Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM Vets how about some help please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM Vets how about some help please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM Vets how about some help please - 8/25/2000 11:11:00 AM   
Pack Rat

I've only been able to play against the AI since I got SP1 way back when. Now I've my own hook up to the net and I'm ready to try PBEM. I did talk a neighbor into getting SP3 and we carried disks back and forth. Was fun till he stopped. With the up coming version 3 I'm ready to try playing again. My questions are. What is the best method for setting up a PBEM? Where do you find oppentants, I've seen links here but they don't have anything under SPWAW, just SP1,2,3 and sometimes WW2. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR
Post #: 1
- 8/25/2000 11:43:00 AM   
Drake666

Will it all depinds. If you are going to play someone that you know the best way is playing unsecured. If you are playing someone for the first time its best to use secure mode. For finding oppenants, you can just past something on this furom and you will more thin likely find more then one. As for what to play it depinds on what you like. Myself I play scenario by Email. I found them a lot more fun and historic then haveing each side buy their own force. The problem with buy your own is that you have people buy what works best in the game and unreal numbers of them. Like scouts and snipers are things the people will often buy large numbers of becouse they are cheap and effective in covering all the battle front.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 2
- 8/25/2000 12:34:00 PM   
Graf Speer

Gee, I really thought half the fun was in generating our own units - given parameters agreed upon ahead of time by both sides, and then setting them up in any fashion we please! I love the battle generator for gaming. And while I have never played against an opponent who would think to select "snipers en masse" (if memory serves, the original Steel Panthers would only permit 17 formations - and since each sniper constitutes a 'formation' there was no viabilitiy to such a plan , but speer is of the opinion, that thoughtful combined arms selection will always defeat a billion or two japanese snipers Albert

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 3
- 8/25/2000 1:53:00 PM   
Fredde

I'm not exactly a PBEM vet when it comes to Steel Panthers.. but i know where you can find them.. (on this forum of course but also..) www.theblitz.org http://home.wanadoo.nl/edwin.vos/ These are addresses to PBEM clubs, where you can find lots of interested opponents and some other nice stuff as well. They both support SPWAW. I recently joined both and got two games started. In addition i think Matrix games will set up their own opponent finding system soon? Of course, if you want an opponent you can just write me a mail as well :-)

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 4
- 8/26/2000 3:57:00 AM   
Tombstone

I think scenario and generated battle pbem games are two different things really. Scenario play is much more controlled, and about what the player can do with what he has.. whereas the generated battles are more about what you style is... Tomo

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 5
- 8/26/2000 5:47:00 AM   
Dave R

Another option is to do what my regular opponant and I do. Start a generate dbattle, but let the computer choose the actual units. It can get a bit 'samey' as I suspect that the computer works from a strict OB but it does stop us trying to choose game beating forces and have to accept what we get!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 6
- 8/26/2000 1:14:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Thanks all. How do you set up all the options? It was far simpiler before SPWAW and I suspect with version 3 there will be even more options. ( How about that for a rant, to many options ) Do you make out a wish list and send it to the opponent. Just deciding on options could take a while I would think. Any suggestions for a fast and easy way? ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 7
- 8/27/2000 2:22:00 AM   
steel

I take screenshot my preference options and send it my pbem opponents. Greetings from steel [This message has been edited by steel (edited August 26, 2000).]

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 8
- 8/27/2000 2:38:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Damn good idea !! Thanks ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 9
- 8/29/2000 12:30:00 AM   
BA Evans

What are PBEM Ladders? What are PBEM Tournaments? Thanks, BA Evans

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM Vets how about some help please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI