Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shall I Shant I?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Shall I Shant I? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shall I Shant I? - 7/24/2007 4:29:44 PM   
typhoon

Tempted just by the subject matter. Tempted also because this is the guy who bought us Summter to Appomatox.
However have just purchased ACW from Aegod and Commander from Slitherine is this game worth the arguements with the Mrs that another purchase will merit. If it plays as good as either of the above then Yes but someone please sell it to me. I've read all I can find but still I'm unsure. I think I would like it to be easy on gameplay yet heavy on detail lots to micromanage and think about every turn is this that game?
Post #: 1
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/24/2007 5:29:49 PM   
LarryP

Here's a start:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1522321

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 2
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/24/2007 10:32:25 PM   
typhoon

Though nobody sold it to me I'm a glutton and sold it to myself.Took the plunge downloading now. No sleep tonight I hope.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 3
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/24/2007 11:33:59 PM   
sol_invictus

That's the spirit, over the top!

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 4
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/24/2007 11:38:20 PM   
Williamb

My usual barometer is watching the games AARs. If it seems interesting there I usually take the plunge. It was reading the AARs of WITP that convinced me to pay the most I have ever payed for any game.

I agree this area of wargames is sadly underdeveloped. WWI is barely covered by most wargames.

Still Id like something that is more encompasiing. Dont want a one dimensional game like to see a WWI game with Naval and air power added to it.

As always wait and see.

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 5
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/25/2007 12:52:57 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

I think I would like it to be easy on gameplay yet heavy on detail lots to micromanage and think about every turn is this that game?

Gameplay is simplicity itself - heck you get to move each unit 1 hex perturn...apart from strategic movement which is limited in capacity (and is affected both by how many units you move and how far yuo move them....a combination not seen often enough in wargames!!)

then you choose whether to attack or not....

and betwen seasons you get to do production 7 strategic stuff....which is also simplicity....you have "x" points (usually less than 20 for any country until late in the war)......you get to spend them....is it better to spend that alst point on some moer aircraft........or equipment for replacements or perhaps in allocating the resources necessary to get your navy to sea........or maybe you want to use it to research something.....decisions decisions........

the game is simple...but not simplistic! :)

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 6
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/25/2007 1:04:38 AM   
SMK-at-work

If you want to see some AAR's from various BETA's try http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1385724, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1412520&mpage=2&key=

they aren't complete - the 2nd one crashed due to a bug, the 1st one shows what sort of fun you can sometimes have...:)

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 7
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/25/2007 5:07:09 AM   
typhoon

3 out of 3 well this is the third of my recent purchases and following a conversation with MRS Typhoon earlier allso the last for awhile. I just want to say that after 4 hours or more of play I reckon this might just be the best of the bunch although they are all good this one is probably the most addictive at least for me. Although wont know for sure till I can get a PBEM going. Not dissappointed like I said before it might not be the best interface in the world and Yes the Manual could be beefed up but who cares it plays just lovely. And if you listen hard enough you really do hear the boom of guns and it's not even August yet. Great stuff but please no more games for a little awhile.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 8
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/25/2007 6:11:12 AM   
flintlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: typhoon

Great stuff but please no more games for a little awhile.

By the sounds of it, at least not if you wish to keep the peace at the home front. ;)

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 9
RE: Shall I Shant I? - 7/25/2007 7:46:57 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: typhoon

following a conversation with MRS Typhoon earlier allso the last for awhile.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Shall I Shant I? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI