New guy curious about events (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War

MisterMuffles -> New guy curious about events (8/12/2021 5:11:04 PM)

Hey, I recently picked up the Strategic Commands, and me and my friend have been playing a lot of World at War PBEM. I had some questions about soviet events:
First, is the Vladivostok port defense only meant to damage blockaders once? It seems super weak to only do 3-5 damage once, and the Japanese can easily wipe out hundreds of MPP of Soviet income with little cost.

Second, in my current game, the Soviet Winter event just didn't fire. It's February '42, and the 'Soviet Winter Strikes!' event hasn't happened. Does it require the Axis average supply to be low, or for them to reach certain territorial thresholds (asked because the only difference between this game and previous ones where the event did occur is that the Axis is far behind and has only barely driven into the USSR)?

KorutZelva -> RE: New guy curious about events (8/12/2021 6:37:27 PM)

Nah, deals damage each turn.

Soviet winter is random. It can only occur only once... but I don't think it's hard coded to happen on the first winter... although odds are it will usually be the case.

ElvisJJonesRambo -> RE: New guy curious about events (8/12/2021 6:39:07 PM)

Wanna say if Gerry starts Barby in Feb. 1941, there will be no Winter nor Global Warming. House rule on this?

EarlyDoors -> RE: New guy curious about events (8/12/2021 9:21:56 PM)

The Japanese blockade thing only seems to do damage once - not sure if this intended or a bug

EarlyDoors -> RE: New guy curious about events (8/12/2021 9:23:07 PM)

And Russian winter can occur as late as Feb / March 42

KorutZelva -> RE: New guy curious about events (8/12/2021 11:43:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

The Japanese blockade thing only seems to do damage once - not sure if this intended or a bug

Has to! I'm sure it was each turn in SC: Global Conflict!

MisterMuffles -> RE: New guy curious about events (8/13/2021 3:03:01 AM)

Thanks! Given that Vladivostok seems to be *intended* to do damage each turn, I think me and my friend'll use a house rule that the Japanese have to stop blockading Vladivostok after they take damage once.
Ty : )

BillRunacre -> RE: New guy curious about events (8/13/2021 9:31:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MisterMuffles

Hey, I recently picked up the Strategic Commands, and me and my friend have been playing a lot of World at War PBEM. I had some questions about soviet events:
First, is the Vladivostok port defense only meant to damage blockaders once? It seems super weak to only do 3-5 damage once, and the Japanese can easily wipe out hundreds of MPP of Soviet income with little cost.

Second, in my current game, the Soviet Winter event just didn't fire. It's February '42, and the 'Soviet Winter Strikes!' event hasn't happened. Does it require the Axis average supply to be low, or for them to reach certain territorial thresholds (asked because the only difference between this game and previous ones where the event did occur is that the Axis is far behind and has only barely driven into the USSR)?

Hi

Welcome aboard and I hope you're enjoying the game!

This is very intriguing, because the Vladivostok event was intended to be every turn, but on checking the script it is actually set to only fire the once! [X(]

So that will go on the list of changes, I'm glad you mentioned it. [:)]

As to the winter event, both its timing and triggers (they are territory based) have some randomization to them to prevent Axis players from working out how to avoid it. Rest assured that, unless the Axis fail completely to advance into the USSR, they will most likely experience it in the coming winter.

Treefrog -> RE: New guy curious about events (9/23/2021 9:11:38 PM)

quote:

Vladivostok event was intended to be every turn

what is the intended event?
the possible damage to the IJN or the loss of mpps to soviets?

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: New guy curious about events (9/23/2021 11:20:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

Its a bug for now. I think Bill and Hubert are aware of it.

Edit....oops..should of read the whole thread.[sm=00000280.gif]

BillRunacre -> RE: New guy curious about events (9/24/2021 8:37:35 AM)

It's the damage to the Japanese navy that is (until the next patch) limited to only happening the once.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI