Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Identifying With Your "virtual " Troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Identifying With Your "virtual " Troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Identifying With Your "virtual " Troops - 12/31/2005 6:15:05 AM   
KG Erwin

(also posted at the Depot)

After reading Leon Uris' classic fictionalized account of WWII Marines ("Battle Cry"), I don't have to feel any guilt for identifying with my "virtual" Marines.

Some of you guys look down upon we civilians who get wrapped up in this stuff, but I look at SPWaW as something more than just a game. There is also an element of role-playing, so in a campaign, one can develop an attachment towards certain units/leaders that are rapidly acquiring experence and get the job done.

In Uris' book, the battalion commander is quoted as saying he knows every man under his command, and looks out for them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, and yes, I DO watch out for my troops in-game. For a commander of Marines, it can be very rewarding, and very heartbreaking.

I have no difficulty in separating fantasy from reality, BUT, I really think that a good commander SHOULD care about his men, and know when to make the right choices when faced with either sacrificing them or acheiving a decisive victory in every battle.

I'm also saying that the way you fight your battles can lead to some realizations about yourself.

For me, personally, I'm learning more tactical tricks and becoming more appreciative of those leaders who could fight by instinct, rather than going "by the book".

Post #: 1
RE: Identifying With Your "virtual " Troops - 1/2/2006 6:26:38 PM   
Riun T

Happy new year ya old boot, Hey Gunny I personally get a chuckle out of ribbing u about this exact subject and have mentioned,pointed out,poked fun at but I hope u've never thought me insulting, and have nothing but respect for the fact that your zellousness for finding out as many of the true facts of the conflict, equipment and capableities of the MEAN GREEN MACHINE your beloved Marines, has allways been accurate,properly dated and concise. And eventhou I might berate some of your tactics or prefrence choices
Mines Off, spacing and deploy lines are another good one.
You've always keeped it a little humerous with a huge exuberantce for defending The corps, the Forums ,and any fellow poster with a ritious cause.
Keep it up gunny your a good soldier in my books. RT

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Identifying With Your "virtual " Troops - 1/2/2006 6:34:44 PM   
Wild Bill

Nothing more exciting than relating to your troops on the electronic battlefield. As a commander you should commend your men, grieve your losses and raise hell with them when they screw up.

In my study it is one after another whoop, holler, groan, cuss, fume, and shout match. I make more noise than the game.

Now that is fun. I even have my own battle music I play on my stereo in the background to keep me in the mood. They are themes from dozens of war movies. I have two full audio cassette tapes, and I have it playing as I play.

Not relating, not becoming a part of the game is a sad loss. If all the game becomes is a shooting gallery, you are missing a lot!

So, I concur. Identifying with your troops is leaving out a valuable part of the fun of the game.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Identifying With Your "virtual " Troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI