Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Online Wargame Chat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Online Wargame Chat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Online Wargame Chat - 3/3/2007 9:21:28 AM   
DeadInThrench

I have looked but so far I have not been able to find.... any place where there is regular wargame chat.

I tried the chat room here on Matrix but there is never anyone in there... and, the client that I DLed ended up giving me a severe trojan (not from here on Matrix but another place that uses the same client) that was extremely difficult to get rid of.

I tried Battle HQ... which tries to deliver this function but.... there are not too many people using it and it is a bit primitive and... it messes up my system mouse cursor.

I did searches for wargame chat rooms out on the WWW and did not find anything.

I tried IRC (Internet Relay Chat) which was supposed to be for chat what the WWW is for bulletins and forums.... and actually found one place that had one person in it... but of course you can't have much discussion with just one person.

IMO... as far as actually PLAYING wargames.... most right now are PBEM and the problem there.... because they take so long to complete typically... not much repetitive play can be had... and you don't really know the person you are getting into playing against before you start the game (unless you have played against that person previously).. and IMO are not as enjoyable as they might be otherwise (and there are cheaters out there if you know what I mean).

On the other hand... if there were online wargame chat rooms..... you could keep this up with other stuff you got going and tune in or not as you have time.... and get into discussions with others there and... thus get to KNOW people before you get into any games... and if you get into a discussion with someone about some game.... then the two of you might just get into a game PBEM or... real time which IMO would bring a lot more wargame playing enjoyment a lot faster.

So... is there anything out there that fits the bill here?

If not... well... anyone up for an instantaneously formed online wargame club??

If there isn't anything out there fitting the bill here... real easy to make one happen on IRC. All's you need is an IRC client (they can be had for free) and decide on a channel name and a net (QUAKENET or whatever) and... voila!

IMO.. should be MORE that enough wargamers around these days to make something like this viable.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

DiT (DeadInTrench)

< Message edited by DeadInThrench -- 3/3/2007 4:09:23 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Online Wargame Chat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message