how does National Morale work again... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War

The Land -> how does National Morale work again... (7/3/2021 3:37:01 PM)

So my understanding of National Morale is as follows. Is this right? Can you fill in the gaps? Have I missed anything?

Major powers start with a defined stock of National Morale. This is much higher for e.g. Russia than for countries which historically keeled over easily e.g. France, Italy.

National Morale is then increased when any of the following happens:
- you destroy a ship, transport or amphib: you gain points equal to the MPP value of the unit (I think, accounting for the cost of upgrades, the owner's Production Tech modifier)
- you destroy a land or air unit which has supply 4 or less: you gain points equal to the MPP value of the unit (again, I think, accounting for the cost of upgrades, the owner's Production Tech modifier)
- if you hold enemy resources: every turn you hold an enemy resource you gain NM, ranging from 2 points for a town to 100 points for a Major Capital
- by event:
-- when certain resources change hands (marked NM Objective)
-- on certain surrenders
-- in response to unit triggers e.g. USSR gains when Allies land in Italy or France
-- in response to certain territory criteria detailed in the strategy guide (e.g. Germany gains NM for holding France, Romania, and the Ukraine)

National Morale is decreased when:
- whenever you take damage, you lose NM points equal to the MPP value of the damage done (I believe this takes into account the nature of the loss e.g. strength loss, unit loss, out-of-supply unit loss)
- when you suffer convoy raiding on a convoy inbound to your country, you lose up to 25NM points for each unit that successfully raids the convoy (for e.g. battleships or submarines, other units do less)
- when you suffer strategic bombing (I don't know if this scales with damage done or is a flat rate or whether Heavy Bombers tech affects it?)
- if you hold enemy resources: every turn the enemy holds one of your resources, amount varies from 2 for a town to 100 for a Major Capital. (Does this apply to minors? E.g. Does this apply to Britain when Japan takes Singapore? Germany, when the USSR takes Bucharest? )
- by event:
-- when certain resources change hands (marked NM Objective)
-- on certain surrenders
-- in response to unit triggers
-- in response to certain territory criteria detailed in the strategy guide (e.g. Germany gains NM for holding France, Romania, and the Ukraine)

The effect of National Morale is:
- when National Morale reaches 0, a major surrenders automatically
- National Morale affects unit morale. If NM falls bellow 90%, 75% and then 40% you take a 5% penalty to unit morale for each threshold crossed. If NM rises below 110% you gain a 5% bonus.

... now, have I missed anything? :)

firsteds -> RE: how does National Morale work again... (7/4/2021 5:15:44 PM)

quote:

... now, have I missed anything? :)

Sinking larger ships now delivers a significant NM bonus / penalty. It was in a patch last year. Sorry, I can't find the details.

[Found it: June 2019 patch states "National Morale losses and bonuses due to naval combat will now be doubled for all naval units
except for Destroyers, Subs, Motor Torpedo Boats and Transports." So that means damaging a capital ship also earns double points - I thought it just applied to the sinking bonus. So, this thread has already been very helpful.]

The Land -> RE: how does National Morale work again... (7/5/2021 7:54:12 AM)

Thanks! Yes, good point... that is why a carrier or battleship can be worth 800+ NM points...

ThunderLizard2 -> RE: how does National Morale work again... (7/7/2021 8:48:15 PM)

Also note Italy has special surrender rule - I believe it's if 3 German units close to Rome (15 hexes?) and morale below 20

*Edit - got values from manual

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI