Calculation for Unit Strengths (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

ABFlo -> Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/2/2020 9:42:46 PM)

Hi all.
Being new to TOAW, I am trying to understand the underlying mechanisms of the game. I am still playing several times the Korea Tutorial, and I have a big doubt about the calculations relative to the Unit Strengths.
The counter of the selected regiment shows a Strength value of 9. But summing the AP Strength of all the components of the Units, the value is much higher, 59.
By reading the Manual (Pag. 36), it says that the Strenght is then multiplied by the Morale and "scaled to fit" the game displays (?).
Could you please help me to understand the relationship between the value reported on the counter and that obtained by summing the values of the various components of the Unit?
Thanks.

[image]local://upfiles/22353/B3EA1452EB044A308FEDB888D92E3004.jpg[/image]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/2/2020 10:11:56 PM)

The raw strengths can be gargantuan. They could never fit on the counter display. So, the values displayed on the counters are scaled relative to the largest strength in the game (which is set to about 31-32).

ABFlo -> RE: Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/3/2020 11:15:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
The raw strengths can be gargantuan. They could never fit on the counter display. So, the values displayed on the counters are scaled relative to the largest strength in the game (which is set to about 31-32).

Thanks Bob, this makes sense.
So, if I understand correctly, the scale factor depends on the single scenario. In this case, the Korea tutorial, it is about 59/9=6.5 for all the unit counters. Is this correct?

dduckett -> RE: Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/4/2020 2:50:58 AM)

I don't have an answer to your question, though what you asked made me think of a tip I saw, which was changing counter values to display 'Attack' strength instead of AP strength. This shows the combined strengths and can be helpful for comparison. While in game, go to Play > Player Options, go to the next page of 'Set Advanced Player Options' and click 'Edit Counter Values'. You can then right-click on the counter value you want to change, and there are quite a few options.

[image]local://upfiles/60192/522E9BE0DB794F3CA02958C5E1F9CC53.jpg[/image]

ABFlo -> RE: Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/4/2020 4:10:06 PM)

Hi dduckett, thanks for the tip. I still have to dig into many options of TOAW, so this indication is very useful.
I added the option to see the "Attack" value, and made some more calculations.
The difference between AP and Attack is clear, as in the figure:
Attack = AP + Aarmor + Aair(High) + Aair(Low).

If I now make the sum of the AP for all the squads of the unit, as I said in the first post, I obtain 59. The counter reports 9, so there is a scale factor of about 6.5.
The strange thing is that if I make the sum for the Defense of all squads, I obta[image][/image]in 27, while the counter reports 10, so a scale factor of 2.7, uhm...
Do you have any idea about these different scale factor for AP and Defense?
Thanks

[image]local://upfiles/22353/7EB05516DC8047ECB4B5BF44FB1ABBD2.jpg[/image]

dduckett -> RE: Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/5/2020 10:36:42 PM)

I do not know about these different scale factors and how they work--someone more familiar with game engine would have to speak to that.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/6/2020 1:12:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ABFlo

Hi dduckett, thanks for the tip. I still have to dig into many options of TOAW, so this indication is very useful.
I added the option to see the "Attack" value, and made some more calculations.
The difference between AP and Attack is clear, as in the figure:
Attack = AP + Aarmor + Aair(High) + Aair(Low).

If I now make the sum of the AP for all the squads of the unit, as I said in the first post, I obtain 59. The counter reports 9, so there is a scale factor of about 6.5.
The strange thing is that if I make the sum for the Defense of all squads, I obta[image][/image]in 27, while the counter reports 10, so a scale factor of 2.7, uhm...
Do you have any idea about these different scale factor for AP and Defense?
Thanks

I don't know where you are getting your numbers 59 and 27. The correct numbers are much higher:

[image]local://upfiles/14086/5ECCE2E43AB0419090B6647482607FA6.gif[/image]

Actually, it appears that you were forgetting to multiply by the # of equipment items.

The above numbers would also be multiplied by the morale of the unit (2 x Proficiency + supply + readiness) / 4). But that would be the same for both AP and DF.
Edit: It equals 0.83 in this case.

ABFlo -> RE: Calculation for Unit Strengths (8/6/2020 9:13:45 PM)

Hi Bob.
Thanks, you are right. I simply summed the AP column, hence the 59 value.
I am starting to better understand the structure of the game, it is my first venture in operational level sims, so I was a bit confused about the different components, in particular the relationship between the counters and the squads that compose the relative unit.
Anyway, Excel should actually be put under the minimum requirements :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI