Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my! - 3/25/2006 4:11:25 PM   
Irondanno

OK, I think my boy and I were playing wrong, but Im hoping some of you veterans can helps us out.

First, let me see if I have this straight. A stack of German counters, 2 MMC and 1 SMC, are in a hex. I'm trying to fire at those pesky Americans sneaking through the forest 3 hexes away. To do so, I must SPOT them first. The SMC makes a spot check and fails. The rules state that an Operations Complete counter is put top of the SMC. Here's where it falls apart for us...

1. Can now one of the MMC from the same stack also make a Spot check for those same pesky Americans?

2. If it succeeds, can the whole stack now fire on the spotted enemy, or only the MMC that is not under an Operations Complete ounter?

3. Can units under an Operations Complete marker FIRE at all? For example, in this instance all 3 units fail the spot check. Another German unit 4 hexes away actually takes the covers off thier binoculars and SPOTS the Americans. The sneaky Americans are now discovered and have a SPOTTED counter on them. Can the stack from the first example, (2 MMC and 1 SMC), who are under an Operations Complete marker then FIRE at the spotted Americans?

4. The rules states that Spotting checks do not use an impulse. What exactly does this mean? Can I spot anytime? Even on my opponents turn? (Not sure why you would do this, but just for arguements sake...)

5. Machine guns and bazookas. We were playing that either a MMC, SMC, leader or hero had to 'man' one of these, thus sacrificing the coutners FirePower to use the weapon. I believe I read in here that that is incorrect and in fact weapon counters already have a 'crew' or 'user' and fire all by themselves. Is this correct?

Also, several of the battle cards state the Germans get an 81mm Mortar, but no Counter for this weapon was included in our game. The counters were falling off the sheets when we opened it, so I don't know if there was a missing counter in the punchsheets. Is this a typo? If not, can someone at least post the stats so we can make our own. Or, is there a place you can at least download this?

Thanks for you input!

Dan
Post #: 1
RE: Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my! - 3/27/2006 4:48:26 AM   
stanguay

Hi Dan !

quote:

ORIGINAL: Irondanno
A stack of German counters, 2 MMC and 1 SMC, are in a hex. I'm trying to fire at those pesky Americans sneaking through the forest 3 hexes away. To do so, I must SPOT them first.

Assuming they are not currently moving or are not covered with a move, fire or assault move marker, you indeed do have to spot them.

quote:

The SMC makes a spot check and fails. The rules state that an Operations Complete counter is put top of the SMC. Here's where it falls apart for us...

1. Can now one of the MMC from the same stack also make a Spot check for those same pesky Americans?

Not in this impulse. You can only attempt to spot once per impulse.

quote:

2. If it succeeds, can the whole stack now fire on the spotted enemy, or only the MMC that is not under an Operations Complete ounter?

See above. But assuming you're leader was successfull, everybody could fire at the spotted hex, including the leader (by giving his bonus to the attack). All units in the same hex as a successful spotting unit can fire with their full FP at the just spotted hex, along with the spotting unit. Note that in the case of multiple attacking units, 5.2 apply as well.

quote:

3. Can units under an Operations Complete marker FIRE at all? For example, in this instance all 3 units fail the spot check. Another German unit 4 hexes away actually takes the covers off thier binoculars and SPOTS the Americans. The sneaky Americans are now discovered and have a SPOTTED counter on them. Can the stack from the first example, (2 MMC and 1 SMC), who are under an Operations Complete marker then FIRE at the spotted Americans?

They can do so only if the Americans move, meaning they can only opportunity fire.

quote:

4. The rules states that Spotting checks do not use an impulse. What exactly does this mean? Can I spot anytime? Even on my opponents turn? (Not sure why you would do this, but just for arguements sake...)

No, it means you can spot with one unit then activate others units in the same hex or a different one. Also, if the only thing you do in an impulse is spotting, it amounts to passing for this impulse.

quote:

5. Machine guns and bazookas. We were playing that either a MMC, SMC, leader or hero had to 'man' one of these, thus sacrificing the coutners FirePower to use the weapon. I believe I read in here that that is incorrect and in fact weapon counters already have a 'crew' or 'user' and fire all by themselves. Is this correct?

It is indeed incorrect but not for the reason you believe. MG and bazookas are support weapons and, as such, fall under 1.6.1 and use the Support Weapon Portage and Usage Table, on your player reference card. Weapons teamns counter, OTOH, do represent a weapon and his crew. See 1.6 and 1.6.3

quote:

Also, several of the battle cards state the Germans get an 81mm Mortar, but no Counter for this weapon was included in our game. The counters were falling off the sheets when we opened it, so I don't know if there was a missing counter in the punchsheets. Is this a typo? If not, can someone at least post the stats so we can make our own. Or, is there a place you can at least download this?

Generally speaking, the German 81mm Mortar Weapon Team called for in the setup should be replaced by the 50mm Mortar Weapon Team.

(in reply to Irondanno)
Post #: 2
RE: Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my! - 3/27/2006 5:39:25 AM   
Irondanno

Thank you so much! I think we are all set. In fact, we did find some of these answers by going over the rulebook more carefully.

One more question...

When Spotting, does the whole stack of units spot check at once, or can each individual counter try and Spot the enemy? For example, 2 MMC and a SMC are in a stack. Can the SMC try and Spot, if it fails be placed under an Ops Complete marker, then next turn, have one of the MMCs try and Spot, also go under the Ops Complete marker, and so on.

Or.. Does the STACK as a whole make the spotting check and get placed under an Ops Complete marker?

Thanks!

< Message edited by Irondanno -- 3/27/2006 5:40:35 AM >

(in reply to Irondanno)
Post #: 3
RE: Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my! - 3/27/2006 6:10:07 PM   
Hannes

quote:

When Spotting, does the whole stack of units spot check at once, or can each individual counter try and Spot the enemy? For example, 2 MMC and a SMC are in a stack. Can the SMC try and Spot, if it fails be placed under an Ops Complete marker, then next turn, have one of the MMCs try and Spot, also go under the Ops Complete marker, and so on.

Correct.

Just keep in mind - if your only action within an impulse is an Spotting Attempt, it is like "Passing".

(in reply to Irondanno)
Post #: 4
RE: Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my! - 3/28/2006 5:58:40 AM   
stanguay

Trying to spot is done on a unit basis, not a stack basis.

(in reply to Hannes)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Spotting, Operational Counters and Bears, oh my! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI