Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you model UAV's?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> How do you model UAV's? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you model UAV's? - 12/17/2006 12:48:28 PM   
iarodus

Along with not updating the equipment database, there doesn't seem to be any game system updates to cover UAV's. With UAV's playing an integral role in future combat (especially after the US Army finishes developing and equipping each division/brigade/battalion with 4-12 combat UAV's each), it has to be modeled somehow. I do it by giving generic AAH for division UCAV, MAH for brigade, LAH for battalion, and some OH for a second division recon squadron. It in effect creates a second aviation brigade for Americans, with other armies get various mixes. The main problem I have with my method is that a standard modern US division (at brigade level) goes from 10 units (HQ/Supply/Bde x 4/MLRS/AH/UH/OH) to 12. Then any unit divisions would push it over the 12 manageable unit limit. It also causes issues since those helicopters would push the US loss limit up and they would be susceptible to air interception, sort of the opposite effect UAV's should have. Has any one else come up with a better bastardized way of handling UAV's?
Post #: 1
RE: How do you model UAV's? - 12/19/2006 1:21:16 AM   
TOCarroll

What is a UAV?   Un-armoured vehicle, as we freguently see in Iraq? Or something a bit more combat worthy than a stock Hummer? Id use a , but I really don't know what a UAV is, so I'll go with .

"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).

(in reply to iarodus)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you model UAV's? - 12/19/2006 1:29:03 AM   
BillLottJr

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOCarroll

What is a UAV? Un-armoured vehicle, as we freguently see in Iraq? Or something a bit more combat worthy than a stock Hummer? Id use a , but I really don't know what a UAV is, so I'll go with .

He means unmanned aerial vehicles, like predators.

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you model UAV's? - 12/19/2006 11:50:59 AM   
Telumar

Something like this below. How to model these is a tricky thing, i don't know - they shouldn't suffer from enemy air superiority, but with the toaw engine, everything that flies does...

The best approach currently possible would be to give a force using increased theatre recon, but a better modelling of tactical battlefield recon would be to add UAVs to individual units, battalions or regiments, depending on scenario scale, to increase these units' recon values. However, this would only be possible when an equipment editor is available. An UAV then could be modelled as a land based, non armed, passive defender equipment with recon ability.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BillLottJr)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you model UAV's? - 12/20/2006 2:31:15 AM   
TOCarroll

Mochos Gratias, I get sticky with acronyms at times. Merry Christmas

"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> How do you model UAV's? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI