Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 8:03:38 AM   
JAMiAM

With the release of TOAW 3 just a few weeks away, we thought we'd take the opportunity to whet your appetite for the Matrix Games edition of this classic game. We'll start with one of the new advanced game options that will be available, the "No Borders" option.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 8:39:31 AM   
JAMiAM

This feature will add an additional layer to the "Fog of War". There are many scenarios that will benefit from this option. For example, those dealing with early 20th century warfare, fast-paced desert battles, and guerrilla-intensive scenarios, where an enforceable means of limited battlefield intelligence is called for. In earlier versions of TOAW, players had the option of toggling the hex supply display, borders, and hex possession icons off. However, this combination of options was chosen from the control panel or menu, and left something to be desired. First off, the owning player was then completely unaware of whether his own forces would be able to trace supply, and would not know until after the following ABP, by which time they would already be tagged unsupplied. Further, it was unenforceable. A less than honorable opponent could easily turn back on borders and supply for his turn and surreptitiously gain an advantage. This unenforceability led to many players choosing to eschew a designer's recommendations of playing without visible borders, simply to ensure that the game was on the level.

Obviously, not all scenarios should be played with this option on, and not all players will find the lack of information to their liking. However, it is ideal for those players who want an additional level of challenge in the game, both against the Programmed Opponent (PO), as well as against other human players. In solo games, it will be able to be toggled on and off at will, but for PBEM games, once set, it is in effect for the entire game.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 2
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 9:31:19 AM   
JAMiAM

What does choosing the option do? I'm glad you asked...

From the revised manual and help files:

quote:

No Borders: You can only see the borders and supply rate for hexes that your forces are adjacent to, or have occupied this turn. This is an additional means of increasing the fog of war.

Here's a screenshot of it activated. The upload limits here require that I can only show a small portion of the map...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 12:45:08 PM   
Lava

Hi!

Could you clear up something here for me...

Does this mean that if enemy forces move into your territory you won't be able to "see" them (as in the frontier line moving) unless a unit is within recon distance?

Does it also mean that you won't be able to tell if a railroad hex has been destroyed unless one of your units actually moves through the area?

Thanks for the update BTW. Keep them coming!

Ray (alias Lava)

< Message edited by Lava -- 3/21/2006 1:23:55 PM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 3:21:36 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

Does this mean that if enemy forces move into your territory you won't be able to "see" them (as in the frontier line moving) unless a unit is within recon distance?

From the looks of things, unless the hex is 'observed' or 'spotted'. In short you won't be able to tell the unit is there unless you can physically see the icon on the map.

quote:

Does it also mean that you won't be able to tell if a railroad hex has been destroyed unless one of your units actually moves through the area?

I doubt that broken rail would be invisible. But that's fair enough since cutting a rail line is a dead giveaway (unless you're a guerrilla unit and don't change hex ownership anyway).

Anyway, good start. An optional addition which adds extra functionality (the ability to check your supply situation in such scenarios). The next step is to have this option set per force using events....

"Event 902: Bob Cross slays dragons!"

http://www.savemstateathletics.com/tdg/

(in reply to Lava)
Post #: 5
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 4:53:57 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
Anyway, good start. An optional addition which adds extra functionality (the ability to check your supply situation in such scenarios).

I'm not sure what you mean here? The supply and borders options are still available, hoever, they only apply to hexes which are adjacent to your units. If you look at the screenshot, the supplied hexes and the level of supply in them are clearly visible.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 6
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 5:33:09 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

I'm not sure what you mean here? The supply and borders options are still available, hoever, they only apply to hexes which are adjacent to your units. If you look at the screenshot, the supplied hexes and the level of supply in them are clearly visible.

Sorry, I was just saying what I liked about the new feature. There's a suspicion that a great many of the changes being made to the game involve just securing against foul play. This change does that- but it also adds extra functionality on top of it.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 7
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 7:17:28 PM   
Lava

quote:

This change does that- but it also adds extra functionality on top of it.

That's what it seems like to me.. and I like it.

Ray (alias Lava)

Post #: 8
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 8:37:55 PM   
DBeves

Oh dear...
I see those rivers are still IN the hexes.
I know some people say it doesnt matter but sorry it means all kinds of movement anomolies that killed the original for me.
So thats not changed then ?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 9
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 8:42:30 PM   
DBeves

Oh and another thing - I seem to remember in the original game that supply tracing was un-affected by terrain.
Is this still the case ?
What this meant was that you could just as easily trace supply through a 6ft deep swamp as you could through a 4 lane highway.
I apologise if I'm thinking of another game but Im sure it was this one. Another little thing that stopped me playing. here was so much to like about this game was kind of hoping Matrix would be changing these issues.

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 10
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 9:02:14 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: DBeves

Changing this outright would mean every single existing scenario would have to be rewritten.

quote:

What this meant was that you could just as easily trace supply through a 6ft deep swamp as you could through a 4 lane highway.
I apologise if I'm thinking of another game but Im sure it was this one.

You must have been thinking of another game. Supply trace is heavily affected by terrain in TOAW and always has been.

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 11
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/21/2006 11:40:05 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

Hey, I'm a recent Born-Again TOAW player.....and I've forgotten what the supply numbers mean...

Say I have a unit at 50% supply, and it's sittin' on a hex that shows supply of "25"....does that mean the next turn the unit will be at 75% supply? What's the adjacent HQ bonus?

Thanks,

ChadG

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 12
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/22/2006 1:39:21 AM   
DBeves

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DBeves

Changing this outright would mean every single existing scenario would have to be rewritten.

quote:

I apologise if I'm thinking of another game but Im sure it was this one.

You must have been thinking of another game. Supply trace is heavily affected by terrain in TOAW and always has been.

Ok - I guess I will have to take your word for it - would have thought terrain was a game engine thing not a specific scenario thing but hey....maybe the terrains in the scenario files although would't have thought it impossible to write some conversion thing - I guess they are going to charge us full price for this thing ?

Oh well must be wrong about that one then - what game was it now ......

Post #: 13
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/22/2006 3:42:40 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

Say I have a unit at 50% supply, and it's sittin' on a hex that shows supply of "25"....does that mean the next turn the unit will be at 75% supply?

The base level of supply gained is the number you see (25) multiplied by the formation supply level.

quote:

What's the adjacent HQ bonus?

A co-operative HQ boosts supply gain by 50%. So sayeth the (deeply flawed) manual.

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 14
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/22/2006 8:03:40 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

The base level of supply gained is the number you see (25) multiplied by the formation supply level.

OK, so where can you find the "formation supply level"?

Am I correct in guessing the scenario designer sets that attribute and it's invisible to the player?

Post #: 15
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/22/2006 8:59:20 AM   
panzerpelle

Take a look at the formation profiency and you have the number for the formation supply level.

Post #: 16
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/22/2006 9:04:34 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

quote:

OK, so where can you find the "formation supply level"?

Am I correct in guessing the scenario designer sets that attribute and it's invisible to the player?

The formation supply level is nominally set in the force editor. It will drop from the nominal, if the designer has used support squads in the formation's HQ(s), and some of them have been lost. Otherwise, it remains constant, if no support squads are used in the formation's HQ's. As a player, you can see this percentage, by looking at the unit's formation report. It is the "supply" number in the upper right. In the example below, the formation supply level is 65%.

The supply received by the unit is equal to the [map value*fsl*(2/3)], before any modifiers for adjacent cooperative HQ's or supply units. The (2/3) multiplier is, unfortunately, undocumented in the manuals of earlier versions of TOAW.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/22/2006 10:11:07 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

Thanks JAM and Golden D.

Now onto Feature Preview #2!

< Message edited by Juggalo -- 3/23/2006 11:36:09 PM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 18
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/23/2006 11:37:00 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

Sorry, one more question about supply then I swear I'll shut-up forever on the subject....

What do the full yellow circles and half blue, half yellow circles signify?

Thanks again,
ChadG

Post #: 19
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/23/2006 11:58:25 PM   
benpark

I think a few of us are lapsed CoW players here, so the changes don't have the impact that some of the fanatics are maybe seeing. The changes seem fairly subtle so far. If you have something big in the list of changes, pull it out of the hat.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

Post #: 20
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/24/2006 3:51:27 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

I think a few of us are lapsed CoW players here, so the changes don't have the impact that some of the fanatics are maybe seeing. The changes seem fairly subtle so far.

No... the changes are pretty subtle so far. In fact, my understanding is that this is going to be the mode for Matrix's first release. The key point is the prospect of ongoing support for the product.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 21
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/24/2006 4:39:12 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

I think a few of us are lapsed CoW players here, so the changes don't have the impact that some of the fanatics are maybe seeing. The changes seem fairly subtle so far.

No... the changes are pretty subtle so far. In fact, my understanding is that this is going to be the mode for Matrix's first release. The key point is the prospect of ongoing support for the product.

That was the original intent anyway. To my mind, the major change (the one I spent the most time on, anyway) was in updating the AI, Elmer. You probably won't find the AI talked about much in the forums. Right now, the forums are almost exclusively PBEM.

The last Elmer was pretty seriously broken. Norm was aware of some of the problems, but didn't have time to fix them before shipping, since they would have broken several scenario's balance. Since this is a 'new' product, I felt free to fix the bugs, and add some improvements of my own.

I don't know exactly how well Elmer can play now, especially if people start designing for Elmer. I know that I've played Korea against the new Elmer, and it feels a lot different now. My memory of playing with the COW version was that it was a cakewalk, right now, I've almost been kicked off of the mainland entirely. Ive got a toehold on Pusan, and control a strip of the south.

Arracourt as the Germans is tough. You can get a draw easily, or moderate victory with a little luck, but a decisive victory isn't nearly as easy as it was in COW.

I'm also a 'casual' player, not a 'veteran' TOAW player, so I've added some little things to TOAW for beginners. For example, if your cursor is over an enemy unit, it will show the name, if spotted, like it used to. But if it isn't spotted, it will now show the unit type instead of 'unknown.' That's for people like me that don't have memorized the symbole for 'Motorcycle recon', etc. I've also 'borrowed' some hotkeys from other games. The veterans won't notice most of these changes, but the casual users will.

Post #: 22
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/24/2006 6:29:07 PM   
Lava

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
To my mind, the major change (the one I spent the most time on, anyway) was in updating the AI, Elmer.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be grateful for your work.

Thanks,

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 23
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 - 3/24/2006 10:24:06 PM   
benpark

Thanks for the information. Improved AI will be enough to get me to repurchase the new and improved version.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Lava)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI