From: Combat Information Center
Yes, folks...you CAN run the game under Linux. It's easy to do, and doesn't hurt a bit!
Steps to complete to get SPWaW up and running on your Linux box:
1. Install Linux. This is the no-brainer step. I am using the SuSe 9.1 build version., but any of the others (Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, etc.) should be fine. Once you have an operational system, with Internet access, procede to Step 2.
2. Go to this link and download the latest release of WINE: http://www.winehq.com/ Install it; you now have a 'fake windows' folder. Go to Step 3.
3. Go to the Transgaming website here http://www.transgaming.com/ and download Cedega. You will have to subscribe to the Transgaming network in order to do this. Once Cedega is installed, go to Step 4.
4. Download or copy the SPWaW 8.2 Setup executable file to your home directory. Using the command "wine setup.exe", run the setup program. When the Installer program prompts for the install directory, browse and change it to the TransGaming_Drive folder. The path should then be something like file:/home/FlashfyreSP/TransGaming_Drive/Matrix Games/Steel Panthers World At War. Finish installing the game. Go to Step 5.
5. The Installer will not unZip the various ZipFiles included; you will have to manually navigate to the folders and un-archive them using Ark. These folders are: Campaigns, Enc, lbm, Maps, PIC, SCEN, SHP, and SND. On to Step 6.
6. Navigate to the Steel Panthers folder and locate the Mech.exe file; with the right mouse button, open the dialog box and click on the Open With.. and choose the Other selection. In the space, type cedega. Check the box for Remember application association for this type of file, and click OK.
If everything is ok, you should see the Steel Panthers Main Menu.
Addendum: If you have trouble with the Open With... command, do this:
Open your Home window and navigate to the TransGaming_Drive/Matrix Games/Steel Panthers World At War folder. Now, open a terminal box below the window (use the button for Terminal Emulator, which can be added to the toolbar). Type "cedega mech.exe" and hit the Enter key. This should start the game every time.