FIRE IN THE EAST

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
loveman2

FIRE IN THE EAST

Post by loveman2 »

On a similar front try looking at TOAW 3 FITE scenario its huge and i mean huge and has some good gameplay[X(]
delatbabel

RE: FIRE IN THE EAST

Post by delatbabel »

How does it compare in terms of detail to WIR?
--
Del
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The TOAW3 scenario 'SOVIET UNION 1941' is closer to the scale of WIR, as it is set at Korps/Army level and 50km hexes. There is more flexbility available to break up units into 2 or 3 components, but only a few independent Divisions are individually named. The Rail Repair units are restricted to only one per Army Group for the Germans, which makes the rail repair process very slow. More units can be added though the game editor, but I have not yet experimented to find an historical balance. It's a different game technique, but very playable and you have all the TOAW3 advantages of different map styles and full editing of everthing in each scenario, if you don't like what you see. I would not give up WIR, but TOAW3 is well worth a try. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
loveman2

Post by loveman2 »

FITE has over 1000 german units and since purchasing the TOAW 3 game last year I have yet to finish my first game of it, have a look in the Toaw forums under fite and you will soon get a feel for it.[8|]
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

The TOAW3 scenario 'SOVIET UNION 1941' is closer to the scale of WIR, ... I would not give up WIR, but TOAW3 is well worth a try. [:)]

Ditto, although I've been very absent from the WiR scene
The TOAW Redux Dude
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Currently playing 2 FitE games, both as Soviets.

It's a very good game, but there are obvious shortcomings from TOAW's design as a operational level wargame - eg there's no industrial/production system, the Soviets have to "produce" captured weaponry to equip partisan units, replacement rate changes to reflect historic production effects are fairly crude, sea zones are simply not historical (the Sov's could never have evacuated Odessa or Sevastopol if they had played FitE!! [:D])

But it is a good game - it has driven all befoer it from my allocated gaming time for a month or 2 now [:)]

I understand that teh 1941-only senario DNO might do a few things better than FitE does, but I haven' seen it.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”