Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rundstedt's Plan Martin (graphics heavy)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Rundstedt's Plan Martin (graphics heavy) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rundstedt's Plan Martin (graphics heavy) - 7/2/2006 5:03:09 AM   
Captain Cruft

Rundstedt's Plan Martin, by Daniel McBride

This will not be a detailed AAR, I really just wanted to post to say how utterly superb this scenario is.

I am currently playing as the Allies vs. Terminus as the Germans and we are on turn 14 (of 100).

The scenario is a "what-if" Battle of the Bulge variant, which puts the famous Battle into its wider context. Units are at regiment/battalion scale and turns are half-days. I have played quite a few Bulge games before (with Decisive Battles and Panzer Campaigns) but this outshines them all IMHO. The designer has created a superlative large map and really used the TOAW event editor to its fullest extent.

I can heartily recommend this scenario to any budding TOAW PBEM players. Terminus and I are far from experts but we are having a blast, with neither side yet having a significant advantage. While it is definitely a large scenario I am not finding it unmanageable, and am even remembering what all my divisions are called and what they are supposed to be doing ...

To give a small flavour of the scenario here is the overview map as of end turn 14.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/22/2006 6:14:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/2/2006 9:57:07 AM   
Industrial

I second that, I am also playing a game of Plan Martin at the moment (as the germans, righ now busy doing my turn 6) and it is indeed a superb scenario. But I have to warn you, the german turns do consume quite a bit of time to do, if you are serious about maximizing your efficiency, as bad terrain, bridge crossing (house rule limited) and hefty stacking penealties make even the moving phase a challenge
Hey, Captain Cruft, why isn't your opponent attacking from the north of Aachen, which would be the second pronged attack for the operational Plan Martin and encircelment of the US forces? He's giving you far too much breathing space that way, he should push a bit harder to really get the US boys sweating

"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

<--- aka: Kraut

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 2
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/2/2006 1:19:43 PM   
Terminus

Oh, his opponent is attacking north of Aachen every turn... Unfortunately, there's been no clean breakthrough, just inching forward. Best I can hope for is to tie down troops that might otherwise go to the fighting near Liege and Spa...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Industrial)
Post #: 3
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/2/2006 2:03:00 PM   
Industrial

Hmmm, in my game at the beginning of turn 6 I am only 7,5 km from Aachen, and the city is still a sudden death victory location But I doubt that I'll get it before my opponent can go with Monty, but at least I have him in a situation where it would be suicidal to choose Bradley, so my northern attack has already achieved something (besides mauling the 43rd Wessex ID and the 84th ID ofc )

I can already feel the defence stiffening as more and more US divisions are released, and I think turn 15+ will be really miserable for the german, when the alied JaBos finally appear.... better grab some land fast me thinks

"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/2/2006 2:11:29 PM   
Terminus

Unfortunately, I just haven't been fast enough to get out of the Roermond salient. Elsewhere, the Grossdeutschland Corps is on the Meuse facing a counterattacking XXX Corps, and Cruft's air force is beginning to appear. Much unpleasantness awaits, I fear...

(in reply to Industrial)
Post #: 5
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/4/2006 5:00:28 AM   
Captain Cruft

Update

We have just played turn 16 (I think).

Terminus may be worried about my airforce but I am, err, disappointed. Virtually all of the tac squadrons have gone on strike (re-org) and the air briefing is even showing that the Luftwaffe has a slight superiority! This is even before Operation Boden Platz, which occurs later (see the scenario doc for details).

On the plus side, I did use the temporary vast HE delivery power of the 8th USAF to blow up virtually all the bridges over the Moselle super river. That should have a supply impact on the southern half of the front, which is where I am having most problems.

Ground-wise, I am still just digging in and trying to form a coherent line in most places. This is going relatively well in the north and, to be honest, badly in the south. Bastogne fell a few turns ago and I have been retreating the 82nd/10st Airborne and the 10th Armoured Divs ever since. Quite a lot of stuff being lost in the process ...

Luxembourg and Arlon are both under siege. These are both EEV increasing objectives and a higher EEV has good effects for the Germans (again see the docs).

The only place where I am attacking is south of the Meuse with XXX Corps. Terminus had just crossed the river here when the Brits showed up (via a scheduled event), and due to his proximity they all got activated out of Garrison status. They are now doing quite well, with the help of the US 5th Armoured Div, which I manually activated via a Theatre Option at a cost of 400 VPs. The intention is to push the Germans back to the next super river to the east.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/4/2006 5:19:57 AM   
Terminus

I'm starting to feel some of the supply woes that Cruft was hoping to cause. More than a few units THAT I REALLY NEED RIGHT NOW are either in single-digit Supply and Organisation, or have gone into Re-Org. Neither is terribly useful to me...

In the Roermond salient, the Verdammte Engländer are showing their characteristic resilience in defence. I've been pounding one particular battalion for a couple of turns now, this turn causing 44% casualties in the assault. Did it break and run? Nooooo...

Post #: 7
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/4/2006 11:20:26 AM   
Industrial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft
Terminus may be worried about my airforce but I am, err, disappointed. Virtually all of the tac squadrons have gone on strike (re-org) and the air briefing is even showing that the Luftwaffe has a slight superiority! This is even before Operation Boden Platz, which occurs later (see the scenario doc for details).

Remember that your (and the german) airforce often operate ander pretty bad air shock penalties because of the bad weather, thats why you see such a low pwerformance and many ReOrgs.

quote:

Luxembourg and Arlon are both under siege. These are both EEV increasing objectives and a higher EEV has good effects for the Germans (again see the docs).

Nope, higher EEV is actually good for the allies, everything below EEV 100 only allowes the Allies to bring in more divisions or keep theese additional reinforcements past their withdrawal date, only a EEV of 100 finally gives the german a bonus because it means that his 6th SS Panzer Army won't withdraw. So a EEV of 95 would do nothing for the germans but quite a lot (positive) for the allies

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Post #: 8
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/4/2006 12:10:43 PM   
Industrial

I don't want to post a map screenshot as to not give my opponent too much intel, but here is a rough description of what happened so far (just send off my turn 6):

In the north:
43rd Wessex ID - about 80% destroyed, the survivors are in a bad shape and probably combat unready
84th Inf D - took a heavy beating in the opening phase, current status unknown, surviving units are believed to retreated behind the Wurm River to protect the Aachen bulge and rest + resupply.

Center:
106th ID - eliminated
28th ID - eliminated

South:
9th ArmD - eliminated
4th ID - 80% eliminated, the survivors are surrounded or routed

Currently US forces opposing me:
North:
1st ID
7th ArmD

Center:
3rd ArmD

South:
10th ArmD
82nd AB D

(excluded here are the still static fronts)

Northern situation: german spearheads 7,5km from Aachen, 7,5km from Maastricht

Center: most resistance collapsed, I could probably drive straight to Paris now. Bastogne and St.Vith captured, I am 10km from Spa and 25km from Liege, on the western approach the Meuse river is almost reached

South: german forces are outside Arlon and Luxembourg, both still defended by strong, but outnumbered US forces.

Henry Alfred Kissinger

(in reply to Industrial)
Post #: 9
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/4/2006 12:59:28 PM   
Speedysteve

Go on Cruft. Smack T.

We are having a bash at the 40-43 North African Campaign. Any opponent of T is a friend of mine

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Industrial)
Post #: 10
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/4/2006 5:53:36 PM   
Menschenfresser

Playing as the Allies, I know that the northern front can be hell for the Germans, unless the Allies don't reinforce it with US units from around Aachen. The Allied player starts with a LOT of units in and around Aachen that activate over, say, the first 10 turns. The difficult question is whether to send some of them north or all south. I think I sent 7th Arm to shore up the line north. And later stripped off excess units along Aachen's eastern flank.

Make wargames, not war.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 11
RE: Rundstedt's Plan Martin - 7/4/2006 8:21:24 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Go on Cruft. Smack T.

We are having a bash at the 40-43 North African Campaign. Any opponent of T is a friend of mine

Shaddup Tiny, and send me the next turn so I can continue to smack YOU around...

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 12
Sitrep Turn 20 - 7/16/2006 6:40:26 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 20

Turn 20 has come and gone and the situation is as below. There are still 80 turns to go!

Other than the brave Brits of XXX Corps (south of the Meuse) I am not in a position to go on the offensive anywhere yet. In fact in the south I am struggling quite badly. The Germans have taken Luxembourg and I am still striving to form a cohesive line across most of the front. I have been forced to use all kinds of stuff as "hole-pluggers", including some AA units and even some French paratroopers from 3rd Army reserve.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/16/2006 6:52:33 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: Sitrep Turn 20 - 7/17/2006 2:50:07 PM   
Terminus

In the north, 15th Army is still slugging it out with only very limited results against the American and British forces in the Roermond salient. I'm not optimistic at all.

In the centre, the whole thing is a big fat mess; the Grossdeutschland corps has been very comprehensively stopped by British and American forces. The Führer Begleit Brigade has been cut off and surrounded for a few turns, but hopefully the enveloping British units are too weak to finish them off before I can extract them, having broken the cordon this last turn. Remains to be seen whether I can keep the hole open.

In the southern sector, Cruft is slowly withdrawing a few of his units from around Luxembourg, presumably in order to build a more effective defence. I'll see if I can't bounce them further back before they can entrench.

Post #: 14
Sitrep Turn 25 - 7/20/2006 6:46:14 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 25

Well things are now getting a little silly. I provide the map below without comment ...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 15
RE: Sitrep Turn 25 - 7/20/2006 8:35:17 PM   
Terminus

Silly? I thought you said it was a thoroughly planned, very serious counter attack?

Post #: 16
Ruhr Bridgehead - 7/21/2006 8:36:31 PM   
Captain Cruft

Well my little sally over the Ruhr is going much better than I thought it would. Here is a detailed picture.

Two bridges are now in US hands.

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/21/2006 8:38:15 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 17
Sambre Bridgehead - 7/21/2006 8:41:59 PM   
Captain Cruft

EDIT: Superfluous post, sorry.

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/22/2006 12:20:54 AM >

Post #: 18
US 1st Army counter offensive - 7/21/2006 8:45:43 PM   
Captain Cruft

Over in the US 1st Army sector, we are gradually pushing the Germans back to the river line. One hex at a time ... 

Post #: 19
Southern Front - 7/21/2006 8:50:20 PM   
Captain Cruft

The southern front between Arlon and Luxembourg finally seems to be stabilising.

Post #: 20
Turn 28 - 7/22/2006 12:18:38 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 28

Turn 28 is now finished. Map below. You can see that the Ruhr bridgehead has expanded a bit

Post #: 21
Eh? - 7/22/2006 12:20:27 AM   
Captain Cruft

The Canadians arrive to deal with the bridgehead over the Sambre river. It cost me 600 VPs to active this corps. Expensive but worth it ...

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/22/2006 12:21:53 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: Eh? - 7/22/2006 1:16:34 AM   
Terminus

Miserable Canucks! I shall crush them as I crush this paper cup!

Hnnnh... Gnnn... Argh...

Post #: 23
Turn 31 - 7/22/2006 6:13:14 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 31

Well, my excursion over the Ruhr has come to an end since the Germans have flooded the dams via a Theatre Option. Desperate times call for desperate measures ...

This is a theatre option completely implemented by house rules. After a bit of confusion I realised that it what it means is that I cannot maintain my "engineer bridgeheads" in the super river hexes. Now while I might well have been able to maintain the offensive without these (I have two intact road bridges) I felt that it was in the spirit of the game to withdraw.

I think the game may now largely degenerate into something of a static slug-fest for a while. Except for the far west of the map where, judging by his movements, Terminus still has some sneaky plans.

We shall see

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 24
RE: Turn 31 - 7/22/2006 6:44:26 PM   
Terminus

Sneaky plans? Moi?

Post #: 25
Turn 32 (map) - 7/23/2006 1:21:38 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 32

As a special treat, and if you are not Terminus, you can see the entire zoomed out map at the link below. It's a 6mb file ...

http://cornucopia-networks.co.uk/images/big-rundstedt.png

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 26
Turn 33 - 7/23/2006 2:02:28 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 33

The blizzards have come. Shock is at 70% for both sides, and about the same proportion of my units have gone orange. So there will not much activity for a while ...

As we enter this quiet period, the score is saying "significant defeat" for the Allies. About 4,000 points worth. So, although I would say I am probably "winning", there is much ground to recover in the next 67 turns.

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/23/2006 2:05:54 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: Turn 33 - 7/23/2006 2:41:55 AM   
Terminus

I feel quite comfortable if you want to surrender, Cruft...

Post #: 28
RE: Turn 33 - 7/23/2006 3:57:57 AM   
Captain Cruft

Never 

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29
Turn 47 - 7/26/2006 10:00:11 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 47

Well, as predicted we have had several turns of inconsequential slugging it out in various areas.

However, as of about now I am finally in a position to start doing something about the German's westward over-extension.

In particular, the trusty Canadians are trampling on the FJ at Charleroi. I am very pleased with these troops, even though they have cost me 1200 VPs to keep on the map.

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/26/2006 10:02:43 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Rundstedt's Plan Martin (graphics heavy) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI