Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can you edit units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Can you edit units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can you edit units - 6/9/2007 11:38:46 PM   
Steely Glint

Can you actually edit units? The Matrix product page says that "Lastly, John Tiller’s Campaign Series comes complete with Unit, Map, and Scenario editors" but my gripe with the campaign series was that you were stuck with the stock unit values and unit weapons and could not mod them or customize them in any way. Can you edit a unit and then have that edited unit then show up in all scenarios involving that type of unit (e.g., say take a 75mm Sherman unit and upgun it to a 76mm Sherman unit), or not?

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
Post #: 1
RE: Can you edit units - 6/10/2007 12:07:37 AM   
Ladmo

Steely Glint,

I think the description should have read Order of Battle editor. The only way to edit the units is to edit the platoon.oob file manually then convert it to an obx file the game will recognise.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 2
RE: Can you edit units - 6/10/2007 12:10:02 AM   
Steely Glint

I was afraid of that. No purchase for me, then.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

(in reply to Ladmo)
Post #: 3
RE: Can you edit units - 6/10/2007 12:24:21 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

I was afraid of that. No purchase for me, then.

The encryption tool is available online, so you can create your own units.

Alternatively, you could let us know what units you're looking for and we could add them!

Jason Petho

Post #: 4
RE: Can you edit units - 6/10/2007 12:40:41 AM   
Steely Glint

Jason, what I want to be able to do is to modify the existing units and change their weapons and then be able to use those modified units in the existing scenarios (that is, replace the stock units with upgraded or downgraded custom ones). Can that be done with the encryption tool?

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
RE: Can you edit units - 6/10/2007 12:44:08 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

Jason, what I want to be able to do is to modify the existing units and change their weapons and then be able to use those modified units in the existing scenarios (that is, replace the stock units with upgraded or downgraded custom ones). Can that be done with the encryption tool?

Yes it can.

Although if you intend on playing against human opponents, it would be highly recommended that you let them know you have altered your weapon values.

Jason Petho

Post #: 6
RE: Can you edit units - 6/10/2007 2:49:44 AM   
Steely Glint

Thanks, I'll buy it now.

And no worries, I only play against the AI.

Post #: 7
RE: Can you edit units - 6/10/2007 11:28:31 AM   
asiaticus

Many of the new units added were variant types of standard tanks, vehicles and artillery and other types of units.
For instance there are several types of Sherman tanks, with aplique armor and better track systems that the US started adding to improve and protect its units from the Gernan AT guns and tanks.

Look thru the unitext.

There is not much that was available historically (or hypothetically) that does not appear especially in EF and WF.

Post #: 8
RE: Can you edit units - 6/11/2007 1:52:31 AM   
Ladmo

Jason explained this to me before in a polite, persausive, and not nonsense manner, but I still hold out hopes for leaders both in tanks and on the ground that can shoot. The mod I am attempting to get off the ground reduces the scale of the game and everybody has got to have offensive firepower, not just in the form of a morale modifier. I cannot make that with the encrytion tool, but I hope one day to derive an irresistable pitche to the effect that such a new unit type could really open up a lot of possibilities for mods we hadn't even dreamed of before. The purist will probably scoff and I respect that. But it is everyone's game and we are forced to play with a certain unit type. My motto: Manifiest destiny and manifold possibility! One more thing, pity a guy who wants to drive an E100

In the words of those dudes in the wine commercial...thanks for your support...

< Message edited by Ladmo -- 6/11/2007 1:53:56 AM >

(in reply to asiaticus)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Can you edit units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI