Gibraltar and naval interdiction (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan

Lascar -> Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/5/2020 2:35:55 PM)

An Italian naval force east of Gibraltar, while it was still British controlled, was able to naval interdict a British naval force west of Gibraltar and inflict casualties. If an axis naval unit cannot pass through a UK controlled strait of Gibraltar, how can it naval interdict through the strait?

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/5/2020 3:03:50 PM)

Because the UK controls it. It is the same sea area so they have access.

If the rock was Italian controlled they couldn't.

This isn't WIF man, no sea zones.

Lascar -> RE: Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/5/2020 4:32:11 PM)

I understand that if the Italians controlled Gibraltar that their fleet to the east of Gibraltar would logically be able to interdict/attack a UK fleet in the Atlantic. But in this case the UK controls Gibraltar which prevents the Italian ships from actually entering the Atlantic yet they were able to interdict the British 5 hexes away and inflict casualties. The Italians interdicted/attacked the British not the other way around.

Harrybanana -> RE: Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/5/2020 11:55:26 PM)

I think it is just the way interdiction works, logical or not. I don't think the 5 hex distance even needs to be 5 sea hexes. I am pretty sure that I once had a fleet on the East coast of Italy interdicted by a fleet on the West coast, even though by sea it was over 20 hexes away. But admittedly I am not 100% sure of that.

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/6/2020 2:03:30 PM)

That is correct they patrol in a 5 hex radius regardless if there is ocean as long as sea areas connect.

It is representing an abstract constructed sea area much like in World in Flames. It also keeps it simple for players.

Lascar -> RE: Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/6/2020 9:10:27 PM)

Does the probability of spotting and interception decrease proportionally from the location of the interdicting fleet?

Meteor2 -> RE: Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/7/2020 6:40:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

I think it is just the way interdiction works, logical or not. I don't think the 5 hex distance even needs to be 5 sea hexes. I am pretty sure that I once had a fleet on the East coast of Italy interdicted by a fleet on the West coast, even though by sea it was over 20 hexes away. But admittedly I am not 100% sure of that.

I was not aware of this behaviour, of it really works that way.
And I do not like this solution, because ist is not intuitive. A distance in the water (East-West-Italy) of 20 hexes indicates (IMHO), that no fleet can interdict.
Ships are no aircrafts and thus not flying. [:(]

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Gibraltar and naval interdiction (11/7/2020 5:00:48 PM)

After I read my post I thought to myself what you said Meteor2.

Then I realized I had 2 different area water scripts an removed one some time ago and forgot a chance of distance and controlled water mass. It is supposed to check distance and it is supposed to check for the same water mass that turn.

So I am making sure the code does both.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI