Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Default start positions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Default start positions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:05:46 AM   
SMK-at-work

ejs & I have just received the latest beta, and as promised we're going to do a couple of AAR's - each of us as the Central Powers so you don't get the full picture - we have to leave some suspense!!

However to set the scene here are screenshots of the default 1914 setups as delivered by the opening scenario - both players are free to alter these as they wish.

Firstly the Western front - note that I've had to crop the game buttons and part of the summary map to get the size down for this board:

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:07:25 AM   
SMK-at-work

Next the Galacian Front:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 2
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:08:40 AM   
SMK-at-work

The Prussian Front - nothing much to see here......

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:13:12 AM   
SMK-at-work

The Balkans - I had to trim this one a wee bit more ....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:14:07 AM   
SMK-at-work

Caucassus - Turkey is neutral for the 1st turn, so there's no detail to see....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:15:48 AM   
SMK-at-work

Mesopotamia & Palestine

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:19:27 AM   
SMK-at-work

oops - double post......

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 3/7/2007 10:34:28 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:19:34 AM   
SMK-at-work

And Italy......

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 10:21:03 AM   
SMK-at-work

Finally an overview of the whole map that I shall probably use to illustrate most moves.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 4:46:28 PM   
sol_invictus

Great to see so many screenshots. I am very glad that the Middle East has been added, it will make the Turkish front so much more interesting. Are Arab Irregulars available as units or is that abstracted? The Turks will have some difficult decisions to make once they join the fray. Austia will also, along with Germany, have some weighty decisions to make on turn one. Is there some limit to the amount of force that Germany can amass against Russia if Germany decides to go all out in the East initially? Can't wait to see things unfold.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Post #: 10
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 4:59:32 PM   
Sytass

Intriguing screenies. :)

Quick question - what format are the map/army icons in?

Or, more to the point, how moddable are the graphics? :)

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 11
RE: Default start positions - 3/7/2007 9:56:34 PM   
SMK-at-work

I have no idea how moddable anything is or what format they're in - I jsut play the game!!

Sadly there's a new bug in the latest release - the TE can see the CP setup, which makes trying a sneaky attack anywhere on T1 impossible!!

AFAIK the Arab irregulars do not appear - although we've not had any games recently go late enough - they could be easily added as a cavalry corps tho.

There are no limits on German deployment - only what you think you can get away with having against the French!

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 3/7/2007 10:12:07 PM >

(in reply to Sytass)
Post #: 12
RE: Default start positions - 3/8/2007 4:32:28 PM   
Syagrius

Great sceenshots.  Can we expect the game out before summer?

Post #: 13
RE: Default start positions - 3/9/2007 12:23:14 AM   
SMK-at-work

I've no idea sorry.

However the bug reported above is simply Frank forgetting to turn off a debugging tool whereby he can see the AI moves as they are made, so a corrected version will be uploaded shortly and we'll be on our way.....

(in reply to Syagrius)
Post #: 14
RE: Default start positions - 3/9/2007 4:34:21 AM   
randell765

SMK,
This will be a lot of questions, please answer any/all if you can,

1)From the scenarios you have played, or scenario you have played, do the combact mechanics seem pretty solid?
2)I believe I read in another post that the later the years go on the less quality of troops you get, is there anything the player can do to prevent or slow this down?  Put more money or resources into training?
3)In the scenario you played, do there seem to be enough turns/movements /phases?
4)How effective is aircraft?
5)Are there different victory conditions?
6)If you take over someone elses city this takes away resources?manpower?morale? Or all 3?

That is all for now, the graphics look good enough,if the AI is coming along as good as everyone says, this looks like a really fun game.  Thanks for any responses as well.

jason

Post #: 15
RE: Default start positions - 3/9/2007 7:12:03 AM   
sol_invictus

What do the Circles with Numbers denote on the HQ Units? Defense value?

What do the Numbers by the City names denote?

I assume that the Number in a Circle on the Corp Units is the Defensive value and the Number in the Square is the Offensive value?

Do Army HQs Leaders have a rating and if so, how does this affect the units under their command? Can we re-assign Corps between Armies?

How much better is an A rated Corp over a B and C rated Corp? The Offense/Defense values seem the same. What differentiates them?

What types of units are there other than Infantry, Cavalry, HQ, and Naval?

I assume that Tanks, Gas, and Aircraft are simply abstracted into your Corps by increasing their values, once those technologies are researched? How is this implemented? Thanks.

< Message edited by Arinvald -- 3/9/2007 7:36:17 AM >

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 16
RE: Default start positions - 3/9/2007 11:54:38 AM   
7th Somersets

Randell765,

1) The combat system is solid in my opinion.
2) The quality of troops declines as the game proceeds. There is nothing (that I am aware of) that can stop this - I think that it reflects the increasing age/the increasing use of less than fit manpower by all combatant nations to replace casualties. Of course the answer is not to waste your good troops(!).
3) In my opinion the balance of turns/phases is good.
4) Aircraft are used in their primary historical roles - information gathering and helping the artillery. Their direct ground attack role is not specifically featured, but I suppose that in any offensive the assistance that they give to your artillery reflects their help in that department too.
5) No. You just have the job of winning the war.
6) Resources and manpower are dealt with separately. Resources (not shown in any of the screens above) are able to be shown on the map with a toggle button - they refelct industial capacity/food. Manpower I believe is reflected in the cities. Capturing cities does reduce enemy morale.

Arinvald

The numbers on the HQs reflect their offensive capability - ie the number of offensives that that HQ can mount. In the strategic phase you have to buy points to assign to HQs. It is expensive as you would expect.

The circle number reflects the strength of the unit. The square number its level of organization.

Regarding different classes of troops - I have not done a statistical analysis of the differences - but in gameplay terms there is a noticable difference between the different types of units.

You also have artillery units, siege guns and tanks.

Gas development is done in the strategic phase. A side gaining the necessary development in gas is then able to use it (for a limited number of times) by allocating gas to specific artillery units. This (in my opinion) accurately reflects the fact that gas was most effective when new varieties were deployed and before counter measures were developed.

Regarding development of different types of technologies - this is done in the strategic phase. As overall commander you have to balance conflicting needs - keeping your army up to strength, and getting new troops - keeping your navies functioning - developing new weapons - maintaining offensive capabilities etc.

Regarding air warfare - this is done by both developing your aircraft technology, and by buying air units (which are not shown on the game) that you assign between the various fronts. Air warfare is calculated in the strategic phase - including casualties etc. Then depending on the time of year you get a number of reconnaisance points on the fronts where you have air units operating. These can be used for you to see what enemy units are present and to improve the casualties your artillery inflict when attacking.

Regards.

Post #: 17
RE: Default start positions - 3/9/2007 3:15:40 PM   
randell765

Wow, thanks for all the info, can't wait until this game is released.

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 18
RE: Default start positions - 3/9/2007 5:25:36 PM   
sol_invictus

Yes, thank you for such a detailed explanation.

What about re-organization? Can we re-assign Corps between our differing Army HQs?

Is there a limit to the number of Corps an Army HQ can command?

Can other nation's Corps be added to their ally's Army HQs? Austrian Seige Mortars to the German 1st Army for example.

What do the numbers by the Cities mean? Manpower lost if City is lost or Victory Points?

< Message edited by Arinvald -- 3/9/2007 5:47:00 PM >

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 19
RE: Default start positions - 3/10/2007 12:30:55 AM   
7th Somersets

Corps are not assigned (in game terms) to particular Army HQs. The army HQs allow offensive actions by the units on/adjacent to them. This means that when you activate an HQ for offensive actions that they are able to launch historically (eg Somme/Passchendaele) sized offensives in their area.

The HQs will command ALL troops in their area - regardless of nationality. Again this accurately represents historical events (in my opinion) such as the start of the Somme offensive that involved both French/British units at the start.

I am not certain re city numbers - I will have to have a closer look at the rules. The game effect seems to be on manpower and also morale of a nation.

I have enjoyed testing it so far, and have not joined any PBEM games yet - which I expect will be the real making of the game.

Regards.

Post #: 20
RE: Default start positions - 3/10/2007 12:39:32 AM   
SMK-at-work

I agree with everything 7th said :)

Air warfare is really kind of cool, and yes it is very important - having effective reccee greatly increases the power of your artillery.

I haven't used gas much - I've ben on hte receiving end a few times & I'm not really sure what effect it has!! I did use tanks a couple of times a few builds back, vs the AI, but again I'm not really sure what they did.

City numbers are some measure of importance - not sure exactly what hte mechanics are but if you take a high number city it has a larger effect on morale than if you take a low numbered one.

The number of corps that can be "activated" by spending a HQ point depends on how many corps there are adjacent and stacked with it - there are stacking limits for all hexes - I think open terrain has the highest at 14 points, and 10 points for mountains is the lowest from memory. Infantry corps are worth 3, HQ's 1, artillery 1 or 2, ditto cavalry.

We've got a new build to play with so let the games begin!!

Oh yes - the letters on units refer to their quality - but are not the same for each nationality. So all nationalities get "A", B and C class units, but they have to be really digging into their reserves to get D and E class ones - I've seen them for Serbs and Turks.

However units with hte same letter are not necessarily the same quality - eg Turkish and Austrian "A" class units are almost certainly worse quality than German ones......but we don't really know just how much difference there is!

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 3/10/2007 1:31:36 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: Default start positions - 3/10/2007 12:53:16 AM   
sol_invictus

Thanks for all of the great info 7th and SMK. Really looking forward to the AAR.

Post #: 22
RE: Default start positions - 3/10/2007 4:22:03 AM   
randell765

7th sommersets

I am a bit confused when you say you can perform offensive actions in an hq area.  That means that you have to have at least 1 hq so many hexes away from your armies?  Or is supply stretched?

whoops, forgot to add, is there any way to speed up Italy getting into the war quicker?

< Message edited by randell765 -- 3/10/2007 4:40:22 AM >

Post #: 23
RE: Default start positions - 3/10/2007 7:57:11 PM   
sol_invictus

I'm also still curious about British intervention. If Germany decides to go East to knock Russia out as soon as possible and stays on the defense in the West, what are the odds that Britain will stay neutral until mid-late 1915? This seems to be the big strategic question that will set the pace for the entire war. Does Germany have the capability to launch an amphibious landing against Russia on the Baltic coast?

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 24
RE: Default start positions - 3/10/2007 11:21:15 PM   
7th Somersets

randell765

The HQ, when activated, allows units in the same hexagon as the HQ and the ones next to the HQ hexagon to launch offensives.

As part of the strategic phase you can also put resources into diplomacy. These are used to influence other countries. This affects not only Italy - but most countries. At the beginning of the game (as SMK showed above) Turkey is not in the war - although very pro-German. Belgium is neutral. etc etc. There is a lot of scope to affect other countries and alter the course of the war.

Arinvald

Britain is at war at the start of the game, but German actions do affect what they can do. As to your strategic suggestions - try them out and see what happens! I certainly don't have all the answers...

Regards.

Post #: 25
RE: Default start positions - 3/10/2007 11:45:58 PM   
randell765

Arinvald
quote:

The HQ, when activated, allows units in the same hexagon as the HQ and the ones next to the HQ hexagon to launch offensives.

ok, when the HQ is present, adjacent armies can attck.  But how do armies go onto the offense, eg.start heading towards Russia?  Do you bring the HQ with you?  Do you build more?  Or is there some type of supply line? I actually find it a bit odd that you have to have an HQ by you to launch an offensive. 

Now, I could see that having an HQ present increases morale, fatigue,supply, etc,etc,etc.  But to need an HQ present to launch attacks seem a bit unrealistic. 

Post #: 26
RE: Default start positions - 3/11/2007 12:01:23 AM   
sol_invictus

7th Somersets, thanks, last I heard many months ago, Britain was neutral at start. That could be very troubling for any German plans to go all out in the East in 1914. Care to elaborate on how a German defensive stance in the West would affect British actions? Partial mobilization and no blockade perhaps?

< Message edited by Arinvald -- 3/11/2007 12:16:44 AM >

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 27
RE: Default start positions - 3/11/2007 12:36:27 AM   
SMK-at-work

HQ's represent the accumulated supplies required to launch an offensive - on their own they are nothing - it is only when you spend resources to give them supply points (activation points) that they become useful.  The resource cost to launch an ofensive is very high and they have to be planned for well in advance - plus you'd better hanve plenty of artillery and manpower replacement resources!!

IMO it is very realistic - although perhaps a bit generous - 1 activation point can activarte 1 corps or 10 with no difference.

AFAIK german stance in the West has no effect on the brits - they're in because they're in.  We'll see shortly tho, 'cos I'm doing an east front assault in my game as the CP!

The Blockade of Germany is represented explicitly - germany has some transports, and can set them to "shipping" - they have a requirement for 2 transports in the Baltic and 2 in the North Sea.  If the TE can destroy those transports then it reduces Germany's resource pool.

Post #: 28
RE: Default start positions - 3/11/2007 1:10:09 AM   
sol_invictus

Thanks for the info. Good luck in your Eastern venture. I have always been fascinated with the possibilities of a Russia first strategy, though the fact that Britain starts the game already at war definately makes this gambit less appealing. Personally, I think if Germany doesn't violate Belgium neutrality, there should be a chance of delayed British intervention; at least for 3-6 months. What would be the major penalty for the TE if they violate Belgium neutrality?

< Message edited by Arinvald -- 3/11/2007 3:13:05 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: Default start positions - 3/12/2007 12:39:10 AM   
SMK-at-work

Violating Belgian neutrality upsets teh Americans, the Dutch and a couple of other neutrals, so it would set back US intervention later in teh war - if it lasts that long.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Default start positions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI