After Covid vaccination - if you get one (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

RangerJoe -> After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/20/2021 8:58:48 PM)

I see more people going around without masks. Maybe they think that they are now immune, that they don't need to wear a mask.

quote:

Yes, You Should Still Wear a Mask After Covid-19 Vaccination
Experts don’t yet know if Covid-19 vaccines prevent the virus’ spread—and it may take months to find out
In the meantime, health experts recommend vaccinated people continue to adhere to current mask and social distancing practices.

“You’re self-protected, but you still could be a danger to other people, especially if you start using behavioral disinhibition, saying, ‘I'm vaccinated, I'm invulnerable’,” Corey says. “You could acquire Covid and it will be silent, and then you can infect a bunch of people who are not as lucky as you to be vaccinated at this point in time.”

The two approved mRNA vaccines provide systemic immunity, meaning they encourage the production of antibodies in the blood and trigger a whole-body response to the virus. However, the virus typically first infects the mucus of a person’s nose and mouth, where those antibodies don’t actively fend off pathogens. A study published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in November shows that people who recover from natural Covid-19 infections develop antibodies to protect the mucosal regions in the respiratory tract, but there is no evidence yet that the same is true with vaccine-induced immunity.

Deborah Lehman, a professor of clinical pediatrics at UCLA, says if a Covid-19 vaccine is able to prevent the virus from living in the mucosal passages, it may not be able to spread to other people.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/yes-you-should-still-wear-mask-after-covid-19-vaccination-180977054/

Edited: A cat has to knead me causing discomfort, then steps on the computer keyboard which then puts too much into the quote. Then she goes to eat dry food . . . [8|]

Grognerd_INC -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/20/2021 9:44:59 PM)

The wife and I are on a list for an immunization, maybe someday! We certainly will continue to use appropriate protocols.

Aurelian -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/20/2021 9:52:39 PM)

Get my second shot on 3/1. Still will follow the protocols.

MrsWargamer -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/20/2021 10:12:26 PM)

I'm in no hurry to vaccinate. Not refusing, just not in a hurry.

I spend 6 days out of 7 in near isolation. I'm likely safer just not visiting anywhere other than my grocery store. I might have already gotten and beaten covid for all I know.

AndySfromVA -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/20/2021 11:38:30 PM)

I'll receive my second shot in a couple of weeks. I plan to gradually ease up on the distancing protocols but I will continue to wear a mask in most situations where there are many people in a confined space. I think folks have been far too complacent about the presence of viruses, whether Covid 19 or otherwise. There are many destructive viruses in the environment and different ones are constantly appearing. Mask wearing just makes sense.

Zovs -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 12:00:08 AM)

I will not vaccinate. I have not had a flu shot in 30 years and have only had the flu twice. No reason to vaccinate for something that is 99% recoverable.

berto -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 12:30:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

I will not vaccinate. I have not had a flu shot in 30 years and have only had the flu twice. No reason to vaccinate for something that is 99% recoverable.

My best friend was in hospital with COVID-19 and was near death for one week in January. Thankfully, he survived, and is now recovering.

Loss of 25 pounds. Over the past month, chronic shortness of breath, on supplemental oxygen when needed. Extremely fatigued, for a month (and counting) barely able to do anything. Does he have his senses of smell and taste back yet? Don't know.

"Recoverable"? Yes. "No reason to vaccinate"? Avoiding a month(s)-long illness and convalescence and possible long-term lowered quality of life -- these all seem to me like good enough reasons to vaccinate. (I got my first shot (Pfizer) a week ago, my second dose will be two weeks from yesterday.)

Not to mention I don't want to risk any length of hospital stay and the possibly ruinous financial costs of that. (Maybe the best reason for my uninsured young adult son to vaccinate.)

YMMV.

LarryP -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 1:24:30 AM)

If you wear a mask, underwear, and levis, then you cut a fart, can you smell it still? How the hell does a mask filter out any type of influenza?!

budd -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 1:39:46 AM)

I work in a health care setting, got my second shot beginning of February. Was a bit nervous about getting it at all, but we've had a couple of hundred positives between staff and patients and 4 deaths. 3 deaths were older patients with health issues and one staff that was younger but had health issues, her age was 37. Some folks i know got flu like symptoms for 12-36 hours after the second shot. All i got was a little fatigue and a sore arm. We were given the Moderna shots.

RangerJoe -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 1:48:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

If you wear a mask, underwear, and levis, then you cut a fart, can you smell it still? How the hell does a mask filter out any type of influenza?!

It depends upon the mask. I think that an M25, M17, or their equivalents would filter out influenza and they would also filter out the fragerence of a fart.

LarryP -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 1:54:44 AM)

My neighbor is 86 and seldom goes anywhere. I see him through his sliding glass door often and I see him with a mask tight upon his face, all alone. We live in a rural area. I'm not sure what to think...

AndySfromVA -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 3:29:38 AM)

quote:

My neighbor is 86 and seldom goes anywhere. I see him through his sliding glass door often and I see him with a mask tight upon his face, all alone. We live in a rural area. I'm not sure what to think...

He's definitely overdoing it, but the medical consensus says wear a mask in social situations so that's what I do.

Zap -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 5:01:39 AM)

I'm of the mindset. Withdraw all restrictions. Let the process work itself out. No mask required.

warspite1 -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 5:33:11 AM)

I will get the vaccination as soon as its offered to me, and continue to act in line with the advice given by the government on the strength of what they are told by the scientists.

DeepBlack -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 6:41:44 AM)

Always been fascinated with viruses.
They are near to the dividing
line between what is considered to
be life and what is not.

The current consensus seems to conclude
they are not living things.

So, what exactly are they?

A dead thing that continuously
shape-shifts and kills
millions of people?

I cannot wrap my mind around the concept.

Simulacra53 -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 8:53:39 AM)

quote:

That’s called being misguided.
All alone at home, in a rural area - live your life normally.

My family - wife, me and the kids - got COVID in October,
Wife and me were pretty sick for 2-3 weeks, including high fever etc. Kids were hardly affected.
Still afterwards not 100%

...but there is a balance between practical caution, solidarity and turning this into a opportunity to enforce relatively draconian measures and laws.
Basic healthcare works, in general vaccinations work, but forcing people, to silence them instead of answering their questions does not.

Many of these vaccines have been rushed through their clinical trials, the pharmaceutical corporations have made sure by contract that they are not liable. So if it works they have saved humanity at a nice profit, if it doesn’t work or if there are side effects, they still make a nice profit and we are left deal with it...

When governments start to force people, instead of convincing them (censorship and indoctrination are not the same as convincing people with facts), if a situation is used to attack free speech and privacy - like the surveillance transformation after 9/11 - if big corporations earn billions, yet do not have to carry much of the cost or risk, I start to question ... especially if we just accept numerous vaccination deaths (those were either weak elderly people or a unfortunately strong adverse responses - statistical flukes). Do I actually have a choice between vaccine A, B, C etc? (Answer no).

One of the questions I do not find has a strong answer / argument.

Do you need to be vaccinated AFTER having contracted COVID.

The official position is yes, that it is better to do so as it ensures proper exposure and a sufficient natural response of the body. Yet those who have been sick, more than mildly, should have been exposed enough to have enough of a natural response. This is the foundation of natural immunity, it is also how herd immunity works.

So early on that was all we talked about natural herd immunity.

A year later there is no more talk about natural immunity.
Far from it, we are now talking about multiple vaccination waves, maybe for years to come.
COVID is here to stay (like the flu).

So at the very minimal you can ignore much of what the institutional media is telling, because they are always behind the facts and chasing what is the official line (even in the US with its extremely polarized political landscape the opponents of the government in the media (orange man bad) follow the generally accepted narrative).

This has nothing to do with wargames (unless you include biowarfare experiments and operational use), but at least government are poor at fighting for the hearts and minds, which unfortunately is often a tell tale signal for laws and regulations that will curb your freedom and privacy. The canary in the coal mine.

That said, wash your hands, keep some distance and even a face mask can help - we never doubted them before and they have been used in healthcare for ages. Of course there is a difference between a medical grade mask and some of the the things you see.

Rambling - sorry - but either side of the topic, people imo should always think critically and ask the difficult questions, sometimes the simplest ones too like the basic 5x WHY? Fear is a powerful emotion, which has been used for ages to control the masses. At the very minimal everything that’s happening today should be judged in a rational way and IMO that’s not always in alignment with the official stance and/or narrative. Not after a year of witnessing this seesaw and the many blunders.

I question... call me a conspiracy lunatic (won’t change the fact that I question).

Back to the original topic - no I am not in a rush and will not be until I have a better understanding of what vaccine will be used, the way it works and its side effects. In fact we are talking about a virus that is still not completely understood (or at least that’s what we are told) and vaccines that have been rushed through clinical trials, including non liability contracts.

Mods, please accept my apologies up front.
[8|]

Rising-Sun -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 9:28:20 AM)

Been hearing odd things about after you get that shot, a nurse told me put her down pretty hard. She said it felt like going through a cemo whatever that is called. So it doesnt always work on certain people though, some can do more harm than good.

So i am gonna wait like six to twelve months after all this and hopefully this isnt bad as i though. Been doing good for a long time, like stayed home, a way from people!

Aurelian -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 12:27:17 PM)

quote:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-how-is-it-transmitted

The virus can spread from an infected person’s mouth or nose in small liquid particles when they cough, sneeze, speak, sing or breathe heavily. These liquid particles are different sizes, ranging from larger ‘respiratory droplets’ to smaller ‘aerosols’.

Other people can catch COVID-19 when the virus gets into their mouth, nose or eyes, which is more likely to happen when people are in direct or close contact (less than 1 metre apart) with an infected person.

Current evidence suggests that the main way the virus spreads is by respiratory droplets among people who are in close contact with each other.

And yes, you will smell a fart. It's a gas, not particle matter.

MrRoadrunner -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 1:17:54 PM)

My wife and I laugh at people who, alone in their cars, wear a mask. Hysteria and misinformation abound.
We wear masks because they are mandated for us to go into stores and other places. If they were not mandated we would not wear them.

April is supposed to be the break point for the virus. Between herd immunity and vaccines we should see the end of this.
We'll see what those "in power" will do at that point?

Freedom unites us. Covid divides us?

RR

RangerJoe -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 2:09:32 PM)

Please, let us get back to the topic and not diverge too much. I would rather not have this thread locked. [:-]

Wearing a mask does not prevent infection but it can reduce the initial viral load so the immune system can start working on the problem. Staying otherwise healthy, getting Vitamin D naturally or through sunlight, and proper preventative steps should help the average person. But people with serious health problems do need to consider getting vaccinated. Apparently, some of these new variants came from people who were sick a long time, who had other issues with their immune system as well, which then allowed mutations to develop. Maybe those people are the ones who should consider being vaccinated even with potential problems with vaccine reactions.

Neck gaiters actually can be worse than no mask since it aerosolizes the droplets. But guess what, even with that information those neck gaiters are still allowed to be worn as masks.

When people start going outside more, the amount of virus that they are exposed to should drop. The ultraviolet light should kill the virus plus the increase in the naturally from Vitamin D from the cholersterol in the body should help mitigate any problems if people do get the coronavirus sars-2.

Rising-Sun -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 7:33:59 PM)

Saw some reports that the Vitamin D wont help you much, but should keep you better shape. It was going in different parts of our body, one get in your eye, it can cause something odd in your eye balls and/or through out your nervous system. Esp your brain, that aint good either.

So wearing a mask isnt gonna be enough, just try to avoid large crowds and keep your distance as possible. There a risk every time you go in places where people are, unless you are wearing Biohazard Suit with a motorcycle helmet.

LarryP -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 7:37:44 PM)

Never mind. I don't want to debate this and I never should have posted anything. Sorry.

RangerJoe -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 8:13:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

Saw some reports that the Vitamin D wont help you much, but should keep you better shape. It was going in different parts of our body, one get in your eye, it can cause something odd in your eye balls and/or through out your nervous system. Esp your brain, that aint good either.

So wearing a mask isnt gonna be enough, just try to avoid large crowds and keep your distance as possible. There a risk every time you go in places where people are, unless you are wearing Biohazard Suit with a motorcycle helmet.

The Vitamin D won't keep you from getting sick but it may keep you from having a bad outcome.

Look at the date:

quote:

Vitamin D

Last Updated: July 17, 2020
Recommendation

There are insufficient data to recommend either for or against the use of vitamin D for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19.

General Information

Vitamin D is critical for bone and mineral metabolism. Because the vitamin D receptor is expressed on immune cells such as B cells, T cells, and antigen-presenting cells, and because these cells can synthesize the active vitamin D metabolite, vitamin D also has the potential to modulate innate and adaptive immune responses.1

Vitamin D deficiency (defined as a serum concentration of 25-hydroxyvitamin D ≤20 ng/mL) is common in the United States, particularly among persons of Hispanic ethnicity and Black race. These groups are overrepresented among cases of COVID-19 in the United States.2 Vitamin D deficiency is also more common in older patients and patients with obesity and hypertension; these factors have been associated with worse outcomes in patients with COVID-19. In observational studies, low vitamin D levels have been associated with an increased risk of community-acquired pneumonia in older adults3 and children.4

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/supplements/vitamin-d/

A good article and I suggest reading the entire thing but again the date:

What to Know About Vitamin D and COVID-19
Written by Shawn Radcliffe on October 7, 2020

quote:

Several studies have linked vitamin D deficiency to coronavirus infection and more severe COVID-19.
Experts are now investigating if taking vitamin D may help protect against severe COVID-19 symptoms.
Even before these studies are finished, there are good reasons to consider taking a vitamin D supplement.

“If you are deficient in vitamin D, that does have an impact on your susceptibility to infection,” Fauci said in an Instagram Live interview with actress Jennifer Garner. “So I would not mind recommending — and I do it myself — taking vitamin D supplements.”

Fauci was not speaking about COVID-19 specifically, but about vitamin D’s general role in supporting the immune system — in particular, about the benefits of this nutrient for people who are deficient.

Right now, the National Institutes of Health says there’s not enough evidence to show that vitamin D can prevent or treat COVID-19.

But there is enough evidence that scientists are exploring the benefits of this and other supplements against the coronavirus.
More recent research suggests that vitamin D deficiency may increase the risk of coronavirus infection and severity of COVID-19.

For example, some studies found that COVID-19 deaths tend to be higher in countries farther away from the equator, where many people are deficient in vitamin D due to the reduced amount of sunlight, especially during winter.

“We make vitamin D by being exposed to sunlight, and in the colder months people can become deficient,” said Nicole Avena, PhD, an assistant professor of neuroscience at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York.

Many factors could account for the greater number of COVID-19 cases in more northerly latitudes. But a study published last month in JAMA Network Open reinforces the importance of vitamin D for a healthy immune system.More recent research suggests that vitamin D deficiency may increase the risk of coronavirus infection and severity of COVID-19.

For example, some studies found that COVID-19 deaths tend to be higher in countries farther away from the equator, where many people are deficient in vitamin D due to the reduced amount of sunlight, especially during winter.

“We make vitamin D by being exposed to sunlight, and in the colder months people can become deficient,” said Nicole Avena, PhD, an assistant professor of neuroscience at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York.

Many factors could account for the greater number of COVID-19 cases in more northerly latitudes. But a study published last month in JAMA Network Open reinforces the importance of vitamin D for a healthy immune system.
Other studies show that patients with lower vitamin D levels who are diagnosed with COVID-19 tend to have worse outcomes.

One of these was published last month in PLoS ONE. Researchers found that people hospitalized for COVID-19 who were deficient in vitamin D were more likely to have severe symptoms or die from COVID-19.

Not all research, though, supports the link between vitamin D and COVID-19.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-vitamin-d-and-covid-19

RangerJoe -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 8:16:58 PM)

quote:

Never mind. I don't want to debate this and I never should have posted anything. Sorry.

Please, if you have something constructive to contribute then please do so.

I originally posted this because I have seen more people not wearing masks in public, enclosed places. I did not wear them until the virus was in the area, now I do. I do not know if I will get vaccinated or not, I am leaning towards not being vaccinated.

altipueri -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 8:43:29 PM)

I'm 66. Got my text at 4pm and the jab at 8pm - Wednesday last week. (I'm in UK)

But I've ignored and broken every rule I possibly can.

The brave die once; cowards a thousand times.

PS - why do California (lockdown fanatics) and Florida (little lockdown) have similar infection and fatality rates?

LarryP -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 9:02:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

I originally posted this because I have seen more people not wearing masks in public, enclosed places. I did not wear them until the virus was in the area, now I do. I do not know if I will get vaccinated or not, I am leaning towards not being vaccinated.

Thank you Joe. That's very kind of you.

The reason I backed out is cause my wife and I have done our homework for a long time concerning this and surrounding issues that are directly and indirectly associated. I know what's going on. It takes everything I have to keep my mouth and fingers shut up. There is so much untruth in the media now, it's sickening. This thread for instance, tons of untruth.

If I start, then this will get shutdown for political content. When I said I did not know what to think about my neighbor wearing a mask indoors, I should have said "I do not know what to think about his sanity" instead. I know what to think. Just not sure what to think about him. It's very sad. There's a much bigger picture here than a virus, oh my, so much bigger. And it seems most people are not finding it from the looks of things posted.

RFalvo69 -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 9:09:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Except that the cowards don't infect others in the process. [8|]

RangerJoe -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 9:16:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Thank you Joe. That's very kind of you.

The reason I backed out is cause my wife and I have done our homework for a long time concerning this and surrounding issues that are directly and indirectly associated. I know what's going on. It takes everything I have to keep my mouth and fingers shut up. There is so much untruth in the media now, it's sickening. This thread for instance, tons of untruth.

If I start, then this will get shutdown for political content. When I said I did not know what to think about my neighbor wearing a mask indoors, I should have said "I do not know what to think about his sanity" instead. I know what to think. Just not sure what to think about him. It's very sad. There's a much bigger picture here than a virus, oh my, so much bigger. And it seems most people are not finding it from the looks of things posted.

If you would rather communicate with me by pm that is fine with me.

If you get along with your neighbor, call him and visit with him that way. There may be other issues involved as well.

As far as untruth on this thread in regards to Covid-19, the problem is that it is so new and different that we are all still learning. That is why, with those two quotes links that I posted, that I asked people to look at the dates. So if I post something that you know is untrue and can post a link showing that, that will be great as far as I am concerned and I will appreciate that.

Aurelian -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 9:26:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Except that the cowards don't infect others in the process. [8|]

They also get the covid shots.

LarryP -> RE: After Covid vaccination - if you get one (2/21/2021 9:28:50 PM)

One question I want to ask, and it will be very interesting to see what is replied. I'm not asking for my information, it will be interesting to see what people believe.

Where did this COVID-19 originate?

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI