Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DEMO?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> DEMO? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DEMO? - 12/1/2006 3:30:52 PM   
randell765

At this point is there any type of demo planned?
Post #: 1
RE: DEMO? - 12/1/2006 6:08:43 PM   
Gil R.

No, but there is a flash tutorial.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 2
RE: DEMO? - 12/2/2006 2:07:06 AM   
Canuck_jp

Where can we get this flash tutorial?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: DEMO? - 12/2/2006 2:08:35 AM   
Gil R.

It comes with the game. I haven't installed the release version myself, but someone said it can be accessed through the Start menu (the computer's that is), plus if you begin to load the game it will be there on that first menu (the one from which you click on "Play").

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 4
RE: DEMO? - 12/2/2006 2:10:15 AM   
Terminus

It's on the Start menu, yeah... Can't speak for the game menu, I usually just start it by the quick start icon.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: DEMO? - 12/2/2006 2:14:09 AM   
histgamer

I would recomend putting together that tutiorial as a demo, games without demos tend to lose out on people who dont want to "risk" 50 bucks without having a first hand experance with the game.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: DEMO? - 12/2/2006 10:16:55 AM   
Tactics

I'll wait. The iron clad beta testers thing cooled my jets.  Demo or realism mod....

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 7
RE: DEMO? - 12/2/2006 2:08:14 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tactics

... iron clad ... realism mod ....

You can do this easily yourself:

Quote from Gil:
quote:

Go to ACWStart.txt in the data folder and open it up (preferably in Excel). Then scroll down to about the 284th line, which has the label "ironclads" and delete the SECOND row, the one with a 2 in the second column. Throughout the game, USA is country 1, CSA is country 2. If you just expunge that row completely, those ironclads should disappear.

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 12/2/2006 2:12:40 PM >

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 8
RE: DEMO? - 12/2/2006 9:54:14 PM   
ericbabe

We may make the tutorial available for general download.  I was hoping to get feedback on the tutorial first to find out whether people found it useful before we put it up on our website for public download; if people find parts of the tutorial confusing, I'd like to fix those parts before making this generally available.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 9
RE: DEMO? - 12/3/2006 1:26:41 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

We may make the tutorial available for general download.  I was hoping to get feedback on the tutorial first to find out whether people found it useful before we put it up on our website for public download; if people find parts of the tutorial confusing, I'd like to fix those parts before making this generally available.

It's useful enough, but I don't think it would make much of a 'demo'. You don't really get much idea of how the game actually plays, and being limited to the functions of the 'basic' game there's an awful lot not there, not least the tactical combat.

You would be better off rustling up a vid of some sort if you can't do a demo proper.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: DEMO? - 12/3/2006 2:48:06 AM   
Canuck_jp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

It comes with the game. I haven't installed the release version myself, but someone said it can be accessed through the Start menu (the computer's that is), plus if you begin to load the game it will be there on that first menu (the one from which you click on "Play").

If you have to buy the game in order to see the flash tutorial then that doesn't work really well as any kind of demo.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: DEMO? - 12/3/2006 6:54:39 AM   
Joram

Glad I wasn't the only one who saw the irony in that. :)

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 12
RE: DEMO? - 12/3/2006 6:56:08 AM   
histgamer

Could the CSA still make ironclads? they just wouldnt start with them?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 13
RE: DEMO? - 12/4/2006 4:04:54 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Could the CSA still make ironclads? they just wouldnt start with them?

Yes, removing that line from the data file only eliminates the starter ironclad.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 12/4/2006 4:07:54 AM >

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 14
RE: DEMO? - 12/6/2006 2:11:52 AM   
Punisher

I would love to see the Tutorial or a Video of a actual turn. Anything to see if I should buy it not.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 15
RE: DEMO? - 12/6/2006 2:41:27 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punisher

I would love to see the Tutorial or a Video of a actual turn. Anything to see if I should buy it not.

Read the Gil R/jchastain AAR; you will see a lot of screenshots and even better the strategic and tactical agonizing of a couple of experienced testers. Then just go buy it and here's why:

Right out of the box (well, after deleting the CSA ironclads) the game is great, but I admit that first impressions can be misleading.

So in order to work through those first impressions, I need to play at least one game as the USA and one game as the CSA. However, the Basic and Advanced games are so different that I will need to play one game of each with each side. However Eric tells us that the Intermediate game is a completely different game in itself, so there go two more runs. And all of that was with Quick Combat so I could get a feel for the Strategic game relatively quickly, so I then need to play at least two more (or maybe four more or even six more games) using Detailed Combat, which is a game in itself.

So it will take me about 500 hours to decide if I my first impression is correct or not. My cost will work out to be about $0.10/hour of enjoyment even if I decide later that I DON'T like the game; it costs more than that just to power the computer.

Clearly I will get my money's worth and more even if I never play a single PBEM which is a different game again.

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 16
RE: DEMO? - 12/6/2006 2:46:38 AM   
Gil R.

Another benefit is that if you obsess enough about an ongoing game you might dream about it, and if you're like me, that means that you won't instead be dreaming of big, scary monsters hiding under the bed.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 17
RE: DEMO? - 12/6/2006 3:53:02 AM   
ericbabe

Any other thoughts about the tutorial, whether it'd be worth posting for public consumption on our website?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: DEMO? - 12/6/2006 4:16:11 AM   
JaguarUSF

Rather than the tutorial, which probably wouldn't be very interesting to people who don't have the game, I think a cleaned-up version of the ongoing AAR would be a nice touch. You get a good feel of the components of the game through their commentary. Perhaps adapting the goings-on with comments from the two players with screenshots on a separate web page linked from the Matrix and/or WCS sites would garner some interest (or maybe a downloadable PDF file, or even flash movie if you are feeling spicy).

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 19
RE: DEMO? - 12/6/2006 5:57:07 AM   
Drex

I read the AARs by Hard Sarge and that was good enough to convince me to go for it. I just want a boxed version.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to JaguarUSF)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> DEMO? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI