House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Tanaka -> House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 7:17:13 AM)

Does this include Japanese forces in Korea?

Or does this mainly mean Thai and Kwantung forces?

geofflambert -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 7:37:23 AM)

In my view it's more of a rule rule. Restricted units are not supposed to cross borders so just don't do it, or buy them out. That means Kwangtun army units should not enter China. They should be free to march into the Soviet Union if you wish. Units restricted to China should stay out of Manchukuo or Burma. You need the Thai troops to garrison Thailand. That's all they're good for. I don't remember if they're actually restricted though. I think historically they may have participated in invading Malaya and Burma. There's about a Corps worth of Chinese Army (Allied) that is unrestricted and did enter Burma historically. US troops restricted to the States should be free to invade Mexico, though.

Chris21wen -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 9:21:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

In my view it's more of a rule rule. Restricted units are not supposed to cross borders so just don't do it, or buy them out. That means Kwangtun army units should not enter China. They should be free to march into the Soviet Union if you wish. Units restricted to China should stay out of Manchukuo or Burma. You need the Thai troops to garrison Thailand. That's all they're good for. I don't remember if they're actually restricted though. I think historically they may have participated in invading Malaya and Burma. There's about a Corps worth of Chinese Army (Allied) that is unrestricted and did enter Burma historically. US troops restricted to the States should be free to invade Mexico, though.

In my last game we modified the rules to within 2 hex of the border. There's a number of locations in and around Burma mainly were stopping at the border is tsctically stupid and and no well lead army would. That said moving outside that limit with any restricted unit is a no, no unless you pay PPs to do so.

Thai units are restricted. I treat all N American territory as one area, can't imagine the USA or Canada not sending units to help allies if invaded, after all that's why they are restricted, to protect the home land.

Having said all that its a game and up to you.

Maallon -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 11:13:01 AM)

When in doubt, ask your opponent what he thinks about it, because in the end this is something that will affect him the most.

If you have defined this HR without further specification, when I would personally expect that this applies for all units in all theaters, no exceptions.
So if you want to define boundaries for a HR, always talk to your opponent so you are both on the same page and nobody gets negatively surprised by something he thought should not be possible.

btd64 -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 12:07:38 PM)

All house rules should be agreed apon by both sides. Bottom line....GP

RangerJoe -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 12:17:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

All house rules should be agreed upon by both sides. Bottom line....GP

Does your wife agree to that? [;)]

btd64 -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 12:36:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Absolutely....GP

BBfanboy -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 4:35:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely....GP

Ah, so she makes he rules for the house then! [:D]

btd64 -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/2/2021 6:04:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely....GP

Ah, so she makes he rules for the house then! [:D]

Sort of. She does pay PP to cross to my side of the bed [:D]....GP

Tanaka -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/8/2021 9:05:15 AM)

So in general this house rule does include Japanese units in Korea yes?

Ian R -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/8/2021 10:53:12 AM)

If you agreed to no crossing borders by restricted HQ units, then yes it would stop restricted HQ IJ units leaving Korea.

I am not in favour of this house rule in general terms. If the military situation on the ground dictates, military formations do not stop on some map line (unless it's the Cambodian border or a similar neutral). It probably constrains the IJ a bit in the early going in the CBI theatre, but they have to buy things to move to the Pacific theatre over water anyway. The Red Army will eventually roll over them in Manchuria one way or the other (if the game is still going) with or without artificial restrictions.

Tanaka -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/8/2021 7:58:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

If you agreed to no crossing borders by restricted HQ units, then yes it would stop restricted HQ IJ units leaving Korea.

I am not in favour of this house rule in general terms. If the military situation on the ground dictates, military formations do not stop on some map line (unless it's the Cambodian border or a similar neutral). It probably constrains the IJ a bit in the early going in the CBI theatre, but they have to buy things to move to the Pacific theatre over water anyway. The Red Army will eventually roll over them in Manchuria one way or the other (if the game is still going) with or without artificial restrictions.

Gotcha thanks. Ah yes the Russians. At what date do they invade?

RangerJoe -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/8/2021 9:27:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

Usually on the 8th of August, 1945. Unless the Japanese drop off some rotten sushi before then . . . [X(]

geofflambert -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/9/2021 3:00:05 AM)

quote:

quote:

It's not the date they invade, it's the date you invade them. And get it done before all that stuff starts showing up on your borders in June of 45.

Tanaka -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/9/2021 6:02:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

quote:

It's not the date they invade, it's the date you invade them. And get it done before all that stuff starts showing up on your borders in June of 45.

Oh wow you actually invade them? Tell me more haha...

HansBolter -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/9/2021 10:39:16 AM)

quote:

I make an effort to abide by the spirit of this common HR, but only to a degree.

I will not send Chinese units to Burma without buying them out first.

I will not pay to buy out Chinese units and will move permanently restricted Chinese units into Vietnam and Manchuria as a state of war exists with those two 'nations'.

I can testify that the AI not only does not abide by this HR, it doesn't even abide by the requirement to maintain a set garrison level in Manchuria.

As soon as the Chinese threaten the bases near the Manchurian border the entire garrison flood into China, where it promptly stalls, gets surrounded and ground out of existence. In most of my games once the Chinese are ready to roll into Manchuria, there is nothing left there to defend it.

Ian R -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/9/2021 11:11:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

I make an effort to abide by the spirit of this common HR, but only to a degree.

I will not send Chinese units to Burma without buying them out first.

I will not pay to buy out Chinese units and will move permanently restricted Chinese units into Vietnam and Manchuria as a state of war exists with those two 'nations'.

I can testify that the AI not only does not abide by this HR, it doesn't even abide by the requirement to maintain a set garrison level in Manchuria.

As soon as the Chinese threaten the bases near the Manchurian border the entire garrison flood into China, where it promptly stalls, gets surrounded and ground out of existence. In most of my games once the Chinese are ready to roll into Manchuria, there is nothing left there to defend it.

And the 6th Guards Tank Army motors all the way to Pusan ("Fusin") and the ROK base complex is prepared to house the 8th AF and Tiger Force assault on Japanese refineries, followed by light industry and eventually heavy industry to shut down all production.

RangerJoe -> RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders (9/9/2021 1:44:24 PM)

Someone did invade the USSR in 1942 . . .

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI