmas is Coming!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Christmas is Coming! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Christmas is Coming! - 10/1/2007 8:39:13 PM   
PunkReaper

Well still a while off but if Father Christmas is going to get it right this year I thought I'd plan early.
Dear Father Christmas
I have been pretty good this year so I would like the following and dont let me down:
1. WitP
2. one of the following EiA, John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars, Harpoon - Commanders Edition if any are ready.
3. A good war documentary: Hell in the Pacific, The World At War - Complete TV Series

Can anyone suggest a good war documentary that is out on DVD? and what is on your christmas list (provided you have been good).

Post #: 1
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/1/2007 10:16:47 PM   
ravinhood

All the Talonsoft Civil War Campaign games all in a nice $39.95 bundle would be nice. ;)

You can have WitP I barely can play some of these other games that take days to play let alone a game like WitP that takes months and years.

Wish I knew what that documentary on PPS was last night I'd recommand that. It was like from 1936 to 1946 of pretty good footage and information from the rise of Hitler to the end of the war.

I'll be looking forward to Matrixgames Christmas discounts as usual. ;) How about a 50% off chrismas special this year Matrix? hehe

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 2
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/1/2007 10:43:36 PM   
BlindOldUmp

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

<SNIP>
Wish I knew what that documentary on PPS was last night I'd recommand that. It was like from 1936 to 1946 of pretty good footage and information from the rise of Hitler to the end of the war. <SNIP>

that was Ken Burns WAR as far as i know. - Only PBS docuentory on last night on DISH that fits the description.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 3
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/1/2007 10:54:07 PM   
ravinhood

This was on cable though channel 13. I was flippin between it and the football game and some Sci-Fi show about some dude in a boat and a chick and kid looking for "Dry Land" lol and these "Smokers" were after the kid who had some map to it supposedly drawn on her back. I never have been good at names, but, I never forget a face.

(in reply to BlindOldUmp)
Post #: 4
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 2:00:11 AM   
martxyz

The 4 X 1 Hour documentary series "Hell in the Pacific" is a good buy Punk Reaper. It has a rather cliched tital but the series is incredible. It is, as I recall, mostly about US and Japanese troops (and now veterans talking of their experiences and feelings), but it is a shock to the system, however much you already think you know. To hear people talk of that level of hatred in themselves (mostly now passed, reflected on,and regretted) really makes you sit up.

I have the DVD of the series. A must; but not an easy watch.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 2:09:26 AM   
Erik Rutins

Please do keep us in mind for your Christmas wishes and yes, we'll be having a Christmas sale as always this year, though we haven't finalized the date or details yet.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 6
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 5:14:21 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Well still a while off but if Father Christmas is going to get it right this year I thought I'd plan early.
Dear Father Christmas
I have been pretty good this year so I would like the following and dont let me down:
1. WitP
2. one of the following EiA, John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars, Harpoon - Commanders Edition if any are ready.
3. A good war documentary: Hell in the Pacific, The World At War - Complete TV Series

Can anyone suggest a good war documentary that is out on DVD? and what is on your christmas list (provided you have been good).

World War 1 in Colour is a bit of a bargain at 8 quid.

http://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000BXBX8/ref=s9_asin_image_3/203-8562825-7073565?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=06BY7BWZVFTSZE7EXT4G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=139042191&pf_rd_i=468294

This series is excellent but a bit pricey.

http://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001DI56W/ref=s9_asin_image_2/203-8562825-7073565?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=06BY7BWZVFTSZE7EXT4G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=141221991&pf_rd_i=468294

I think I paid about that in Pacific Pesos here in Oz, which means it was about one third the price.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 10/2/2007 5:17:17 AM >

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 7
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 8:08:54 AM   
Zap

Okay, but here in America we have two holidays before we get to Christmas. Halloween and Thanksgiving. Its a little too early to start thinking about Christmas.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 8
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 8:46:15 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Please do keep us in mind for your Christmas wishes and yes, we'll be having a Christmas sale as always this year, though we haven't finalized the date or details yet.

Erik I really do think you should at least start your Christmas special a bit earlier this year like in November after Thanksgiving or the week after that so these guys lovely wives and girlfriends can jump on the savings earlier and be sure to get the games (the physical copy ones anyways) to their hubbies and boyfriends without worry of the mail service and its physical rush and all being too slow for them to arrive before Christmas. ;)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 3:36:49 PM   
PunkReaper

Thanks Neilster I have put both of hem on my Wish list. It is strange being a Brit on this website. When I consider the WW2 it is usually the European conflict that dominates reading and discussions and the pacific war is hardly mentioned. I suppose it isn't surprising when nearly all my relatives fought in Europe except one grandad who was sunk in the Prince of Wales and ended up in a Jap prison. So next year will be the year of the pacific war with WitP, a good book with plenty of nice maps and pictures?, and Hell in the Pacific DVD. Then I will perhaps be a bit more knowledgable about that theatre of conflict.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 4:20:46 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

quote:

Erik I really do think you should at least start your Christmas special a bit earlier this year like in November after Thanksgiving or the week after that so these guys lovely wives and girlfriends can jump on the savings earlier and be sure to get the games (the physical copy ones anyways) to their hubbies and boyfriends without worry of the mail service and its physical rush and all being too slow for them to arrive before Christmas. ;)

I'll second that - and a "Buying a wargame for someone as a present - click here" button on the website would help with that as well.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 4:51:36 PM   
Neilster

quote:

Thanks Neilster I have put both of hem on my Wish list. It is strange being a Brit on this website. When I consider the WW2 it is usually the European conflict that dominates reading and discussions and the pacific war is hardly mentioned. I suppose it isn't surprising when nearly all my relatives fought in Europe except one grandad who was sunk in the Prince of Wales and ended up in a Jap prison. So next year will be the year of the pacific war with WitP, a good book with plenty of nice maps and pictures?, and Hell in the Pacific DVD. Then I will perhaps be a bit more knowledgable about that theatre of conflict.

I really got into the Pacific war when I understood naval matters better, especially power projection.

Another interest is what I call the "war of the periphery"; operations in the Arctic, Indian and Southern Oceans, East Africa and other out of the way places. There was quite a lot of action in these little known theatres.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 12
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 5:03:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

quote:

I'll second that - and a "Buying a wargame for someone as a present - click here" button on the website would help with that as well.

I agree with all those suggestions, but with the schedule we've got pre-Christmas it remains to be seen what we will actually be able to work out. Ideally, I'd love to make buying simple for spouses and relatives with some kind of "Wargame Buying For Dummies" recommendation list and gift-wrapping offered as well, but I doubt all of that will happen this year simply because there aren't enough hours in the day/week/month.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 13
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 5:08:18 PM   
PunkReaper

Wish Lists are really good on amazon for spouses to look at and buy from and the idea would work well here. Or I could just buy the games myself , wrap them, give her the bill and look surprised on Christmas day like I do most years.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/2/2007 6:25:27 PM   
BlindOldUmp

quote:

Wish Lists are really good on amazon for spouses to look at and buy from and the idea would work well here. Or I could just buy the games myself , wrap them, give her the bill and look surprised on Christmas day like I do most years.

Do you give lessons on looking surprised ???? my wife doesn't do computers so she lets me do the buying. She ALWAYS looks surprised but it's not an act ....

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 15
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/3/2007 6:16:22 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Bah Humbug...

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to BlindOldUmp)
Post #: 16
RE: Christmas is Coming! - 10/5/2007 12:10:19 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

If you can ,as well, a spellcheck "click here" button would be nice.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Christmas is Coming! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote