Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Paradox announces Rome.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Paradox announces Rome. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 10/3/2007 9:15:19 AM   
ilovestrategy

YES! 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 31
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 10/3/2007 10:39:34 AM   
String

wait... what?

Since when is ravinhood a paradox fanboy???

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 32
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 10/3/2007 10:42:16 AM   
Charles2222

I sure do wish I had written that J30Vader post! I don't mean to Paradox so much, but the whole computer gaming industry. To add to their observation somewhat, can you imagine getting an HDTV and the remote has some buttons that don't work? After 3-4 attempts to ship a remote that works, they finally send a working one; six months later.

Where do you lay the blame? I used to think it was the programmers' faults for the most part, but being in IT for over two decades, I think I know where the problem lies. Unfortunately, if I am correct, this will only get worse with time. I'm thinking it is due to whoever owns the company, or partially owns the company, ends up being people who are not in IT. People outside of IT think about us as expenses, never bringing anything in, and while that's not really true of these software company's programmers, I'm not too sure that non-IT people very often have the slightest idea there is a difference. The software, afterall, when it really comes down to it, is just intellectual property, but it's not something as durable as a book, nor is it something that is easily repeated over an extended period of time; unlike tricycles for example. I see this getting worse with time, because at least in the wargaming arena, it looks like the days of buying a box at a store are long gone. Now it looks like it's more and more just some nothingness that someone downloads into their computer. Of course there are people willing to pay for that nothingness, but if people are foolish enough to pay for nothing, will they really care that they get a finished product out the door? Any sort of attitude like that is of course fanned by those who are so fanatical that they would rather be tooling around with a broken product for ages, as opposed to playing something else until it's made very well. Granted, anybody can and should come out with at least one patch, just as a feedback to fans ideas if nothing else, but certainly not drag on for months the fixing of very significant flaws.

I suppose one thing that upsets a lot of us is improper utilization of staff. We see all sorts of time spent on superfluous window dressing that fans want and still the core isn't fixed, or weak attempts made at best. It's like we're thinking all the support staff are completely at the company's discretion and that they just choose to add fluff over substance, and yet a good many of the staff aren't capable of fixing the substance. Of course the worst of it is when the substance isn't fixed and we happen to find out that those who do fix that substance are already on a different project. Once the money is in the pocket, it's over to something else that will put more money in the pocket. And that attitude sounds very much borne out of the accountant's interference in the business. If the programmers spend practically no time fixing the significant flaws, just how likely is it that you will get repeat customers?

I don't know, I think part of the problem is the basic outlook of the business, that people who play games on computers are childish, and you only satisfy children by distracting them with yet another shiney object.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 10/3/2007 10:48:30 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 33
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 10/3/2007 2:51:51 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

wait... what?

You confuse Paradox the PUBLISHERS with some of Paradox's games. Some of their games are fun, not all of them though. But, PARADOX the PUBLISHER well that's another story (ain't no fanboy of Paradox the Publisher). :) I still buy most all of their games less than $10 and will wait until they are less than $10 99.9% of the time. ;) I will wait on this Rome thing and the expansion coming out for CK. Paradox games just don't hold their water/value at all. Victoria was the quickest sinking ship game they made of all when it fell to .99 cents within 2 months of release. lol

(in reply to String)
Post #: 34
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 10/3/2007 10:24:48 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

wait... what?

You confuse Paradox the PUBLISHERS with some of Paradox's games. Some of their games are fun, not all of them though. But, PARADOX the PUBLISHER well that's another story (ain't no fanboy of Paradox the Publisher). :) I still buy most all of their games less than $10 and will wait until they are less than $10 99.9% of the time. ;) I will wait on this Rome thing and the expansion coming out for CK. Paradox games just don't hold their water/value at all. Victoria was the quickest sinking ship game they made of all when it fell to .99 cents within 2 months of release. lol

My personal experience (Doomsday and Revolutions) has shown that the expansions tend to be well though through and bug free. As they are released only through the paradox webstore at gamers gate AFAIK they are unlikely to drop in price.
Btw, the expansion is available on the 4th of october 9:00 CET. So in approx 12hrs from this post.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 35
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 10/3/2007 10:45:03 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

quote:

quote:

wait... what?

My personal experience (Doomsday and Revolutions) has shown that the expansions tend to be well though through and bug free. As they are released only through the paradox webstore at gamers gate AFAIK they are unlikely to drop in price.
Btw, the expansion is available on the 4th of october 9:00 CET. So in approx 12hrs from this post.

Hearts-Iron: Doomsday Expansion This one will drop in price already has and been lower than the $19.95 listed atm.

As far as Revolution goes who would want that anyway? Lol Victoria was the worst selling main game of the entire Paradox line.

Anything Paradox or any other company for that matter puts in a box and distributes at a brick n mortar or online store is going to bargain bin eventually. If they go totally direct download from gamers gate then an only then can bargain bin prices be discontinued. But, as far as expansions go that's not biggie anyways, it's the main games I'm talking about. SO, when Rome come out we'll see if it's only thru gamers gate. If not, it will be bargain bin price some day. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 10/3/2007 10:50:29 PM >

(in reply to String)
Post #: 36
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 10/4/2007 12:14:06 AM   
String

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

wait... what?

Hearts-Iron: Doomsday Expansion This one will drop in price already has and been lower than the $19.95 listed atm.

As far as Revolution goes who would want that anyway? Lol Victoria was the worst selling main game of the entire Paradox line.

Anything Paradox or any other company for that matter puts in a box and distributes at a brick n mortar or online store is going to bargain bin eventually. If they go totally direct download from gamers gate then an only then can bargain bin prices be discontinued. But, as far as expansions go that's not biggie anyways, it's the main games I'm talking about. SO, when Rome come out we'll see if it's only thru gamers gate. If not, it will be bargain bin price some day. ;)

Victoria might be the worst seller, but it still has a dedicated fanbase. I liked it, and i got revolutions as well. I still play it from time to time.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 37
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 3/15/2008 8:36:19 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Veronica Lake. ;) Ain't she purty

you will like this site then

http://www.doctormacro.info/Movie%20Star%20Pages/Lake,%20Veronica-Annex.htm

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 38
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 3/15/2008 9:24:25 PM   
06 Maestro

Paradox Interactive puts out some of the buggiest crap on the market. I have a couple of their games, including HOI2 DD Armageddon. I have had HOI for about 2 years. Until about 3 days ago, it had some horrendous, hard coded bugs. Things such as "ghost fleets" which would spawn until your PC crashed, or the multiple techs which when researched would take you in the opposite direction from where you want to go, and so on. Their games have great concepts, but to pretend those are bug free is a little ridiculous.
I knew about the new Rome game for some time, and may buy it soon, but not until I see a few reports as to how it is actually working.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 39
RE: Paradox announces Rome. - 3/15/2008 9:28:32 PM   
Grell

Hi Rav,

Wow she is beautiful (Veronica Lake). OTOH Paradox does not get me fired up anymore sadly.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Paradox announces Rome. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI