Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/15/2006 4:23:47 AM   
Skipjack

3 plus turns into a Tora, Tora, Tora scenario with Zeke99, I decided to post the action here to document my baptisim of fire in Pacific War. I Cannot hope to make this as detailed as some on the forum, but hopefully I will be able to show some action worth interest.

Post #: 1
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/15/2006 4:25:58 AM   
Skipjack

12/7/41 - Zeke99 opens up the offensive on Skipjack:
Clark Field: Many B17s destroyed/damaged on the ground. U.S. Fighters largely take it on the chin facing the Zeros.
Khoto Baru: 18th JAP Inf Div lands and drives off the 9th Indian Division. 2000 pnts of supplies landed after combat.
Davao: Japs land the 33/16th Bde and 56th Group, PI unit driven off.
Lagaspi: 16th JAP Inf Div lands and takes the base.
Sarawak: Yok SNLF lands and takes the base.
Singora: 5th JAP Inf Div lands and drives off the Indian defensive unit.
Miri, Guam, Tarawa all fall like a rock.
Air action off Kuatuan: British Surface TF is hit by Jap Air strikes and Prince of Wales suffers a '*****' on the 4th torpedo strike. Admiral Tom "Thumb" Philips is shown conclusively that aircraft ARE a match for Battleships. Repulse miraculously survives.
12/14/41:
35th JAP Independent Bde takes Tarakan.
Anbon: 65 Zekes attack Dutch wing, 10 Buffaloes destroyed. 2 CVs strike the port and sink 4 MCS.
Kendari: Bombarded by CA, 2CL. 56th Group takes the base.
Manila: Bombarded by 4DD, 56th & 16th Div attack and take the base, 17 aircraft lost.
Palabang: 2BB, 4CA, CL bombard. TF with 3CA land 1/18 Bde and takes the base.
Sorong: 17th Engr takes it.
Balikpapan: Taken by the Yok SNLF.
Port Moresby: 4CA, CL bombard, x/SAS Rgt takes the base. No allied air intervention :(
Milne Bay: Taken by 1/4th SBF.
Cagayan: Taken by 52nd JAP Div.
Rabaul: Taken by 2nd Mai Bn.
Escape from the Philippine Archipelago (Skipjack's version of 'Escape from New York'?):
Tenedos DD from Hong Kong Sunk off Miri.
CL Boise: Hit by 2 sorties from Lagaspi; 5 bomb hits. Staggering out, this ship faces long odds of ever seeing a friendly port.
CA Houston: Hit by 3 sorties from Lagaspi; 3 bomb hits. Not too bad - yet.
CL Marblehead & 4-stackers: Forces JAP TFs in Mindoro to abort, 4 Clemson DDs sunk by air strikes from Peleliu; Marblehead takes damage.
AV Langley and Manila Bay survivors: Apparently sailing down the Makassar straights was not as dangerous as Skipjack thought.
12/21/41:
Leyte and Ooshaven fall.
JAP 2nd Guards and 5th Div take Jitra.
JAP 33rd and 55th Div take Rangoon - ye old "2 squad defense" by the allies :(
JAP 38th Div tries to take Hong Kong, no joy.
Massive air strikes on Clark Field from Manila, Formosa and Lagaspi. No allied air power response.
JAP Air strikes from Palembang hit Singapore, Allied strikes from Batavia hit Palembang.
21st Independent Bde takes Palawan.
Japs Also take: Guadalcanal, Bougainville, Mindanao, Makassar and Panay.
53rd JAP Div takes Lingayen; PI divisions still resist.
Midway: 5 BB bombard, 7th Inf Div invades and is repulsed. A second division is added in after; they only add to the carnage on the beach.
Palembang: Transport TF is hit by air strikes from Singapore, a Mogami class is reported as sunk.
Anbon: Combined forces take the island, Kure SNLF does the job (allied MCS present are finished in port or trying to escape).
Timor: 4CA, CL bombard and South Seas Bde takes the Island.
Sea lanes in and around Timor: Asiatic Fleet units avoid destruction for another turn; Boise's odyssey to escape destruction and find a safe haven somewhere far from Japanese intervention continues.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 2
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/15/2006 6:30:14 AM   
Skipjack

12/28/41:

Lingayen: Last PI resistance wiped out.
Hong Kong: Still holding on.
Wake Island: Aik Strike from the Marshall Islands intercepted by 6 F4Fs - all 6 destroyed, but they took 8 zeroes with them
Port Moresby: B17s strike and destroy 14 aircraft on the ground
Japanese Capture: Mendano, Bali, Nauru, Cape Glouchester, Cebu and Waigen Is.
Batavia: 5CA, 4CL bombard but no invasion force (too slow?)
Surabaya: 2CV, 4AV Air Strike, 2BB, 6CA bombard - 52nd JAP Div take it, 64 aircraft lost
Air action off Timor - 4-stacker sunk and U.S. AO damaged.
Central Pacific - Zeke99 seems to have decided against a 2nd turn at Midway - for now.
Skipjack trying to figure out which fire is going to be next.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 3
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/16/2006 12:39:41 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Manila: Bombarded by 4DD, 56th & 16th Div attack and take the base, 17 aircraft lost.

Preposterous result -- the CD guns would have reduced the DD's to oily blotches on the water. Oh, well, it's hard to make a game perfect that has to fit into 640K DOS memory. I take it there was no Pearl Harbor strike?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 4
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/17/2006 12:47:24 AM   
Skipjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Preposterous result -- the CD guns would have reduced the DD's to oily blotches on the water. Oh, well, it's hard to make a game perfect that has to fit into 640K DOS memory. I take it there was no Pearl Harbor strike?

To be sure, the game does not give shore batteries any decent representation. For Manila, the 16th Jap Div had marched in overland; that plus the DD bombardment and 56th Jap Div invasion was enough to knock off the base. The loss of the squadrons has been tough.

Pearl Harbor - we did a Historical first turn, my bad for not discussing it. For some reason it was not in the VCR playback (bug?) 3 CLs showed varying levels of damage, a Mahan was reported as sunk, and Commander Fucida reported 5 Battleships sunk. That plus the Prince of Wales adds up to 6BB showing sunk in the losses menu. The US Navy will only go as far to say the California, Arizona and Oklahoma are "out of action". The Nevada is also out of action, but not as "out of action" as the other three.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 5
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/17/2006 2:30:22 AM   
Skipjack

1/4/42:

India: The Japanese have taken Akyab and Mandalay and they are now advancing on Lashio and Imphal. Allied resistance thus far negligible.
Malaysia: KL and Kuautan still hold.
Java: Japanese invasion of Batavia with the 35th Ind Bde failed (8th AUS Inf Div fought them off).
Luzon: Clark Field and Baatan still hold.
Kedari: A large number of TFs spotted. Allied SIGINT still ineffective on providing details.
Also conquered: Sawabaia Is, New Georgia.

Zeke99's strategy thus far has been to avoid forward allied defenses and take undefended 4+ factor air bases behind them - thus isolating the forward units, preventing reinforcements or resupply in addition to preventing any sort of withdrawal. I must admit it is working admirably thus far.

Skipjack trying to solidify the defenses of the Central Pacific, Australia and India; wondering what the major thrust will be after Indonesia. Last turn was uneventful compared to the previous turns; Japs low on supplies perhaps? Otherwise I have no explanation.

< Message edited by Skipjack -- 7/17/2006 7:48:06 AM >

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 6
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/20/2006 5:14:21 AM   
Skipjack

1/11/42:

The Japanese Blitzkrieg continues - Owen Stanley Mtns, Laosho, Flores, Tjilitjap and Kavieng fall.
BB Yamato and others bombard Wake Island and the 54th Inf Div lands, but cannot take it. Then the 48th Inf Div is added and it is too much for the Marines to handle.
Hong Kong falls to the 38th Inf Div.

1/18/42:
Myitkina, Imphal, Kolombangara, Emirau, Shortlands, Tenimbar fall.
Resistance in Hong Kong ends. KL and Clark Field still hold; air attacks only the past couple of weeks.
Batavia bombarded by 1CA, 3CL but no ground action; supplies arrive.

Massive air strikes from Kendari smash allied air in Darwin (Hawks and Wirraways).
Darwin bombarded by 7BB, 3CL. Massive disruption to Aussie ground units, but no invasion or CV support (recon operation?).  Jap TF seen zipping south towards Perth, but it did not enter the port to bombard; no combat precipitated.

Allies worry about the rapid advance of the Japanese into upper Burma - apparantly the lack of the death railway has not slowed then down yet. A thin red line will be needed to hold India at this rate.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 7
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/20/2006 10:50:08 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skipjack

1/18/42:
Myitkina, Imphal, Kolombangara, Emirau, Shortlands, Tenimbar fall.
Resistance in Hong Kong ends. KL and Clark Field still hold; air attacks only the past couple of weeks.
Batavia bombarded by 1CA, 3CL but no ground action; supplies arrive.

Massive air strikes from Kendari smash allied air in Darwin (Hawks and Wirraways).
Darwin bombarded by 7BB, 3CL. Massive disruption to Aussie ground units, but no invasion or CV support (recon operation?). Jap TF seen zipping south towards Perth, but it did not enter the port to bombard; no combat precipitated.

Allies worry about the rapid advance of the Japanese into upper Burma - apparantly the lack of the death railway has not slowed then down yet. A thin red line will be needed to hold India at this rate.

Unfortunately, in Version 3.2 there is not one LCU in all of SEAC present on Dec. 7 capable a putting up a real fight. The experience levels are such that the leadership checks are almost certain to fail at some point, leading to the infamous two-squad defense. Some better units arrive after a few turns, but the existing units get WORSE over time, because experience drops as raw recruits fill the units to full TOE. I admit it's too late now, but my tactic for dealing with this is to bobmbard Rangoon with whatever BB's and cruisers are on hand as soon as it falls. The disruption of LCU's and supplies buys vitally needed time. It seems to me you will have to choose between keeping one or two bases in India, or surrendering the entire continent and hanging on to Ceylon.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 8
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/21/2006 5:35:29 AM   
Skipjack

quote:

Unfortunately, in Version 3.2 there is not one LCU in all of SEAC present on Dec. 7 capable a putting up a real fight. The experience levels are such that the leadership checks are almost certain to fail at some point, leading to the infamous two-squad defense. Some better units arrive after a few turns, but the existing units get WORSE over time, because experience drops as raw recruits fill the units to full TOE. I admit it's too late now, but my tactic for dealing with this is to bobmbard Rangoon with whatever BB's and cruisers are on hand as soon as it falls. The disruption of LCU's and supplies buys vitally needed time. It seems to me you will have to choose between keeping one or two bases in India, or surrendering the entire continent and hanging on to Ceylon.

Indeed, It took me a few days to get my game turn out while coming to grip with the unsavoury choices presenting themselves to me in India. Where is the Gurkha regiment from Version 1.2?

Post #: 9
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/21/2006 5:43:48 AM   
Skipjack

1/25/42:

SEAC Update:  Andaman Is. fall, looks like the Japs have no intention of giving the Brits a break on this front.
Jap ground offensive in India pauses this week - Allied air power trying to disrupt the Jap units in any way they can.

Australia:  2BB, many CAs bombard Broome.  52nd Inf Div lands initially and is repulsed, then 2 more Brigades are added and the Aussies retreat to Darwin.  Will the Americans have anyone to fight with them in 1943?
Meanwhile, KB appears off Perth and Air strikes the port.  1 AO is sunk.

Also taken - Green Is, Hollandia.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 10
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/21/2006 10:25:48 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Indeed, It took me a few days to get my game turn out while coming to grip with the unsavoury choices presenting themselves to me in India. Where is the Gurkha regiment from Version 1.2?

I'm afraid that's gone. The LCU's in India have been massively re-organized, not once but several times, during the various changes from Ver. 1.2 to Ver. 3.2. IMHO the best implementation was in Ver. 2.3 -- all mods since then have been one step forward, but two steps back. There is one thing that may save your bacon in India. There is an invisible "Monsoon Season" affecting bases in Burma and most of the bases in India. Attacker readiness is divided by four during the months of March, April, and May. (Yes, I know that's not the actual Monsoon season, but it's what is in the game code.)

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 11
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/25/2006 5:00:02 AM   
Skipjack

2/1/42:
Japs take: Buna, D'Entrecateaux, Rennell Is, Jolo. Batavia attack resumed (roughly 3 breakdown brigades involved), 8th AUS Div still holds.
Otherwise air action only.

2/8/42:
Japanese ground forces attack KL, which falls - 2 squad defense
Air attacks from Kendari pound Darwin, followed by Admiral Nagumo (2BB, 8CA, 3CL) and Nishimura (7BB, 4CL). Japanese ground attack succeeds with a 31 squad attack - Aussies muster a 2 squad, 2 gun defense .

Dugout Doug has been recalled to help stabilize the Australian front - he imediately declared Cloncurry a "fortified place", forbidding any retreat. Aussies complain they are on a "Mission to heaven", US - Australian relationships tense.

India:  2 more turns until the monsoons set in - Allies sweating it out.

Post #: 12
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/26/2006 5:36:35 AM   
Skipjack

2/15/42:

At last! For those of you patiently waiting for some action in this game, we finally have some. Zeke99 has diverted TFs from Australia to go for Ceylon and the British fight back.

IJN TF 10 (CV, 2CVL, 2CVE) heads for Ceylon and draws a reaction move by TF 56 (CV, CVL, 2CA). TF56 hits first and gets '****' on a CVL plus a few other minor hits. TF 10 counter strikes - Hermes takes 3 bombs, 3 torpedoes and sinks. TF 10 launches a second strike and manages a '***' on a CVE. TF 10 counterstrikes (full strike this time) and pounds the Indominable beneath the waves.

IJN TF1 (2BB, 8CA, 3CL) Makes it to Columbo and bombards - no defenders. Air strikes from Tricomolee (Warhawks and Hudsons) inflict minor damage to one BB.

IJN TF11 (several CAs and CLs) Intercepted by TF60 (3BB,CL,2DE) off Ceylon.  TF60 achieves surprise.  A furious gun battle results, Jap CAs take damage from the British big guns (1 Myoko class sunk) but the long lance torpedos strike back (Ramillies class BB sunk).  TF60 surprise offset by shear weight of numbers.

IJN TF20 (transports) hit by Allied air strikes off Ceylon and abort.

Meanwhile, in Indonesia, Batavia is bombarded and reinforced; 2 Div plus 2 breakdown Bdes attack and take it from the 8th Aus Div.

Air strikes continue on Singapore and Clark Field.

Allied TF50 (BC, CA, 3CL) hit by air strikes from Java, but continues on to Ceylon.

Overall, the Japanese come out ahead on this turn big time (CV, CVL, BB sunk for CA sunk and CVL, CVE damaged) but at least the allies inflicted some losses in return.

< Message edited by Skipjack -- 7/26/2006 6:21:00 AM >

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 13
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/27/2006 10:33:56 PM   
Capt. Harlock

If I'm reading this correctly, the three big holdouts are Clark AFB, Batavia, and Singapore. And Zeke is invading Northern Australia without having secured these? Gutsy, but risky. I have a feeling the collapse of the Oil Reserve will happen even sooner than usual, and that means he'll start to run low on Preparation Points.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 14
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/28/2006 7:10:51 AM   
Skipjack

Clark Field and Singapore still hold.  The japs have take Batavia but it is still contested.  Zeke99 has largely bypassed these bases in order to isolate them and exploit the weakly held areas beyond them.   I hope the supplies and PP run short soon.   Loss of squadrons on the allied side has been tough - Manila and Java especially.   For all of his aggressive strategy, the 1st Air Fleet has shown itself sparingly - he is doing a good job keeping its whereabouts and intentions a secret.  I continue to hope for an ambush.

Post #: 15
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/28/2006 10:19:45 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I hope the supplies and PP run short soon. Loss of squadrons on the allied side has been tough - Manila and Java especially.

Something to consider: destroyed squadrons re-appear in the appropriate country's capital. US squadrons in San Francisco (Washington isn't on the map), Aussie squadrons in Sydney, and Dutch squadrons in Soerbaja. This means that Dutch squadrons often never come back, since Java is often never liberated. I occasionally switch Dutch and Australian squadrons so as only to lose what will eventually be replaced.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 16
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/31/2006 9:19:07 AM   
Skipjack

quote:

Something to consider: destroyed squadrons re-appear in the appropriate country's capital. US squadrons in San Francisco (Washington isn't on the map), Aussie squadrons in Sydney, and Dutch squadrons in Soerbaja. This means that Dutch squadrons often never come back, since Java is often never liberated. I occasionally switch Dutch and Australian squadrons so as only to lose what will eventually be replaced.

Pretty good idea - in hindsight I should have pulled as much as possible out of Java - the Dutch ground troops (experience < 20) were worthless, making any defense of this place tough - even with Australian help.

Post #: 17
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/31/2006 9:23:24 AM   
Skipjack

2/22:

Perth bombarded by 7Jap BBs plus CLs. Allied TF achieves surprise! Note to self: surprise does not help when you have 1CA, 5CL vs. 7BBs. Houston, Marblehead and 4 Dutch CLs are sunk, 1 Jap CL claimed sunk in return.
Medan, Perth and Singapore fall.

3/1:

Batavia: General Mutaguchi is in charge and finished off the 8th AUS Div after two rounds of combat. Wewak also falls.
Japanese bring several TFs to India.  Allied air sqaudrons manage to claim a CL, DD and 3-4 Transports.
British Surface TF led by Repulse fights a Japanese TF in Calcutta and inflict moderate-to-heavy damage on two Kongo-type BBs.
Japanese Transport TFs in Calcutta abort.
Jap TFs in Vizgipan (sp?) blast by the CL and 2DDs present and capture the base - no defenders.

Odds of holding India look grim in the face of Japanese land, air and sea campaign.

< Message edited by Skipjack -- 8/1/2006 5:50:13 AM >

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 18
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 7/31/2006 10:16:54 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

2/22:

Perth bombarded by 7Jap BBs plus CLs. Allied TF achieves suprise! Note to self: suprise does not help when you have 1CA, 5CL vs. 7BBs. Houston, Marblehead and 4 Dutch CLs are sunk, 1 Jap CL claimed sunk in return.
Medan, Perth and Singapore fall.

3/1:

Batavia: General Mutaguchi is in charge and finished off the 8th AUS Div after two rounds of combat. Wewak also falls.
Japanese bring several TFs to India.  Allied air sqaudrons manage to claim a CL, DD and 3-4 Transports.
British Surface TF led by Repulse fights a Japanese TF in Calcutta and inflict moderate-to-heavy damage on two Kongo-type BBs.
Japanese Transport TFs in Calcutta abort.
Jap TFs in Vizgipan (sp?) blast by the CL and 2DDs present and capture the base - no defenders.

Odds of holding India look grim in the face of Japanese land, air and sea campaign.

Going for India and Northern Australia simultaneously? That is ambitious indeed. How's the situation in the Northern and Central Pacific?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 19
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/1/2006 5:56:22 AM   
Skipjack

In the North Pacific, there has simply been no action. Central Pacific has been quiet after the fall of Wake Island, no TFs of note spotted. It seems the bulk of the IJN is now concentrating on India - with Perth, Darwin, Broome and Port Moresby held by the enemy, getting help to the Brits looks tough. Too bad the game doesn't provide the Panama canal and Madagascar with a trans-atlantic option

< Message edited by Skipjack -- 8/1/2006 5:57:53 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/4/2006 5:15:22 AM   
Skipjack

3/8/42:
British Surface TF operating again in Calcutta manages to force Jap invasion TFs to abort. Jap LBA strikes heavily damage a CL and moderately damage a BB.
1st Air Fleet arrives but stands off at very long range - a few Blenhiems try an attack and are wiped out. Clark Field falls after heavy ground fighting. Japanese ground assault in Vizagapatam fails to drive off the defenders.

3/15/42:
Repulse continues it's fight with the IJN in the waters off Calcutta. Significant numbers of CAs arrive, Danae class CL hit with heavy damage, York class CA sunk, another CA damaged, BC moderate damage. British claim heavy damage to 1CA, moderate damage to another and a CL.
Landings in Calcutta thwarted again but troops and supplies are pouring into Vizagapatam - lone Indian Division driven off by roughly 3 Jap Inf Divs, which advance on Calcutta and Ranchi.
Off Ceylon, more bad news for the British Empire.  The 1st Air Fleet shows up and knocks off a lone british carrier - SIGINT failed to warn the Eastern fleet of the danger.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 21
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/5/2006 6:00:04 AM   
Skipjack

3/22/42:

Admiral Nishimura brings Yamato and the 6 slower BBs to Calcutta to bombard. An invasion by 2 transport TFs follows - Japanese Divisions are beaten off with heavy losses - Kudos to the British 18th Div and 7th Arm Bde.  Many British TFs staggering about under Jap LBA strikes, escape to Columbo seems temporary since Tricomolee just fell.

Japanese also launch a bloody assault against the troops contesting Clark Field, U.S. Joint Chiefs decided to assign General Short to the Phillipines since it only involves infantry; he aquits himself well. Overall a good turn for the allies inflicting casualties on the Japanese.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 22
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/5/2006 9:27:41 PM   
MadMax1

Hey--I have a question on running PacWar..   I use windows XP and when the game runs I get graphic distortions on the game screens which dont let me see how many fighters there are and also below the ships graphics where the fuel capacity is shown... Anybody else encounter this problem before??

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 23
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/5/2006 9:55:49 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Problems with graphics are usually either too little DOS memory available, or your video system doesn't fully support EGA graphics mode. Check how much "low memory" you have free by opening a command window and typing the "mem" command. Then refer to the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to MadMax1)
Post #: 24
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/9/2006 4:50:52 AM   
Skipjack

Some updates:
3/29/42:
Calcutta air strikes hit Jap CV - a '****' result from a TDB Devestator! Allied Intel believes it may have been the Junyo.
Jap Battalion takes Attu - North Pacific may be warming up.
Jap Air TF3 pounds allied transports off Ceylon, many sunk.
Colombo, Wewak and Biak fall.

4/5/42:
Japs land troops and resume the attack on Calcutta - British/Indian troops hold. Dacca also repulses attack. Aussies try attack vs. Jap troops in Cloncurry and suffer a bloody repulse.

4/12/42:
Jap 5th Inf Div added to Dacca after enduring several air strikes (AP, AV sunk), British 1/7th Arm Rgt holds.
British try a desperate assault on Ranchi, they are forced back to Diampur.

4/19/42:
Transport TF hit by CW airstrikes,2 '****' torpedo hits on a CVE reported - but not sunk.  The pilots may have overestimated their effectiveness.  Dacca and Calcutta are attacked again - weakly this time.
Jap Air TF from Perth smashes transports escaping from Ceylon.

Now, there are lots of British and Indian troops in India, too bad they have no supplies

Post #: 25
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/21/2006 12:00:21 AM   
Skipjack

Latest updates:

4/26/42:

Chinese try to take Myitinka - bad idea. It goes badly.
Japanese continue to pound the Commonwealth survivors - a second TF tries to go around the north coast of Australia and is sunk off Darwin.
The bloody battle for Clark Field continues - Japs hold it but allies still resist.

5/3/52:

Dacca still holds - recent combat 146 Jap squads lost vs. 25 British.
Clark Field - 421 jap vs 581 allied squad losses, then 510 jap vs. 652 allied leads to an allied retreat to Bataan.
18th British Inf Division attacks in Dimpuar, suffers 400 sqads lost vs. 4 japs. ouch.
7 jap BBs bombard Dacca; supplies are landed; Dacca falls

5/10/42:

Calcutta: Japs attack and take 1214 squad loss vs. 24; end of turn they attack again - Japs loss 256 vs 553 allied.
Allies march back into Clark Field - MacArthur believes there is a lot of fight left in them.

5/17/42:

Virtually the entire IJN surface fleet is hovering over Calcutta bombarding - ground attack still goes badly for Japs, 291 vs. 0 squad losses.

5/24/42:

All allied resistance for Dacca ceases. The 1/7th British armoured regiment left to defend it was by this time reduced to an oversized platoon.
Japs attack Clark Field again - 1st 452 vs. 171 squads lost, then 90 vs. 86 and allies retreat.
Last British vessels trying to escape from the wreck of India, after watching the carnage off Perth and Darwin, try a bold move - head through the central pacific to Seattle. It doesn't work - Air power from all over the Phillipines, Japan, Palau, et. al. pounds the last survivors - Repulse, Royal Sovereign, Dorchester and Cornwall lost. :(

5/31/42:

Weekly Jap bombardment of Calcutta continues; 731 jap squads lost vs. 641 allied.
BB North Carolina passes through the Panama Canal and arrives at San Diego - en route to Cook Is. it takes a torpedo. Whether due to lack of zig-zag, unsealed doors below decks or improper damage control, the single torpedo claims the ship with exensive loss of life. A congressional investigation is underway.

The counter-attack may have to wait until 1944.

< Message edited by Skipjack -- 8/21/2006 12:02:15 AM >

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 26
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/21/2006 10:21:40 PM   
Capt. Harlock

My condolences -- Zeke is doing an amazing job putting your surface units on the bottom.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 27
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 8/23/2006 9:00:09 AM   
Skipjack

Thanks, Capt. Harlock for following this thread.  I am amazed at the vulnerability of combat vessels in this version - which would be OK if merchant vessels and APs were even more vulnerable.  That is not the case - their is another thread dealing with the relative invulnerability of MCS when facing air strikes.  1 torp takes down the best protected allied vessel, while allied air strikes need to celebrate when they manage to claim an AV.  Something is wrong - North Carolina lost?? Oh, the humanities!!

Pacific War has, IMHO, always made surface vessels too valueable - in WWII they served best as AA platforms escorting carrier groups.  The surface battles of November, 1942 were exceptions rather than the rule because both sides had withdrawn or lost their carrier task forces in previous air duels.  The vessels that engaged in surface combat were often the escorts of air TFs that remained after the carriers were sunk or damaged and withdrawn.

Post #: 28
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 9/12/2006 11:54:39 AM   
zeke99

I guess one reason MCS can take a lot is that the game tries to emmulate the huge amount of vessels both sides used but is limited to display. I my estimation 1 MCS represents about 20 real ships while the number of war ships is accurate.

re game progress:
Not much happened the last 4-5 turns. Jap run out of PP and oil, also some repairs have to be made. Mainly regrouping on both sides.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 29
RE: Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack - 9/12/2006 10:21:40 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: zeke99

re game progress:
Not much happened the last 4-5 turns. Jap run out of PP and oil, also some repairs have to be made. Mainly regrouping on both sides.

If I've got this straight, Calcutta and Bataan are still holding. How many of the key oil bases are still in Allied hands?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to zeke99)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Pacific War - Climb Timm's Hill - Zeke99 vs Skipjack Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI