Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Ashes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Ashes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 2:43:58 AM   
Raverdave

REAL FOOTBALL..............??????????????????????????   Scumbag what do you think RUGBY is ????????????

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 31
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 4:49:49 AM   
Goblin

I dunno? How many pitchers bowl in that one?

Goblin

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 32
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 8:14:37 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Heretics !   Talk not of what you do not know, cast no stones against the best game to ever be played !

It's the same one! There's really only ever been one cricket match played, and it's still going on!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 33
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 8:26:54 AM   
Goblin

Why is it named after a bug?

Goblin

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 34
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 9:22:14 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Why is it named after a bug?

Goblin

Aren't those totally white uniforms really sweet?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 35
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 10:30:59 AM   
Raverdave

The White uniforms are only for test matches..............one day (limited overs) can and do have a wide range of colours.....I'll hunt up some pics.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 36
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 10:39:14 AM   
Raverdave

The Aussie team (of course ).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 37
RE: The Ashes - 11/30/2006 11:12:49 AM   
Charles2222

Hmm, very sweet yellow and ummm green; not much better. Look like the Oakland Athletics, whose uniform smells too. So why different unis for "tests". Do people get really rugged during tests so they don't want to damage the uni proper?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 38
RE: The Ashes - 12/5/2006 3:59:09 PM   
Rainerle

quote:

He has the chance of being the worlds BEST batsman ever !

Really ?

You think he can challenge Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar ???
btw: Aussies won the 2nd test as well.

< Message edited by Rainerle -- 12/5/2006 4:07:21 PM >

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 39
RE: The Ashes - 12/6/2006 2:19:06 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

quote:

He has the chance of being the worlds BEST batsman ever !

Really ?

You think he can challenge Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar ???
btw: Aussies won the 2nd test as well.

I think Don Bradman might have something to say about all this. The guy was a robot.

And what a second test! Bad luck England. They totally outplayed Australia for the first 2 days but you can't afford to take your foot off the Aussie team's throat. They make a habit of these "greatest comeback since Lazarus" wins. They're the best team in the world not because they always outplay everybody, but rather because it's so difficult to get the coffin lid nailed down on them.

It will be extremely difficult for England to retain the Ashes now, but we'll see. Roll on Perth!

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 12/20/2006 6:50:01 AM >

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 40
RE: The Ashes - 12/6/2006 2:26:47 AM   
Raverdave

MMmmmmm....they were saying on the radio that the Perth wicket is fast ............lots of runs coming.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 41
RE: The Ashes - 12/6/2006 2:50:21 AM   
Neilster

quote:

MMmmmmm....they were saying on the radio that the Perth wicket is fast ............lots of runs coming.

Let's hope it has a bit more life in it for the bowlers than has been the case so far this season. It's been a road. What ever happened to the WACA pitches of old? Opposition batsman having their fingers, arms and ribs broken by rearing deliveries and their fast bowlers, too excited by the extra bounce, running in and bowling a bunch of short rubbish that gets dispatched to the boundary. Good days....

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 42
RE: The Ashes - 12/6/2006 2:19:42 PM   
Andy_PZ

we are rubbish

You can't say that civilization doesn't advance...for in every War they kill you in a new way.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 43
RE: The Ashes - 12/7/2006 7:16:34 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy_PZ

we are rubbish

I disagree. You're missing Simon Jones who may have been very valuable. The first 2 days of the last test show that things can turn around very quickly. Harmison is looking a different bowler for the miles he's put into his legs in the last fortnight, Anderson is starting to get reverse-swing, Hoggard has been excellent and Flintoff is always dangerous. England's batting is quite solid and you have X-factor players in Pietersen and Flintoff.

As for Australia, I would drop Hayden for Jacques. The former hasn't done much for quite a while and the latter has been murdering attacks for 3 seasons. Damien Martyn has had 2 poor games but has had good one-day form of late, did very well in the previous series (although they were many months ago) and is the sort of class act that comes good when the pressure is on. One could, however, drop him and include Shane Watson if fit. That would add another fast bowler for Perth without weakening the batting much. The selectors may be wary of breaking up a winning combination though.

Cheers, Neilster

This was vital. Warne bowling Pietersen around his legs for 2.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Andy_PZ)
Post #: 44
RE: The Ashes - 12/19/2006 9:05:54 AM   
Neilster

Ahh...well. It's all over already. The Ashes are back in Australia's hands. Bad luck England. They played some good cricket but the Aussies have been too ruthless. Losing The Ashes in 2005 after holding them for so long made the Australian team ravenously hungry for revenge.

England had their chances in this game too, especially after the first day but they let Australia back into it again with a low first innings total. Then the centuries to Clarke, Hussey and especially Gilchrist's incredible, second fastest hundred in history blew them away and despite some disciplined batting and even counter-attack, they were always up against it in their second innings.

Here's Mike Hussey playing a hook shot, Adam Gilchrist driving through extra-cover and the other-wordly scoring chart from his 57 ball century. Only the "Master Blaster" Viv Richards has scored a faster hundred (56 balls), and that was on a postage-stamp sized ground in Antigua.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (3)

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 45
RE: The Ashes - 12/19/2006 3:28:14 PM   
sprior

Have to disagree Neilster, we didn't play well. Two good innings out of six is pretty p*** poor. Oh well, 2009...

I really enjoyed the Channel 9 coverage, even more so after listening to the 12th man in my car before hand! ".. and he's a Victorian!"

< Message edited by sprior -- 12/19/2006 3:38:13 PM >

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 46
RE: The Ashes - 12/20/2006 5:52:47 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Have to disagree Neilster, we didn't play well. Two good innings out of six is pretty p*** poor. Oh well, 2009...

I really enjoyed the Channel 9 coverage, even more so after listening to the 12th man in my car before hand! ".. and he's a Victorian!"

The Nine coverage is pretty over the top but that seems to work here. The addition of Mark Nicholas adds a bit of class and balance and I like how Tony Greig now openly supports all the opposition sides. Actually, the brace of former Australian captains that basically make up the Nine commentry team tend to help the touring teams with tactical and technical advice if Australia starts to smash them too badly because too one-sided a summer is bad for ratings.

Billy Birmingham has a new album out for Christmas called "Boned". Basically the new head of the 9 Network sacks Richie and co. and replaces them all with the 12th Man and they have to get their revenge. No doubt it'll be as good as all the others.

My personal favourites were the Indian players Bitova Kocksarker and Areal Muthafarker, as well as when Richie had a look at Mohammed Hazabigun's sore foot, and said it looked more like 10 inches to him.

There should be 95,000 at the MCG on Boxing Day now that the ridiculously big new grandstands are finished. They dwarf the previously ridiculously big Great Southern Stand complex. It's a fantastic experience to be there on that day. I've done it a couple of times. On one of them David Boon (who incidently, I had a chat to outside the supermarket on Monday night. Very happy he was.) hit a century.

Cheers, Neilster

And here is the "tough as teak Tasmanian". What a player...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 47
RE: The Ashes - 12/20/2006 10:05:41 AM   
JamesM

Just heard on TV that Warnie is going to retire. The pomps may finally have a chance.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 48
RE: The Ashes - 12/21/2006 1:44:22 AM   
Raverdave

Warnie is having a press conferance at the "G" 12:30 today.   It does not look good.   I dare say that he will play out to the end of this tour, but we will not see him in the ol'dart for the next ashes series.  BTW his tally stands at 799 wickets with an average of 28 runs for each wicket.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 49
RE: The Ashes - 12/21/2006 9:17:30 PM   
Terminus

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 50
RE: The Ashes - 12/22/2006 2:04:01 AM   
Raverdave

D'oh *Slaps forehead*

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 51
RE: The Ashes - 12/22/2006 2:31:14 AM   
Terminus

He could have retired immediately if he didn't have to break 700...

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 52
RE: The Ashes - 12/24/2006 2:51:10 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

He could have retired immediately if he didn't have to break 700...

Players generally don't retire during a series unless injured and Warne has never played for records or stats. His only interest is helping Australia to win. It's the perfect way to go out. With The Ashes already in the bag, he can enjoy a home test in Melbourne and then a farewell in Sydney where he played his first one in 1992.

BTW his bowling average is 25.49 which is very good by historical standards but certainly higher than some of the game's other legendary bowlers. He always "gets wickets at the other end" though, by frustrating batsmen with his accuracy and prodigious spin. They do something stupid against the other bowlers in an attempt to score. His ability to bowl for extended periods enables him to wear down opposition batting line-ups, chipping in for a wicket here and there, breaking partnerships. He also has the ability to conjure a wicket from nowhere, often precipitating a dramatic collapse or an unlikely comeback.

His batting average of 16.81 is about 10-15 too low for a player of his batting ability. The fact that he has the most runs in test cricket for a player who has never made a century is telling. He was caught on the boundary for 99 playing an atrocious slog in an attempt to bring up his first test 100 with a six. That's "Hollywood" Warne for you though. Ever the showman.

And what about Glenn McGrath? The metronome. 555 wickets at 21.65 and he made a habit of getting the very best batsmen out early. His 12 year combination with Warne has been Australia's best ever. My favourite memory of him, however, is his 61 (his only test 50) in a classic, comedy last wicket partnership of 114 with Jason Gillespie. When he hit a huge six, I nearly fell off my chair laughing. That said, he improved his batting considerably during his career and often stuck around while Gilchrist or Hussey was going beserk at the other end.

That Sydney test will be his last too. What a send off he and Warne will get.

Here's Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath and their classical slow and fast bowling actions.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Neilster -- 12/24/2006 3:01:58 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 53
RE: The Ashes - 12/24/2006 3:26:29 PM   
Terminus

Oh, okay... I'd convinced myself that the series was in fact over. Is it one or two tests that's left?

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 54
RE: The Ashes - 12/24/2006 5:37:15 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Oh, okay... I'd convinced myself that the series was in fact over. Is it one or two tests that's left?

Two tests. One starting on Boxing Day in Melbourne and the last one in Sydney starting on Jan 2nd. Despite Australia having already won the series, they play all the games. There's too much money to be made I guess. About 600,000 people will attend these games (given good weather; and that's looking a bit dicey in Melbourne), along with the millions watching it on telly. That's a lot of razoos in the coffers.

The last tests in dead series are often interesting. Young or new players usually get a game and there can be big form reversals. England's record against Australia from 1994 to 2005 doesn't look too bad until you realise that all but one of the wins was after the series was lost. Losing tests after winning a series has been one of the few weaknesses of the current Australian team, although they seem to have eliminated that recently.

Incidently Terminus, I see Denmark's Amjad Khan is eligible to play for England now. Denmark, the sleeping giant of European cricket awaketh!

It's a little known fact that the fourth largest group of immigrants to Australia were Germans. In the 80s, the Queensland cricket team had a bunch of big, blonde fast bowlers with names like Rackerman and Mueller. There seems to be a another Deutsch invasion on the way with several young players with Jerry surnames catching the selectors' attention. In a couple of years, the Australian team could conceivably have the names Katich, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz and Pomersbach in it. Those English tabloids would have a field day when we tour there in 2009.

"ACHTUNG AUSSIES!" style headlines with photoshopped coal-scuttle helmets and pictures of Freddy Flintoff in a spitfire or something.

Come to think of it, my friends and I always liked to pronounce "Warne" as "Var-ney"

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 12/24/2006 5:50:38 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Ashes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI