Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

We're still alive!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> We're still alive! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 3:42:20 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

We're still alive. Some of you are a little concerned at the lack of updates?
I mentioned in the last update (last year some time) that I WILL NOT update you again until there is simething worth your time. There were some rumblings about how redundant the updates were (AND they were) so ... I stopped the redundancy.

We are deep into debugging the PBEM game and I have more testers than I can handle so when you don't hear from me, it's because I'm battling evil in another dimension :-)

Don't worry, we're still here!

No, I don't have a release date but will update you guys WHEN I something worth your time!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 1
RE: We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 4:17:58 PM   
Camile Desmoulins

Hello Marshall

I celebrate to have your news again

Can you give us a small hint about the release dates?

Thanks

Camille

"Scis vincere, nescis uti victoria" (Maharbal)

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 2
RE: We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 4:46:56 PM   
eg0master

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis
[...]
No, I don't have a release date but will update you guys WHEN I something worth your time!

RTFM (or rather RTFP) Camile!

< Message edited by eg0master -- 1/19/2006 4:47:03 PM >

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

Post #: 3
RE: We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 5:07:10 PM   
Camile Desmoulins

quote:

ORIGINAL: eg0master

quote:

[...]

RTFM (or rather RTFP) Camile!

ask on a date something negative or forbidden?. I only want to know if we speak of one month or one year.

I think that we are a little susceptible

Camille

"Scis vincere, nescis uti victoria" (Maharbal)

(in reply to eg0master)
Post #: 4
RE: We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 6:00:16 PM   
McGuire

Hello Marshal!

I could understand you saying:

quote:

I mentioned in the last update (last year some time) that I WILL NOT update you again until there is simething worth your time.

But I must admit I'm still happy to read some "news" from you!

THX!

There are only 10 types of people in the world!
Those who can read binary - and those who don't!

Post #: 5
RE: We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 6:38:39 PM   
Hanal

Being alive is a good thing.......

(in reply to McGuire)
Post #: 6
RE: We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 9:12:25 PM   
Ursa MAior

Thank God! I look forward very much! I heard from people whose judgement I trust that CoG is too deep in economics. I'd like to play Berthier not a d***ned bank maanger! Hardly can wait till your next update!

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 7
RE: We're still alive! - 1/19/2006 10:47:12 PM   
Hoche

The reason people didn't like the redundant updates was that they wanted to hear something new. But no updates make people fear that the project as been cancelled. So imo redundant updates are better than no updates.

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 8
RE: We're still alive! - 1/20/2006 8:20:11 AM   
eg0master

quote:

ORIGINAL: Camile Desmoulins
[...]
ask on a date something negative or forbidden?. I only want to know if we speak of one month or one year.
[...]

If you have been reading this board for a while you are well aware of the fact that I have asked the same question in the past (and we even got a time frame which we have well passed now), but never in response to a post like this. I think it is pretty obvious from Ellis' post that he does not have an estimate at this time or at least is not willing to give it to us. hence my reaction.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

(in reply to Camile Desmoulins)
Post #: 9
RE: We're still alive! - 1/20/2006 3:54:00 PM   
TexHorns

You are sooooo missing a great game. After all the posts on the COG site and you still don't get it. COG can be as involved or uninvolved as you desire to make it. What a shame. YOu sit here and wait for something that may never come, when a thing of beauty is already waiting for you.

We're gonna dance with who brung us.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 10
RE: We're still alive! - 1/20/2006 7:07:18 PM   
McGuire

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexHorns
You are sooooo missing a great game. After all the posts on the COG site and you still don't get it. COG can be as involved or uninvolved as you desire to make it. What a shame. YOu sit here and wait for something that may never come, when a thing of beauty is already waiting for you.

Did you ever play the boardgame EiA?
I guess not! Because if you would you wouldn't even dare to compare EiA with something like CoG.

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 11
RE: We're still alive! - 1/20/2006 9:26:54 PM   
Ursa MAior

1. Well Tex to be honest I dont really trust hte AI, none of them. Neither my economics advisor nor the one playing the opponents.
2. Being a very competitive person, I'd probably play it mostly online and seeing all the problems with the MP I'd rather dont invest my sixty something hard earned bucks and my more precious time in it (in my country I can live with my family from that money for a week! Not too well but food and stuff are covered. Not complaining just for the record.)
3. The scope of the game (or you can call it design features) disturbs me a lot. It is complete nonsense to see multiple hundreds of soldiers on each side in many battles.
4. Detailed battles look great (it must be interesting to play them too), but the problems with the supply caissons or the micromanagement of the OOB to prevent them is something too much for me.

I willingly accept that CURRENTLY it is the best napoleonics game on the market, but it does not look like the game for me. Too detailed and too much economics for my taste. I know you can switch it off, but the opponent(s) will do it probably themselves (and do it much better than the AI) and as we know "For wars you need, money, money, money."

I can wait a bit longer. If God forbid cEiA does not see the light I still can crank out the money and the time needed for CoG, coz I won't be left without a good game of ol' Boney.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to McGuire)
Post #: 12
RE: We're still alive! - 1/21/2006 12:13:37 AM   
anarchyintheuk

Having played the board version of EiA, I'm still more interested in it than CoG. However, I like CoG a lot even after my first experience of playing it. Played Prussia and was continually attacked by Turkey. It's just not one of those things you think you have to plan for.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 13
RE: We're still alive! - 1/21/2006 1:28:48 AM   
ASHBERY76

Will it beat DukeNukem for the release?

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 14
RE: We're still alive! - 1/21/2006 1:37:47 AM   
Pippin

LOL, I was waiting for the Duke Nukem Forever release comment... Last I heard they were still trying to port it to the Atari 28800 :P

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 15
RE: We're still alive! - 1/21/2006 7:03:10 AM   
TexHorns

Ursa and McGuire,

I own EIA and about another 150 board wargames that I have played for about 25 years now. I don't count myself as a EIA fanatic or a Napoleonic afficiando. American War Between the States and WW2 are more my area. But I own 4 of COA La Battaile series games as well as several other operational and strategic level games of that era, so my interests are diverse.

For the record I would much rather sit down at a table and play a board game vs a live opponent than sit in front of a computer screen and play an AI or an invisible opponent somewhere in cyber land. Multiplayer anything online has not ever been very staisfying to me. PBEM is very slow. And unfortunatley the realities of adulthood prevent much ftf gaming except vs my 11 and 10 yo sons. So, for me, COG meets my war gaming needs, bottom line.

As for EIA computer version, how many years have you guys been waiting on this? Five or more? I'm not saying that COG is better than EIA because not I nor anyone else that isn't a beta tester has ever played EIA computer game. Wait....I guess I am saying that right now COG is better because it exists and can actually be played by the general public. If and when EIA ever makes it to the computer it may blow COG away. But then again it may not. Either way it will be a matter of subjective opinion. In fact in my opinion Marshall is in a no win situation because of all the EIA "experts" all think they know the best way the computer game should be developed and Marshall will never be able to make that opinionated crowd happy.

But while you all sit here and pine away for something that may never come, you all are missing having a load of fun with a strategic napoleonic game that actuallly currently exists. It's no skin off my nose if you continue to sit here like old maids waiting for your prince charming that never comes. I just thought I'd nudge you a little so you might actually have some fun playing a napoleonic game instead of spending your time asking what year EIA will actually see public distribution.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 16
RE: We're still alive! - 1/21/2006 4:42:09 PM   
YohanTM2

I enjoy CoG but don't beleive it is ready for prime tiem yet. We had a great PBEM game going, more than a turn a day average with 4 players! We had to quit, just too many issues.

I certainly hope they get it working properly but it is EiA that I am some of my local friends await. We can no longer get together for table top play, darn it all to families and jobs, so look forward to PBEM of EiA. We will wait for it to be done right, however long and painful that might be.

Rob

P.S. And when WiF comes out...YES!

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 17
RE: We're still alive! - 1/21/2006 7:36:19 PM   
1LTRambo

I was introduced to CoG through this forum, went to their forum, and eventually purchased the game. Very addictive and challenging. There are some problems that I have noticed in my game play and some things that I would like to change, but the game is very cool as it stands. So you may want to get it and suprise yourself at how much fun it is. I am playing version 1.2.18 which has fixed many of the bugs that I would read on their forum and has made my experience worth wile.

I also agree with TexHorns in that CEiA has not been released yet and CoG has many of the same elements and more. My favorite part is the detailed battles. There I get to use my tactical skills to crush the enemy. I just wish they would have the scale as regiments instead of divisions. It would allow for more realistic scale battles while maintaining the same minitures or icons in the game. More icons but fewer men. As for the economics, you have to manage your money in EiA, CoG just allows for more options and changes that can make your armies better in the manner in which you choose.

Hey Marshall, thanks for the post. Even though you believe the posts have been redundant in the past, it is information. Redundant information is better than no information. Please continue with monthly updates, even if you only tell us that your team fixed one bug. That is still better than nothing, and lets us know the game is still coming. Thanks alot.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 18
RE: We're still alive! - 1/22/2006 2:09:07 AM   
JimMerson

Hey Boys...

I just realized Mashall Ellis is only three hours away from me. Just give me tha word and I can go rough him up a bit...

Thanks for the good word Marshall.

Jim Merson

Post #: 19
RE: We're still alive! - 1/22/2006 7:46:03 AM   
kc_chiefs

I never doubted that this game is still in development. I go by the motto that no news is good news.

Matrix would tell us right away if this project was canned.

Thus unless Matrix says something then the game is still alive.

Looking forward to as much of a bug-free release as possible. Thus take your time. I still have an entire line of games to play for now.

Bill Peters

Post #: 20
RE: We're still alive! - 1/22/2006 5:54:51 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

Appreciate the support!

BTW: If you want to rough me up a bit, It'll be tough since I've never slept in the same place/cave since this project began for security reasons :-)

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to kc_chiefs)
Post #: 21
RE: We're still alive! - 1/22/2006 9:30:48 PM   
McGuire

quote:

I own EIA and about another 150 board wargames that I have played for about 25 years now.

WOW, that beats my experiences by far! I played like 2 or 3 dozens different wargames (not all board games). But the reason why I'm an EiA-fan is quiet simple! The game is simply broken down to the really important things. Means: No micro-management.

quote:

For the record I would much rather sit down at a table and play a board game vs a live opponent than sit in front of a computer screen and play an AI or an invisible opponent somewhere in cyber land.

Of course it's better to play in real life! But if that's not possible.....

quote:

Wait....I guess I am saying that right now COG is better because it exists and can actually be played by the general public.

Yeah right:
The folks are down on the floor and you still step on em!

quote:

In fact in my opinion Marshall is in a no win situation because of all the EIA "experts" all think they know the best way the computer game should be developed and Marshall will never be able to make that opinionated crowd happy.

Well, I don't think so! Although I never met him, I think the game will be the best he could make it! Maybe there will be some points I don't like. But hey! It'll be a great game anyways!

And by the way!
Just because I'm hungering to play EiA on my PC, doesn't mean I'm not playing anything else (including CoG)!
We all know:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 22
RE: We're still alive! - 1/22/2006 9:51:47 PM   
TexHorns

I truly beleive Marshall is doing the best he can. I just wonder if the EIA fanatics are more a help or a hinderance. I too will buy CEIA when it comes out, but I've stopped pineing away for it. COG is more than enough game to keep me distracted for a long time.

As to Marshall never staying in one spot, that would be too funny if there wasn't a hint of truth to it. Not that he really is. But the way the fanatics go after him on this forumn about rules, features, must haves etc, because by gosh they have played EIA for 100 years and only they know what is the best way to do things the EIA way, blah, blah, blah...it's no wonder the guy keeps a low profile now. It is also the reason that I stopped visiting this forumn on a reguler basis and only check in monthly.

I hope all the best to marshall, I just feel for the guy. Seems he is in a no win situation. And for now I play COG almost exclusivley. And those of you who aren't playing it because it's not EIA...too bad, your missing a great game.

(in reply to McGuire)
Post #: 23
RE: We're still alive! - 1/23/2006 10:48:34 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

I truly beleive Marshall is doing the best he can. I just wonder if the EIA fanatics are more a help or a hinderance.

Good point. I think we are both.

As of PC games based on the above I dont think I can justify for myself and for my wife (she is doing all the financial stuff ) purchasing two very similar games.

CoG
For me it's like Master of Orion II and 4X games upwards. It is fun to micromanage one or five planets, but is a pain in the a** to do it with 40! Since I have not seen any AI (for the time being) intelligent enough to manage anything except basic configuration of production or other facets of micromanagement, games which require lots of -sorry to say that- boring M M, fail to keep my interest for a long time.

I am a 'whatif' history fan, but I can live with armies retreating many provinces (say 200+ miles in one month) from a lost battle, if I dont have to watch the price of wool every 2 minutes. I accept that economical warfare is and was as much important as real military actions, but I am much more interested in milítary affairs than economical ones. I know that Nappy's demise was caused by as much of financial problmles as military one, but at the and it was the allied armies that drove him off Paris. Too much choice can be just as disturbing as too few (for me at least).

I can undesrtand your feelings when you dont understand what I dont understand, but since I have Battles of Napoleon and CoD2, I can spend my time till cEiA comes out.

Regards

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 24
RE: We're still alive! - 1/23/2006 3:43:12 PM   
TexHorns

Ursa,

Everybody has their favorite games. I see your point about purchasing two similar games. I'm not trying to force COG on anybody. MY only point is that for those people who are complaining about the wait, there is an alternative.

AS to your game related reasoning for not playing COG; I too dislike micro managment games, which is why I don't play RTS anymore. In my opinion COG is only a MM game if you choose to do so. I don't choose to do so. I "hire" a trade advisor and leave him alone to do his job. I set the initial development of each province and usually never adjust it unless I have a shortage. I spend 90% of my time fighting the campaigns. Others enjoy MMing every single detail of the economy every turn. Well COG allows them to do that. But the game system itself prevents total control because of how much goes on that you the player can't see or control. It is economic FOW. I like it that way. Napoleon and the other dictators could only control so much economically. Much was out of their control. That is why I set the economic parameters and then leave it alone. I have what ever resources I have and play the hand dealt me. That is just one guys opinion and preference for how to play.

Hope you get your CEiA soon.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 25
RE: We're still alive! - 1/23/2006 6:54:02 PM   
1LTRambo

quote:

In my opinion COG is only a MM game if you choose to do so. Others enjoy MMing every single detail of the economy every turn. Well COG allows them to do that. But the game system itself prevents total control because of how much goes on that you the player can't see or control. It is economic FOW. I like it that way. Napoleon and the other dictators could only control so much economically.

Ursa MAior
I agree with TexHorns that you can really get into the weeds with CoG if you want. I do and enjoy manipulating my economy to get the maximum benifit. One thing you have to understand is that in order to conduct war, you have to have the materials to support your efforts. In EiA you have to pay attention to money and manpower. In CoG, you have more factors such as Iron for artillery, textiles for infantry, and wood for ships, etc. This gives the game a much more realistic feel. I let the trade advisor do his thing and only monkey with it when I need specific items to achieve specific goals.
Again, I was skeptical about getting this game at first, but now I highly recommend it. It is worth the 10,000 forints or 41.50 Euros to purchase this game. Trust me, you will be very pleased you did.

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 26
RE: We're still alive! - 1/23/2006 11:11:19 PM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1LTRambo
It is worth the 10,000 forints or 41.50 Euros to purchase this game.

Nice homework Rambo! Hopefully we will use Euro soon (earliest 2010).

If we talk about my doubts about CoG let me sum them up.

1. Sizes of armies
2. Need to research technologies (for me a bit too RTS) and ahistorical
3. MP issues

I know sooner or later MP will be fixed, but 1&2 are design features, such "mistakes" -from my point of view- that finally got me off from Uncommon Valor which was a dream game of mine (cEia is another one).

You know here in Europe (I dont know too much about US cars) you can have a Ford Focus for something like 25% less than a Mazda 3, not to mention Fords are always on stock, but you have to wait for Mazda. Both cars are basically the same (mechanically) and very similar in appereance. Still some people buy Ford, some Mazda. After a VERY VERY LONG consideration I've decided to purchase the Mazda. I can wait till it is delivered.

Uff The Big Bear has spoken

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 27
RE: We're still alive! - 1/24/2006 1:35:08 AM   
1LTRambo

Sorry, my enthusiasm spilled over. I'm Waiting and longing for CEiA as well.
I'm sorry to hear that you won't buy the Ford though. Ford just announced big layoffs and the closing of several manufacturing plants to include one in Wixom, Michigan. This is all in an effort to be more competitive. It's rather sad because big business usually cuts payroll first, which only hurts the economy in the long run.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 28
RE: We're still alive! - 1/24/2006 1:36:24 AM   
1LTRambo

Boy did I get off subject on that one.

Just watched the news and that was on my mind.

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 29
RE: We're still alive! - 1/24/2006 9:44:34 AM   
Ursa MAior

Well everything has ups and downs, automotive industry also. I think the western culture (it is true for both USA and the EU) has come to a level of comfort, which hurts productivity.

But we are really off topic now.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> We're still alive! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI