Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Progress Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Progress - 10/29/2009 5:36:38 PM   
freeboy

do we have a date you are realisticaly looking at for  release?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 361
RE: Progress - 10/30/2009 2:14:53 AM   
Llyranor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Well allowing free form coop play where any player could issue orders to any force would detract from the realism aspects and also nullify the value of segregating into different comamnds so that each could be managed in its own thread. I would prefer to have a system where a player has control of one or more commands and can only issue orders to forces within those commands. We could allow for the transfer of units between commands, albeit with some orders delay built in. This would allow for load sharing if all the action is occuring in one sector but also allow us to speed the game up by isolating commands and threading them separately.

Definitely agree. Co-op should really integrate elements of cooperation between players/commands. Furthermore (and this is potentially a critical point to consider re: investment/pay-off), this feature should be pretty important for military training should some militaries have a license of this engine.

However, from what I understand from the previous posts, this would be a substantial investment in terms of development. In that case, free-form co-op *would* be better than no co-op. I have no idea how much investment this would require, but since there is already the netcode available for 2p, and it wouldn't require the implementation of multiple commands/threads (since both players would just have 'full' control), would there be much extra coding required for implementing this? I think it'd be pretty neat, since players (fans of this series should be mature enough for it) could pretty much just arrange amongst themselves which units each should be commanding. Paradox games do something like this. You can co-op as multiple nations, but you can also co-op as a single nation and each player can control everything about it; they just delegate different areas amongst themselves. It'd be a pretty cool bone for co-op fans.

On a sidenote, HistWar (Napoleonic era) is doing this in a very interesting way. In addition to what seem to be order delays for commands and such, it goes a step further. Even communication between players takes time, and players have to send out couriers to carry out messages (including orders/intel and such). Even more cool is that the enemy can intercept them and thus obtain the message content (and the initial recipient never gets the message). Pretty awesome!

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 362
RE: Progress - 10/30/2009 3:46:30 AM   
Arjuna

Llyanor,

In our system a Player must belong to a Command and a command can only have one Player. To allow multiple Players to a Command would of itself be a big job.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 363
RE: Progress - 10/31/2009 5:56:20 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: bink

Arjuna,

Here is a list of the common 16:9 resolutions:

1366x768
1600x900
1920x1080

From the most recent publicly available research I have seen, these resolutions now comprise the majority of shipping desktop and notebook LCD panels.

Bink

And here is the new Startup Options screen with support for 16 x 9 wide screens.

Attachment (1)

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 364
RE: Progress - 10/31/2009 6:02:44 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Well we were aiming for just before Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure we'll make that. We have two outstanding issues with the game itself. First we have a grid lock issue with large force formations in road column. I've been overhauling this code all week. I hope to resolve this on Monday - fingers crossed. Paul is working his way to solving an out of sync bug in the UI. Apart from these we have only a few very minor issues with the game. If all goes well I'll be able to start work on the tutorial movies next week. But I said that last week. So I am reluctant to make any firm prediction right now. I'll be better placed once the out of sync and grid lock issues are solved.

< Message edited by Arjuna -- 10/31/2009 6:03:27 AM >

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 365
RE: Progress - 10/31/2009 7:25:17 AM   
BigDuke66

No problem, the important date is the 45th anniversary, as long as you make it to that I don't see a problem.
For my taste it would fit perfectly.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 366
RE: Progress - 10/31/2009 8:06:52 AM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Well we were aiming for just before Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure we'll make that. We have two outstanding issues with the game itself. First we have a grid lock issue with large force formations in road column. I've been overhauling this code all week. I hope to resolve this on Monday - fingers crossed. Paul is working his way to solving an out of sync bug in the UI. Apart from these we have only a few very minor issues with the game. If all goes well I'll be able to start work on the tutorial movies next week. But I said that last week. So I am reluctant to make any firm prediction right now. I'll be better placed once the out of sync and grid lock issues are solved.

Excuse my ignorance, but when is/was Thanksgiving?
Ron

< Message edited by BASB -- 10/31/2009 8:07:17 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 367
RE: Progress - 10/31/2009 9:20:34 AM   
Arjuna

Ron,

You need to get out a bit more, mate! Thanksgiving is held in the fourth week of November. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 368
RE: Progress - 10/31/2009 10:11:00 AM   
CriticalMass

And you missed Dwali 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawali

I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible
- Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 369
RE: Progress - 10/31/2009 11:01:28 PM   
goodwoodrw

Why, I know the dates of ANZAC, Remembrance Cup Day and the Sale Cup, what more does a country lad need to know other than spelling Harbour colour and centre correctly even if the my spell checker doesn't, and I know 9/11 is a date in November!

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 370
RE: Progress - 11/1/2009 12:07:37 AM   
Arjuna

Andrew,

I think it a stretch to expect a "country lad" like BASB to know when the festival of light is. But I must confess my own ignorance as to when the Sale Cup is.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 371
RE: Progress - 11/1/2009 1:11:36 AM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

No problem, the important date is the 45th anniversary, as long as you make it to that I don't see a problem.
For my taste it would fit perfectly.

BigDuke66, that would be December 16, 1989.

It better be out Dave, before I leave for the Ardennes on December 11 for the 65th anniversary.

simovitch

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 372
RE: Progress - 11/1/2009 2:18:32 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

Llyanor,

In our system a Player must belong to a Command and a command can only have one Player. To allow multiple Players to a Command would of itself be a big job.

For a co-op mode, would it really be a big job to assign let's say player 1 to command the map-boss (say XVII. Army) and allow player 2 to command a Kampfgruppe or even a Corps as a subordinated class, and then give the enemy map-boss to the AI?

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 373
RE: Progress - 11/1/2009 3:25:02 AM   
Arjuna

Yes it would. To add more than one command per side would require a lot of changes. Essentially, we need to replicate a lot of the code within the Side class and apply it to Command class. Everywhere we have checks to see if the force is human controlled or not we would need to revise to handle cases for a specific human player. Everywhere we apply processing to an entire side, we need to revise so it can handle just a portion of the side. etc

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 374
RE: Progress - 11/1/2009 3:48:11 AM   
goodwoodrw

last Sunday Dave, a nice country meet. About 10,000 locals dressed to the nines, including the teenagers, great to see young kids dressing up in suits and ties and the young fillies dressed to kill. In today's age nice to see the young ones looking good, it's rarity these days. good on country youth I say there hope yet!

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 375
RE: Progress - 11/13/2009 10:40:12 PM   
Arjuna

Hi all,

I have been wrestling with the formation movement code for over a fortnight now. The reason for doing so was that we were getting significant gridlocking, where none of the units in the formation move. I thought I had licked it yesterday evening, but awoke to observe an autotest game with a formation gridlock - ie no one moving. This is a very complex issue with so many factors bearing on the outcome. We have implemented sorted event sequencing - ie where the events of the units in the formation are sorted by order of march. This helped significantly. Since implementing this I have been overhauling and ripping out a lot of the old code that managed the formation movement. Obviously I have ripped out too much or not enough! Well hopefully it's just in need of another tweak.

The upshot of all this is that the release date is getting pushed back further. We're aiming for Dec 9. But that depends greatly on resolving this and a couple of other outstanding issues in record time.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 376
RE: Progress - 11/13/2009 11:41:37 PM   
Llyranor

Aim for Dec 16!

(I remember asking whether the game would possibly be released by Dec 16.... last year )

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 377
RE: Progress - 11/14/2009 1:01:45 AM   
Lieste

Hell, no!

Aim for the 9th... gives you a week to miss by and still hit the 16th target ;)

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 378
RE: Progress - 11/14/2009 3:55:50 AM   
planetbrain

Doesn't really matter exactly when release is. I shall get this game (simulation?) regardless of release date!
Does appear to be getting close, though.

'Mostly harmless'

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 379
RE: Progress - 11/14/2009 6:14:01 AM   
Arjuna

Matrix can't do the 16th due to all the scheduling constraints around Xmas. If we don't make the 9th it will slip to the new year.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to planetbrain)
Post #: 380
RE: Progress - 11/14/2009 12:39:34 PM   
vj531

quote:

Matrix can't do the 16th due to all the scheduling constraints around Xmas. If we don't make the 9th it will slip to the new year.

A shame but, rushing will only bite you on the backside later. Get it right and then get it out.

I go back to days of Fire Brigade so keep up the good work.

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 381
RE: Progress - 11/14/2009 4:07:56 PM   
freeboy

It would be nice to see perhaps a demo to wet our voracious apitite, BUT please do not delay the release for something this trivial... Looks like this may b a spring 10 game, no worries.. thanks for keeping us informed

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 382
RE: Progress - 11/14/2009 5:18:03 PM   
Greup

I agree. Most people in here are sold anyway so skip the demo until later if that's a delaying factor, otherwise we might drown by drooling from anticipation. Besides my old Fire Brigade won't help me much because there isn't a computer old enough that can run it.

Now... back to COTA!

(BTW, Thanks for the progress report )

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 383
RE: Progress - 11/14/2009 8:21:11 PM   
slybelle

I agree too...everyone is already sold based on past track record, no need for demo out of the gate.

Heck, I would even pay for this game now in current state and help test out the final things....worst scenerio is everything would be fixed in the first patch:)

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 384
RE: Progress - 11/15/2009 6:29:28 PM   
Zenra

quote:

ORIGINAL: slybelle

I agree too...everyone is already sold based on past track record, no need for demo out of the gate.

Heck, I would even pay for this game now in current state and help test out the final things....worst scenerio is everything would be fixed in the first patch:)

+1

Mitchell

(in reply to slybelle)
Post #: 385
RE: Progress - 11/15/2009 9:06:17 PM   
freeboy

yep me 2

(in reply to Zenra)
Post #: 386
RE: Progress - 11/16/2009 12:46:38 AM   
slybelle

Too bad it won't be a realistic option though:)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 387
RE: Progress - 11/16/2009 1:08:50 AM   
freeboy

we can hope
I actually thought this was an 08 release, and having been off the forums for a couple of years was surprised to c it not out! but very very glad it did not get SC

(in reply to slybelle)
Post #: 388
RE: Progress - 11/16/2009 1:16:19 AM   
Arjuna

Our plan is still to put out a demo. Paul has done the preliminary work for generating the demo. We're just waiting on the game engine to be stabilised before we test that.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 389
RE: Progress - 11/16/2009 5:34:07 PM   
GShock

I think the demo is a good idea. I can play it while the game is downloading from the matrix 

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Progress Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI