Some ver 7.0 funny business! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns



Message


Tommy -> Some ver 7.0 funny business! (2/13/2002 3:57:00 AM)

Hallo Squadies, I was playing one of the canned scenarios, Ger vs Brits in the desert. All of a sudden I notice that every single round on all AFV shots is bouncing; mine and Gerries. I started reading the pop-ups and I notice that every AFV has "Reported Effective Armour" thicknesses of 500 to 2000!!! Did these gents just slip on their Chobham overcoats? No, a check of the preference screen showed that the "tank toughness" had jumped to 266%, all by itself. I didn't do it because I haven't been in that screen since I loaded ver 7 last December. I reset it to 100% and back came the brew-ups. Tommy




tracer -> (2/13/2002 5:18:00 AM)

Tommy,
Have you accepted any PBEM files? If an opponent sends a battle with any preferences changed, they remain changed until you reload a 'saved ' game, or go in and reset them manually. I'm guessing scenarios don't change them back.




Tommy -> (2/13/2002 10:32:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by tracer:
Tommy,
Have you accepted any PBEM files? If an opponent sends a battle with any preferences changed, they remain changed until you reload a 'saved ' game, or go in and reset them manually. I'm guessing scenarios don't change them back.

Tracer,
No PBEM games here. My guess is that the game holds the spaw.prf file open and ready to write. If we crash the PC (which I do about once per day)there's the chance of a garbage write to the file - sometimes the game can read the garbage & mis-interpret it (as 266% here). Or usually, the garbage hoses the file and the game goes crazy until we delete the .prf file and re-start. I think that explains why so many problems are "solved" by deleting the .prf file. Tommy




Nikademus -> (2/14/2002 12:30:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:
Hallo Squadies, I was playing one of the canned scenarios, Ger vs Brits in the desert. All of a sudden I notice that every single round on all AFV shots is bouncing; mine and Gerries. I started reading the pop-ups and I notice that every AFV has "Reported Effective Armour" thicknesses of 500 to 2000!!! Did these gents just slip on their Chobham overcoats? No, a check of the preference screen showed that the "tank toughness" had jumped to 266%, all by itself. I didn't do it because I haven't been in that screen since I loaded ver 7 last December. I reset it to 100% and back came the brew-ups. Tommy

This is a long standing Steel Panthers quirk, not specific to Matrix's version of the game. Its not a rule but more of a 'quirk' when playing scenerios (canned or created) from previously versions of the mech.exe or other game engine executible and/or OOB update. I've been recently playing the 'Stalingrad' campaign of late using the latest 7.1 OOB/Mech.exe beta and ran into a similar problem with armor vs pen interactions whenever there was any oblicity involved. The best example i ever ran into was back in my OOB edit SP:2 days when trying to fix said OOB's to more historical stats for Soviet supplied AFV's. When testing the new armor stats in the canned scenerios i found the modified Soviet tanks to be incredibly resistant to any and all HEAT ammo they were subjected too making me think initially that my adjustments had been too severe. On creating some new test scenerios though the exact opposite happened and i found the adjustments were more in line with my expectations in regard to armor vs pen. The moral of story; Grin and bear it. Its a small price to pay for the refinements put into this game.




Larry Holt -> (2/14/2002 12:40:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:
Hallo Squadies,
No, a check of the preference screen showed that the "tank toughness" had jumped to 266%, all by itself.


This is particularly odd as the highest you can manually set this is to 250%.




Tommy -> (2/14/2002 9:01:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt:

This is particularly odd as the highest you can manually set this is to 250%.

Larry, It just got odder; It happened again last night a few turns later on the same scenario "Supercharge-42" by Wild Bill. This time the tank toughness jumped to about 1500% Yikes!!! Not a real problem, I just reset it. I wanted to pass it along for "learning" on your next game. Tommy




Page: [1]

Valid CSS!




Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
0.0234375