Why Bother? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War

linrom -> Why Bother? (3/23/2005 3:27:38 AM)

This game looks like it came straight from 1994, except it was then called "High Command". Why bother? I can't understand why these guys would waste their time on this when they've could re-engineered War In Russia using the SP game engine, which is what all fans of mega-strategic games have been waiting for.

Titan -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 4:16:14 AM)

Ummm, well i remember once when they first re-engineered black and white TV's,i think they put something like a multicoloured plastic cover over the screen to give it a more colour like resemblance,didnt really catch on from memory.I think the new tech has really made a difference now that it is made from the ground up.Ive played those games and dont really want to go back to high command again,u may have found it challenging so you could stick if you wish,no need for you to change.

gunnergoz -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 7:11:45 AM)

So you've played it and it sucks, eh? [:D][8|]

Kampferzähn -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 9:00:30 AM)

I agree with linrom completely.

I mean, why did we waste our time with Windows when we could have made DOS 2004? [:D]

Blackheart223 -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 9:02:43 AM)

Wasn't High Command only the E.T.O.?

CheopisIV -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 11:27:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kampferzähn

I agree with linrom completely.

I mean, why did we waste our time with Windows when we could have made DOS 2004? [:D]

Hmm..this is actually something I wouldn't mind (Wait, isnt it called Linux?)

Spartan07 -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 2:51:47 PM)

Now where did he go with his answer

color -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 3:27:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: linrom

This game looks like it came straight from 1994, except it was then called "High Command". Why bother? I can't understand why these guys would waste their time on this when they've could re-engineered War In Russia using the SP game engine, which is what all fans of mega-strategic games have been waiting for.

If you are talking about High Command: Europe 1939-1945 from 360 Pacific (Click here to see game info) from 1992, an equality with GGWaW is debatable. One is hex based, the other regions based. One has units with a points strength system, the other has whole units. HC has several different combat phases, GGWaW has movement/combat phase and production phase. The aspect where the games might resemble the most is in the concept: Strategic warfare. Even then they differ radically: HC is ETO only, GGWaW is global.

I've played High Command and the games are very different. Do not expect GGWaW to be more of the same.

Jorgen

Paul Vebber -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 4:30:40 PM)

In think you guys are missing some sarcasm...it HAS to be sarcasm... "War in Russia with the SP engine"... [X(][&:][sm=00000117.gif]

IDrinkBeer -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 4:53:33 PM)

quote:

Let's put this thread in perspective. His only other post was 3 YEARS Ago about WitP:

quote:

I am greatly disappointed to see this project make the FATAL mistake of fixing hex size at 60 miles. Since this development has now been going on for years, it almost seems like a complete waste of our time to wait for a game that appears to be almost a generation behind what should be technically doable. The whole idea should be to make this game at least realistic. At 60 miles to a hex you could hide the whole of US Navy, without the Japanese ever finding a trace of it.

I do not think I even need to make a comment. Do you? [:D]

Becket -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 5:18:47 PM)

I went to bed worrying about the Gold game, woke up this morning worrying about the Gold game, and I've been obsessed with it all morning.

(I really wish I'd played it safe. Or that Paul wasn't stingy with supply. [:'(])

I don't know if High Command ever made ya feel like that, but I'm glad Gary doesn't take his product advice from Linrom.

Marc von Martial -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 5:23:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

In think you guys are missing some sarcasm...it HAS to be sarcasm... "War in Russia with the SP engine"... [X(][&:][sm=00000117.gif]

Yep, we have an expert here [;)]

Paul Vebber -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 5:35:48 PM)

quote:

(I really wish I'd played it safe. Or that Paul wasn't stingy with supply. )

[image]http://www.impawards.com/1987/posters/ishtar_ver1.jpg[/image]

ITs coming, its coming - but it'll have camel snot all over it...

STOP HIJACKING THREADS!!![:-]

Becket -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 5:51:13 PM)

hee hee hee

Sonny -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 7:41:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Becket

I went to bed worrying about the Gold game, woke up this morning worrying about the Gold game, and I've been obsessed with it all morning.

(I really wish I'd played it safe. Or that Paul wasn't stingy with supply. [:'(])

I don't know if High Command ever made ya feel like that, but I'm glad Gary doesn't take his product advice from Linrom.

If it makes you that crazy then forget it. I have enough trouble holding onto my sanity.[:'(]

mavraam -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 7:57:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

What are you saying? You can't model the Russian front with 30 meter hexes and individual tanks, planes and platoons?

Gee, seems simple enough to me. [8|]

Paul Vebber -> RE: Why Bother? (3/23/2005 8:30:16 PM)

Bang, zoom, TO THE MOON MAVRAAM [;)]

TheHellPatrol -> RE: Why Bother? (3/24/2005 12:22:49 AM)

Ahhh, but this game boasts the best of both worlds (have you seen the specs?). It may look like a wargame from 1994 but if you put your research points in the proper areas...NO SPOILER...you can hit F1 during gameplay, and see if you can do better than the Nazis did, and play in first person mode trying to make it to the steps of the Whitehouse with your rail-gun while picking up armor shards[X(]...this game ROCKS![:D]

ravinhood -> RE: Why Bother? (3/25/2005 10:44:37 AM)

This was a totally boring thread read. [>:]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI