Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tax Time

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Tax Time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tax Time - 2/1/2006 10:36:03 AM   
rhondabrwn

Yahoo... got about $675 coming back. Time for a new computer.

Filed electronically, of course, and expect the refunds to hit my bank account within 10 days or less.

BTW... if you are relatively poor, you can file free with TurboTax Web Version if your adjusted gross income is under $20,000. They hide it pretty good though... you need to search for "Tax Freedom Project" which will take you to:

Tax Freedom Project

My kids and I used this service for the past few years while in school. Alas, I'm over the threshold this year for the freebie.

Any happy news or IRS tragedies to share?

What games are you going to buy with YOUR refund?

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Post #: 1
RE: Tax Time - 2/1/2006 12:46:33 PM   
Raverdave

What a strange time of year to do your tax return......normal convention would have you do it at the end of the financial year rather than half way through it.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 2
RE: Tax Time - 2/1/2006 4:26:45 PM   
sprior

quote:

What games are you going to buy with YOUR refund?

No games but the Sharpe series is being re-released in a boxed set this month. As the wife thinks Sean Bean is cute I might be able to get it as a marital aid. (Can I say that on these boards?).

I have GMT's Burning Blue on pre-order and MMP's Devils cauldron so I suppose you could say I'm buying them with my tax refund.

Also want a sub to The Cricketer magazine.

Other than that, nothing really.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 3
RE: Tax Time - 2/2/2006 10:40:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Look. If we are going to have a taxpayer revolt, you guys need to stop expressing satisfaction that the the IRS deigned to give back some of your money which they had expropriated from you under the threat of imprisonment earlier in the year.

Ask them for interest on the use of your money for up to 12 months...see how far that gets you. This is also fun...spit on the envelope when you get it (not the part you have to open), then when you endorse the check, write something clever like "Infernal Revneue Service"...they love that. Don't write anything threatening though, or some men in a car with an "E" plate may visit you at home.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 4
RE: Tax Time - 2/3/2006 2:14:41 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

What a strange time of year to do your tax return......normal convention would have you do it at the end of the financial year rather than half way through it.

Agreed,

1st Quarter: October 01 2005 - December 31 2005
2nd Quarter: January 01 2006 - March 31 2006
3rd Quarter: April 01 2006 - June 30 2006
4th Quarter: July 01 2006 - September 30 2006

Nothing worse then paying Accounting for two diffrent year end reports. However a new company or business has to decide at the beginning on which month their fiscal year will start.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 5
RE: Tax Time - 2/3/2006 3:21:46 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Look. If we are going to have a taxpayer revolt, you guys need to stop expressing satisfaction that the the IRS deigned to give back some of your money which they had expropriated from you under the threat of imprisonment earlier in the year.

Ask them for interest on the use of your money for up to 12 months...see how far that gets you. This is also fun...spit on the envelope when you get it (not the part you have to open), then when you endorse the check, write something clever like "Infernal Revneue Service"...they love that. Don't write anything threatening though, or some men in a car with an "E" plate may visit you at home.

I just get to pay taxes here, I'm not allowed to vote. Taxation without representation? Hmmm, haven't I heard that before?

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 6
RE: Tax Time - 2/4/2006 3:10:22 AM   
rogueusmc

What did you do that you can't vote?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7
RE: Tax Time - 2/4/2006 3:59:38 AM   
Sarge

I take it sprior is not a Citizen ,at least I hope thats why

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 8
RE: Tax Time - 2/4/2006 4:36:18 AM   
rogueusmc

me too

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: Tax Time - 2/4/2006 8:21:37 AM   
Raverdave

quote:

I just get to pay taxes here, I'm not allowed to vote. Taxation without representation? Hmmm, haven't I heard that before?

Eureka Stockade.....that was one of the main contributing factors to the revolt........oh yeah, and that "little" revolt that you yanks had back in the 1700's

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 10
RE: Tax Time - 2/4/2006 10:44:56 AM   
Charles_22

I don't get refunds (or I get them every month anyway. Wouldn't you want $55 more a month instead of giving the government a free loan of $675 as you do? I pay between $200-300 every year and up till that time I'm not only making more (it evens out afterall) per month but I'm also able to draw interest off of it (such that the government is almost giving me a loan, in a sense). I used to do it the way you speak of it, but doing the math I saw how I got ripped off that way. All getting a large sum in one lump does, or so it seems, is feed the mentality that it is some sort of weird bonus, when in fact it's just filing the W2 badly. Doing this, of course, often just leads people into blowing it as though it's some sort of gift anyway. Having to pay some back at the end of the year, little as my totals may be, does quite the opposite, as it encourages thrift.

I'm not sure my employer would allow me to claim such a high dependant on the W-2 but I have heard of people that paid no tax and at the end of the year paid the entire amount (now that encourages ultimate thrift). I could actually pull this off pretty easily if my finances continue to hold up as usual, but as I say I'm betting my employer won't allow it. Sure would make for some swelled paychecks and extra interest!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 11
RE: Tax Time - 2/4/2006 6:03:53 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

I take it sprior is not a Citizen ,at least I hope thats why

Correct. I'm a Brit, my wife (who is a Yank) made me live here. Mostly enjoying it though I hasten to add!

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 12
RE: Tax Time - 2/4/2006 8:40:34 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

I don't get refunds (or I get them every month anyway. Wouldn't you want $55 more a month instead of giving the government a free loan of $675 as you do? I pay between $200-300 every year and up till that time I'm not only making more (it evens out afterall) per month but I'm also able to draw interest off of it (such that the government is almost giving me a loan, in a sense). I used to do it the way you speak of it, but doing the math I saw how I got ripped off that way. All getting a large sum in one lump does, or so it seems, is feed the mentality that it is some sort of weird bonus, when in fact it's just filing the W2 badly. Doing this, of course, often just leads people into blowing it as though it's some sort of gift anyway. Having to pay some back at the end of the year, little as my totals may be, does quite the opposite, as it encourages thrift.

I'm not sure my employer would allow me to claim such a high dependant on the W-2 but I have heard of people that paid no tax and at the end of the year paid the entire amount (now that encourages ultimate thrift). I could actually pull this off pretty easily if my finances continue to hold up as usual, but as I say I'm betting my employer won't allow it. Sure would make for some swelled paychecks and extra interest!

Absolutely true.

This was the first year since my divorce that I wasn't a poor student collecting the Earned Income Credit for my kids. I had no tax withheld and then collected a $4,000 refund from the EIC for being part of the "working poor". Of course, now I am facing the real world for the first time in a few years. This time the witholding through my school district is quite painful and I wasn't even sure if I wouldn't be paying this year due to part of the year being in a student job at IU and half as a teacher. I'm happy to have the refund!

I'll probably consider adding a phantom dependent on a W-4 to reduce withholding (my kids are all grown and on their own as of last year).

Anyway, good advice!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Charles_22)
Post #: 13
RE: Tax Time - 2/5/2006 8:43:55 AM   
Charles_22

Thanks. Actually if all things will be equal, you would probably get more than $55 a month back, but I just divided your $675 by 12. Everything being the same, you would probably get more like $65 back, but whether that would be all gross or not I can only guess. you would think it would be all take home though. I never did do the precise numbers on mine, I just knew I preferred paying at the end of the year instead. The funny thing too, if you did it the way I used to (no, I'm not going to let the government see my computer and do it that way) you end up waiting another 5 years for the check to get back to you. And then there's that nasty business where the banks don't seem to want to cash them, even for such a small amount as I was getting back.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 14
RE: Tax Time - 2/6/2006 6:18:36 AM   
Zap

Tax time for me is always a good experience. I get something back each year. Actually, I view it like the commercial (USA) I get to "stick it to the man" I am the man (so i'm sticking it to myself) its my own money!!!

< Message edited by Zap -- 2/6/2006 6:23:48 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 15
RE: Tax Time - 2/6/2006 6:25:11 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

Thanks. Actually if all things will be equal, you would probably get more than $55 a month back, but I just divided your $675 by 12. Everything being the same, you would probably get more like $65 back, but whether that would be all gross or not I can only guess. you would think it would be all take home though. I never did do the precise numbers on mine, I just knew I preferred paying at the end of the year instead. The funny thing too, if you did it the way I used to (no, I'm not going to let the government see my computer and do it that way) you end up waiting another 5 years for the check to get back to you. And then there's that nasty business where the banks don't seem to want to cash them, even for such a small amount as I was getting back.

Actually, since I split the year between a partime student job at Indiana University and then just 5 months at my full teacher salary here in Arizoa, I expect I would get much more back next year, especially since I had no withholding at all back in Indiana. So, I should decrease my witholding.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Charles_22)
Post #: 16
RE: Tax Time - 2/9/2006 5:59:04 AM   
Zodiac

Unfortunately, most of my expected $600 refund will be spent on my girlfriend. Can we all say "whipped!"

"He who makes a beast of himself relieves himself the pain of being a man. "
Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 17
RE: Tax Time - 2/11/2006 1:19:35 AM   
KG Erwin

Well, we are getting a hefty refund from the IRS, but the irony is that I will owe the state of West Virginia $20. It just so happens that I work for the WV State Tax Dept.

Out of the Federal refund, I'm gonna splurge for a Home-Theater System. I've wanted one for years, so I can watch my DVDs and enjoy full 5.1 digital surround.

Apart from my war-movie collection, I'm anxious to watch my rock concert collection in full aural glory. The Stones! Led Zeppelin! Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band! Yeah!

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/11/2006 1:22:59 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Tax Time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll