Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

To what level do you tend to give orders?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> To what level do you tend to give orders? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/3/2007 10:13:43 AM   
Pergite!

Hi!

Just a basic survey on what level of command you usually give orders to in COTA. I have found that I rarely go above battalion unless there are alot of time available and that the initative is allready won. The only companies I give orders to is those that are sorted directly under Regimental or higher commands as solitaire units. I dont trust the generals to where I want to setup my big guns.
I have once ot twice been tricked into micromanage my forces during multiplayer action, ending up with horrible order delays (painfully realistic). That thought me to not worry about exact locations of for example supporting units during assaults.

So how do you tend to divide and command your forces?

And how does the AI opponent divide his forces?
Post #: 1
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/3/2007 3:37:02 PM   
Javakamp

I almost always issue orders to my battalions. The smaller units tend to get attached to other battalions except for artillery. I usually direct them myself.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 2
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/3/2007 3:53:14 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javakamp
I almost always issue orders to my battalions. The smaller units tend to get attached to other battalions except for artillery. I usually direct them myself.

Ditto - with the addition that I may micro-manage the setup of an AT unit in defence or such. Or a single fast mobile unit for reccon.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 3
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/3/2007 6:27:06 PM   
06 Maestro

I will frequently give orders to a regiment due to the size of a scenario.  Although controlling the Bn’s directly is preferable, sometimes there are too many for the “on map boss”. 
Even if I am using a regiment HQ as a primary controller, I will still have one or more units under the ‘OMB’ for a particular operation.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 4
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/3/2007 7:06:30 PM   
RedDevil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javakamp

I almost always issue orders to my battalions. The smaller units tend to get attached to other battalions except for artillery. I usually direct them myself.

Same here with the following exceptions:
Arty: I take care of positioning it. I then leave the AI to manage almost all of it, but I sometimes take direct control to make sure they rest (same goes for mortars).

AT: normally position them when on the defensive. In attack I sometimes detach the mot ones from an otherwise on foot group to have more flexibility on the routes

The other exception I make is to strip off a Bn the stragglers when I need to achieve maximum speed (IIRC this is a feature of BftB).

Cheers,

RedDevil

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 5
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/3/2007 11:03:03 PM   
MarkShot

I give orders both to single units and entire regiments or brigades in the same scenarios fairly regularly. Very high level orders are good for large scale attack, map exits, or major movements. Very low level orders are good for maximizing critical resources and using terrain features as force multiplier, setting up fire bases, and recon.

However, I won't say anymore than this, since of the people responding my playing style is probably better documented than most.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to RedDevil)
Post #: 6
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/4/2007 2:58:51 AM   
Fred98

I give orders at battalion level.  Where there are independant units I attach them to a battallion.

As for artillery, I often attach it at battallion level and/or give artillery independant orders.

-

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 7
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/4/2007 4:05:25 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi all,

Artillery -- always position myself, and then turn 25 to 50 per cent (depending on scenario size) over to the AI. Same with mortars.

Recon unit(s) -- always under my control. Same with the occasional company sized "remnant" hunter for those near shattered enemies that always seem to infest my rear areas & screw up my supply lines.

The Rest -- bigger scenarios usually at the brigade/reg't level occasionally intervening at the battalion level where necessary. Smaller scenarios usually at the battalion level intervening at the company level where necessary. Will sometimes position and run anti-tank units manually regardless of scenario size for critical positions for as long as the threat is active.

At the beginning of each game I sometimes max out the on map boss'es capacity in creating combines arms units but as soon as that's done I return to the above policies.

Rob.

< Message edited by Deathtreader -- 4/4/2007 4:06:55 AM >

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 8
RE: To what level do you tend to give orders? - 4/4/2007 8:23:01 AM   
JeF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pergite!
So how do you tend to divide and command your forces?

I mostly command at Bn level.
I detach most, if not all, Regimental and Divisonal Arty that I direct myself : I put some On call while resting the others to manage fatigue and ammo, with the occasional bombard on hot spots.
For larger scale attacks and manoeuvers, depending on the size of the scenario, I order full Regiments/Brigades. There is the occasional micromanagement of recce and defense as well.
I usually tend to control roughly between 30 to 40 units.

I don't do a lot of cross attachment. Eventually I can order two Bn at once for a larger scale attack, or attach some engineers to a Bn for securing a bridge, or tie a Inf. coy together with some AT battery for forming road blocks. For the rest I stick to the original OOB. Mostly by laziness.

My 2 cents,

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> To what level do you tend to give orders? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI