Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm >> RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/20/2006 11:18:01 AM   
Ursa MAior

You know Yoozername, in all of the matrix forums there is ONE overenthusiastic poster, who feels himself at home (probably was among the first ones to post there), BUT they also have a common feature. They have a style which can be best desribed as irritating. Well here you are this 'First to post host'. You have a nice collection of T34 pictures so what? Please refain from this style in thew future.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 31
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/20/2006 7:11:18 PM   
Yoozername

Refain from diatribes. Or just work on them a bit longer. I enjoy a good diatribe. But glad you liked the pictures.

I do not see any glowplugs in the engine or manuals for the T34. Can anyone else verify this? I will look at the electrical schematic which should show them.

Having fuel injection (which diesels do) is a risky business in an engine bay of a armored vehicle. A punctured line will result in a catstrophic loss of fuel pressure and a massive fuel leak. A carburator can run at a much lower fuel pressure. If you have ever disconnected a pressurized fuel injection line you know that teh fuel does not spurt out but will be released in a mist.

The one source (Finn) states that he uses an electric pump for oil pressure (!). This would be quite a pump if anyone is familiar with electric motors and pumping viscous fluids. I also wonder if its just a pre-oiler since running an electrc pump full time would require a continuous duty mother.

One source states that T34 went from forged to cast wheels and drive. More than likely so as to increase production. This at the sake of protection. The Germans went the other way when they found that their drive wheels were being bent like pretzels by HE and trees, etc.

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 4/24/2006 6:57:10 PM >

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 32
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/20/2006 9:08:35 PM   
Yoozername

Of all the automotive details, I would think the inclusion of an exhaust 'smoke' graphic (when T34 accelerate primarily) might be nice. If the game does model obscurants (smoke/dust/etc) then this might be modeled also.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 33
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/20/2006 10:34:29 PM   
Yoozername

Sorry about the size but this is a cross sectional drawing of the cylinder head. No glowplug. It would have to be in the area where the piston does not cross.

I think that person's anectodal story about seeing a truck that he thought had a T34 engine in it can be doubted. Sorry Andreas. No glowplug.

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 4/20/2006 10:37:03 PM >

(in reply to Andreas1968)
Post #: 34
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/21/2006 12:53:49 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

Of all the automotive details, I would think the inclusion of an exhaust 'smoke' graphic (when T34 accelerate primarily) might be nice. If the game does model obscurants (smoke/dust/etc) then this might be modeled also.

We have exhaust smoke in the game, it is generic for all units though.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 35
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/23/2006 4:37:05 AM   
Yoozername

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

The block of the t34 engine was made of aluminium. One of the reasons the germans decided against a 1:1 copy.

The Tiger I had an aluminum block (initially) with cast iron heads. I would suggest that the Germans did not want a diesel engine. They needed a more powerfull engine.

http://www.alanhamby.com/maybach.html

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 4/23/2006 4:50:17 AM >

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 36
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/23/2006 5:23:09 AM   
Yoozername

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

We have exhaust smoke in the game, it is generic for all units though.

I do not think that petrol (gasoline) engines do that to the degree that a T34 diesel will. I can link to many photos of German tanks in winter weather NOT spewing exhaust. Some accounts state that at night, flames might shoot out of the exhaust when gunning the engine, but even in the 40s, gasoline engine technology with carbs had a reasonably 'clean' burn.

But, more importantly, does the smoke graphic represent some obscuration effect in the game?

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 4/23/2006 8:33:04 PM >

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 37
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/23/2006 9:36:33 PM   
Yoozername

http://home.comcast.net/~markconrad/10TD1941.html

Very interesting read considering the early time frame and Soviet perspective.

TECHNICAL REPORT FROM THE 10th TANK DIVISION, AUGUST 1941

[The original Russian transcript came to me from Mr. Charles Sharp. It is a report signed by the commander of the 10th Tank Division, dated 2 August 1941.)
\

The division’s soldiers and commanders spoke of their tanks as very reliable machines. But along with these qualities they had the following defects:

1) For the KV tanks:

a) Under the impact of shells and large-caliber bullets, the turret ring and armored cupolas can jam.

b) The diesel engine has little reserve power, resulting in it being overloaded and overheating.

c) The main and side clutches break down.

2. For the T-34:

a) Hull armor is penetrated at 300 to 400 meters by a 37-mm antitank round. Side armor is penetrated by a 20-mm antitank round. When crossing ditches the low set of the vehicle causes its nose to dig in, and traction with the ground is insufficient due to the relative smoothness of the tracks.

b) With a direct hit by a shell the driver’s front hatch collapses.

c) The vehicle’s treads are weak—any round takes them off.

d) The main and side clutches break down.

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 4/23/2006 10:51:06 PM >

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 38
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/25/2006 8:52:50 PM   
Yoozername

http://63.99.108.76/forums/index.php?showtopic=15850

Movies of a Panther, no exhaust at all

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 39
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/30/2006 3:15:38 AM   
Yoozername

Tiger moving in winter weather, no clouds of smoke behind it.

A side note is that these motors WERE invisable polluters for sure. In fact deadly in some cases. Lightly wounded loaded behind turret were sometimes gassed to death by carbon monoxide poisoning.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 40
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/30/2006 9:11:31 PM   
Yoozername

This shot of a t34 shows that it has some vulnerability to ricochets off the front armor. The turret has a shot trap and also vertical type surfaces. The turret ring area also seems vulnerable. The hatch is also vulnerable to edge effects and AP rounds could get under the lip or wreck the hinge area.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 41
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/30/2006 9:17:12 PM   
Yoozername

This earlier T34 also shows the same problems. The turret almost hangs over the front armor.

Was the hull hatch the only way for the driver/bow-gunner to get in the tank?

The gunshield, part that has a hole for coaxial MG, appears thin. Again, it appears that the shell trap under the gun is vulnerable.

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 4/30/2006 9:22:38 PM >

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 42
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 4/30/2006 9:34:14 PM   
Yoozername

This T34/85 has 'addressed' the problem with some deflectors. They might stop bullets but in actuality, when an AP round hits them, they act as a guide and will help the round 'stick'.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 43
RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. - 5/4/2006 7:32:03 PM   
Yoozername

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/4635/library/russian_tanks/evaluation_of_russians_tanks_at_aberdeen.htm

Aberdeen Evaluation

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm >> RE: Interesting T34 automotive facts.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI