Digital Download and Retail Release Info (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War

Erik Rutins -> Digital Download and Retail Release Info (2/28/2005 10:45:55 PM)

Hello everyone,

Just a quick post on this, since I've seen a few questions.

First, Gary Grigsby's World At War is a worldwide retail release. We expect excellent distribution in North America and very good distribution elsewhere. It is important for both Matrix and 2 by 3 that the retail stores see this as a successful release for them, it could open more doors in the future that will allow us to bring you more games of this type to the mainstream stores.

With that in mind, we don't want to ignore our online customers who enjoy the digital download option. We've decided, in conjunction with our partners, on the following plan for a successful retail release while keeping the download option.

The digital download will be available on the same day as the store release date, which will be announced soon. The digital download will be sold at the same price as the retail version: $39.99. In fact, we expect that some stores will have specials that will allow you to get the boxed version with the printed manual for less than that, but that's the suggested price.

The download will not have a "game on demand" or "box on demand" option as we've put those production efforts into the retail box. You will be able to order the retail boxed version, but there may be a delay before that's available through our store, whereas it will be available immediately through the normal retail stores.

This keeps the digital download option for our customers who prefer it or who don't have retail stores in their country or county that carry the title (though with this release. that should not be many), however please understand that this has been planned as a retail release from the beginning and that is the focus of our effort. If you are able, I would personally get the retail boxed copy as it should be the same price with a nice box and a printed manual (as well as having the same files on the CD that you get with the digital download).

In this case, you will probably be able to pick it up at a local store or have it shipped to you the same day as the digital download becomes available, so there will be no early access difference.

Regards,

- Erik

hiroller -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/15/2005 2:28:37 PM)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002FGFJ8/qid=1110889029/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl65/103-7458117-1799813?v=glance&s=software&n=507846

Is this the same game?

Paul Vebber -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/15/2005 4:22:38 PM)

Yes, but note its not listed as available for 1-2 weeks...

HardRock -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/16/2005 3:57:38 AM)

and USUALLY 1-2 weeks at that.

Usually = retail way of saying you can't hold me to anything.

I say let him go buy it there:)

dragon_sun -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/20/2005 7:56:56 AM)

I'd love to see the "used" copy[:D]

targul -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/26/2005 10:41:25 PM)

quote:

I'd love to see the "used" copy

There will be plenty of used copies available on day two after the release. Everyone will sell there copy on Ebay or Amazon after they have downloaded it.

Nothing wrong with the disk or book. You just have to wait for the mail and end of listing unless it has a cheap buy it now. Game will probably go for $5 to $10 and will be like brand new.

Matrix is so foolish. With the DD they got full retail for each and every copy now they will get half of normal and less then half since the retailers and distributors will want some profit also.

I had always done the DD but this time I can be patient and buy it for less then $10 since they made me wait about a month more then needed anyway what is another month.

I picked up HOI2 during this time and it is a good game. BTW, the have gone to DD so you can get there games like you used to be able to get these.

Reverberate -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/26/2005 11:13:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: targul
Nothing wrong with the disk or book. You just have to wait for the mail and end of listing unless it has a cheap buy it now. Game will probably go for $5 to $10 and will be like brand new.

Why do you think WAW will be so cheap so fast? Now I could see an RTS piece of crap like HOI2 devaluing like that.............

ratprince -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/26/2005 11:24:26 PM)

What Targul is implying is that people will copy the game and then sell it. Ya know, illegal copyright infringement? [:-][X(][8|]

Usually people that think this way are the very pirates themselves.....[&:]

You seem very agitated Targul. Maybe a break from cynicism and negativity is needed? Sound about right?

If you feel comfortable buying pirated illegal software, that is your perogative. Good luck.

(hmmm....remember all of those FBI warnings on the beginings of movie tapes and dvds..? Gosh, I wonder what that means??? [;)])

TheHellPatrol -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/26/2005 11:36:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike mcmann
If you feel comfortable buying pirated illegal software, that is your perogative. Good luck.

(hmmm....remember all of those FBI warnings on the beginings of movie tapes and dvds..? Gosh, I wonder what that means??? [;)])
[:D]Aaaaaa.... How blissful was the ignorance of youth[:)]. To dream, perchance to sleep, aye...there's the rub[;)].

Paul Vebber -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/27/2005 4:48:01 AM)

quote:

There will be plenty of used copies available on day two after the release. Everyone will sell there copy on Ebay or Amazon after they have downloaded it.

Interesting that a search of ebay yields next to nobody doing that for any other DD titles...

rhondabrwn -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/27/2005 2:40:10 PM)

quote:

What Targul is implying is that people will copy the game and then sell it. Ya know, illegal copyright infringement? [:-][X(][8|]

You seem very agitated Targul. Maybe a break from cynicism and negativity is needed? Sound about right?

Reminds me of the "Video Pirates" segment in the movie "Amaazon Women on the Moon" [:D]

rhondabrwn -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/27/2005 2:46:07 PM)

quote:

I think the track record for Matrix downloaders NOT putting their downloaded games out for pirates is very good. I remember a thread where someone commented that it was virtually impossible to find a WiTP serial # posted anywhere.

Obviously, piracy merely bites the hand that feeds us and serves no good purpose if we want to see more great Matrix Games being brought to market.

Matrix is also my exception to waiting for the bargain bin availability. I've DD'd almost all their new releases for the past year.

targul -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 5:51:51 AM)

Well you are wrong. I have never pirated a game in my life. But I will buy copies from Ebay and Amazon when they come in there boxes and with the books. These are not pirated they are simply the games people get rid of. Happens everyday.

As to the value of this game after its release I have no idea. I have bought hundreds maybe thousands of titles. Most of them get played once and then I consider them trash.

You should not assume something is illegal just because it is cheap.

This game may or may not be good I have no idea. I am quite upset with Matrix and their policy with this release. I will not buy it retail because of this. I do not want them to make a cent from me for this title. That is why I will buy a used copy.

I have been watching this game since October and was anxious to get it but I have lost the interest because of the way this was handled. If customers tolerate bad service they get bad service.

I would have gladly paid for this game in Oct to have it sent to me as soon as it was printed but that was not offered. When SPI was alive I used to prebuy every title they made of the monster games. They would ship when they were ready (normally a couple years) but they NEVER told there regular customers they had to wait until after it was on the retail shelf before they could buy it.

Yes, I am old and I demand good service. I will accept nothing less.

quote:

Spartan07 -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 1:14:36 PM)

Good Luck Targul. Hope you get that copy and save yourself a whole 10 dollars. Meanwhile we will be playing:)

Erik Rutins -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 3:15:19 PM)

Just to update you all, my best estimate is that the download will be up and ready for purchase around 11AM. This is not a firm promise, it's my best estimate. All the preparations have already been done, but there can at times be unexpected delays in actually "going live". Hopefully, all will go smoothly and without issue.

Regards,

- Erik

vlale -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 3:35:57 PM)

Thx for the updates Erik.

Crossing finger for no last minut glicthes.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Bluestew0 -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 3:58:02 PM)

I hope Matrix has a big pipe for their presence on the internet. I suspect they will get pounded for DD requests this morning. :)

Erik Rutins -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 4:06:54 PM)

We have a VERY BIG pipe for this. There should not be any bandwidth issues related to the bandwidth on our end.

Regards,

- Erik

Toby42 -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 6:58:40 PM)

Is Targul for Real??? Sheesh, it's just a game!!!!

Bluestew0 -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:01:19 PM)

Erik, you weren't kidding. I got 1.17mb/sec on my download....screaming fast! Hard to find fault downloading 463mb in 5 minutes. :)

2gaulle -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:06:20 PM)

again the poor Canadien are considering Stupid by americain.

dowload price:
US price 39.9 us$
Canadien Price 49.9 Ca$

that 25%[:@][:@][:@][:@]

at amazon.ca the price is 39 ca$

thank again for your loyal Canadian customer!
[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

2gaulle -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:07:59 PM)

not better for Europeen are there is nothing in the store

vlale -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:10:58 PM)

>>Erik, you weren't kidding. I got 1.17mb/sec on my download....screaming fast! Hard to find fault downloading 463mb in
>> 5 minutes. :)

Odd, my file only shows 428mb, maybe its to make up for a 20k/s dl rate [:D]

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Erik Rutins -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:16:17 PM)

2gaulle,

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle
again the poor Canadien are considering Stupid by americain.

dowload price:
US price 39.9 us$
Canadien Price 49.9 Ca$

that 25%[:@][:@][:@][:@]

at amazon.ca the price is 39 ca$

thank again for your loyal Canadian customer!
[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

We have no control over Amazon's prices. We set our prices for GGWaW based on the same formula we use for our other games. We update around once every quarter with the latest actual currency exchange rates.

Amazon is free to charge whatever they want for the retail boxed copies they sell, but I fail to see how them under-pricing us has anything to do with our opinion of Canadians (which is excellent, might I add).

If a retailer in Europe decides to undersell our download price, will that indicate that we have a poor opinion of Europeans?

Seriously, we've been up front all along - the download would be priced the same as retail ($39.99 or equivalent) and we have done exactly what we said we would do in our pricing.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:17:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle
not better for Europeen are there is nothing in the store

Per my pinned post, the cache is still clearing so it will show up for some and not for others depending. Within an hour, it should show up for all. We have made it live for ALL stores, not just US and it will show up shortly.

Regards,

- Erik

Marc von Martial -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:35:00 PM)

Erik of course you´re wrong [;)]

The general consensus these days is first bitch, then read, then think (some skip the thinking though and go right back to bitching).

Becket -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:39:55 PM)

Dammit, no quoting text from someone on my block list. [:D]

IDrinkBeer -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:43:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Erik of course you´re wrong [;)]

The general consensus these days is first bitch, then read, then think (some skip the thinking though and go right back to bitching).

Actually, since the game is now available we have to move to the next logical step in the whining ( aka. bitching ) process. [:D]

This current step will be followed by:

"Where's the damn patch??"

which in turn is followed by:

"How come you didn't fix my specific bug??"

Lather, rinse, repeat, ad nausea....

Just face it, no matter what you do there will be those whose job it is to complain, and complain, and complain....

[:D][:D][8|]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:45:45 PM)

Marc, et. al.,

It's to be expected that when anticipation is high and a release is imminent, some folks get a bit touchy. With that said, I would ask everyone to please Read and Think before you comment. Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik

2gaulle -> RE: Digital Download and Retail Release Info (3/28/2005 7:46:03 PM)

quote:

The general consensus these days is first bitch, then read, then think.

Normal we are in Bush world.

quote:

Amazon is free to charge whatever they want for the retail boxed copies they sell, but I fail to see how them under-pricing us has anything to do with our opinion of Canadians (which is excellent, might I add).

We set our prices for GGWaW based on the same formula we use for our other games. We update around once every quarter with the latest actual currency exchange rates

a) the true conversion is 48.8 not 49.9.

b) when it will be at eb game it will between at 39 and 49.
as for all pc game, price are generaly the same in canada and USA.

Usual duscution since at least one year!

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI