Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War

Chernobyl -> Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/14/2021 10:05:31 PM)

Why is it that HQ AAA upgrade costs a staggering 10%? Seems like 5% is plenty steep enough.

Also what is the reasoning behind why German mobility upgrade costs 15% instead of 10% like it is for every other country? Mobility is a very fun upgrade to use and 10% is quite expensive to begin with. If this makes Germany too strong then Germany could easily be nerfed in a number of other ways.

ThisEndUp -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/15/2021 2:25:27 AM)

My impression is that it's an attempt to model the difficulty the Germans had with motorising their army. Lack or rubber, lack of oil, etc. etc. It was definitely much easier for the Allies to motorise an equivalent division due to access to several key resources.

ThunderLizard2 -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/15/2021 3:12:43 AM)

I think it's fine as giving Germans another advantage would tip balance of game.

BillRunacre -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/15/2021 8:28:30 AM)

The reason for the AA upgrade to a HQ costing 10% is because the largest element of a HQ is the logistical support it provides, and that is spread out and constantly moving backwards and forwards delivering supplies etc. Therefore it's quite a feat to provide AA protection to it over a significant area, especially if it is advancing or retiring, i.e. isn't static itself.

Chernobyl -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/16/2021 12:30:59 AM)

Thanks for the explanations.
I agree Germany should not be made too strong. It just doesn't feel right to penalize them uniquely for mobility though. Penalize them somewhere else.

Elessar2 -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/16/2021 3:45:05 PM)

It's historical tho. The Germans basically scavenged every truck they could from conquered countries-when one broke down it usually was a total write-off because there were no spare parts for the thing.

Chernobyl -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/17/2021 2:37:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2
It's historical tho. The Germans basically scavenged every truck they could from conquered countries-when one broke down it usually was a total write-off because there were no spare parts for the thing.

And the Italians and Japanese had plenty of trucks and spare parts? Please. Not historical. Germans had a decent truck industry.

Elessar2 -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/17/2021 2:43:14 AM)

No, the IJA & the Italians weren't in any better shape. It simply was way beyond their means to motorize even a majority of the Heer, and the in-game cost reflects that. I mean, they didn't have enough just for supply purposes. This is all a matter of historical record.

Tanaka -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/17/2021 6:12:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

And the Italians and Japanese had plenty of trucks and spare parts? Please. Not historical. Germans had a decent truck industry.

He actually makes a very good point here. Japan and Italy should have the same penalty. And I play Axis.

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/17/2021 8:09:41 AM)

I think both the German HQ AAA costs and the 15% mobility cost is perfect.

Concerning mobility: Even though Germany had a robust automotive industry...there were shortfalls from the very beginning of the war for trucks, hence why the looting (requisitioning) of France, The Low Countries, etc..of large amounts of transport, be it lt and hvy trucks, cabs, buses..what have you.

One thing I have found that is useful early on for Germany (when being frugal) is to motorize (mobility) select Inf corps for break through and value added versatility. Anything for Africa in addition to the DAK...give it mobility and AAA upgrades too.

PJL1973 -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/17/2021 3:31:50 PM)

Does the Axis have a penalty compared to the allies for long-range upgrades for aircraft as well? If not, then surely they should for much the same reasons as mobility would.

Elessar2 -> RE: Reasoning behind HQ and Mobility Upgrade Costs (9/17/2021 4:54:16 PM)

That mainly depended on the development of drop tanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI