Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe

The Land -> Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/25/2020 9:02:54 AM)

If the Axis occupies the UK and the British government moves to Canada, then (obviously) the British convoys move to Canada as well.

However, if there's a partisan uprising in Liverpool, then as Liverpool is in British hands then the convoys all move back to Liverpool, even if that's the only one hex in the British Isles that is under Allied control. This makes it much easier for the Axis to raid them (!)

I suggest having the British convoy events check the "move the capital to Canada" decision to avoid this.

crispy131313 -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/25/2020 1:00:26 PM)

Similarly I just occupied Iraq with the Soviets and yet the oil is flowing to the UK via convoy... was hoping to keep that for the Soviets.

El_Condoro -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/25/2020 10:06:43 PM)

The convoy.txt scripts might be able to have a separate event for the Soviet control of Iraq but the British partisans are still British, so I don't think that one can be changed.

The Land -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/26/2020 8:46:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: El_Condoro

The convoy.txt scripts might be able to have a separate event for the Soviet control of Iraq but the British partisans are still British, so I don't think that one can be changed.

I can't quite remember what triggers the Convoy scripts take, but it should be possible for it to check whether Ottawa is Canadian or British...

BillRunacre -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/26/2020 9:02:23 AM)

I do understand, but without a foolproof way of checking for ownership of a hex, the methods I'm thinking of would not be foolproof and would risk the cure being worse than the disease.

I'll think on it some more but unfortunately I'm skeptical that we can safely change the settings here.

BillRunacre -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/27/2020 9:05:59 AM)

Can you confirm if it was just the US convoy to the UK that returned to sending a convoy direct to the UK?

The Land -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/27/2020 11:25:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

Can you confirm if it was just the US convoy to the UK that returned to sending a convoy direct to the UK?

US and Canada convoys - the other convoys are still arriving into Yarmouth, Canada

BillRunacre -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/27/2020 3:51:50 PM)

That's good to hear, because it means a solution is possible, at least for the US one. [:)]

The Canadian one might not be as straightforward, I need to think more about that.

Thanks

Bill

BillRunacre -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/27/2020 7:03:58 PM)

Actually looking into it further and there are risks and drawbacks to changing anything here.

If I felt more confident that making a change would always lead to an optimal convoy route then I wouldn't hesitate, but without that degree of confidence I would rather not take the risk, so accepting that the convoys may switch back to the UK (probably briefly) if Partisans liberate Liverpool is for now the best option.

El_Condoro -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/27/2020 8:59:25 PM)

The easiest way to prevent it is to leave a garrison in Liverpool.

The Land -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/28/2020 9:59:12 AM)

quote:

yes, but you don't necessarily want to prevent it. In fact as the Axis player your best bet is to deliberately not garrison Liverpool, put 2 garrisons nearby so they can move in and stop the partisans doing anything, and park all your submarines in the Irish Sea to raid the convoy.

The Land -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/28/2020 10:13:22 AM)

quote:

Actually looking into it further and there are risks and drawbacks to changing anything here.

If I felt more confident that making a change would always lead to an optimal convoy route then I wouldn't hesitate, but without that degree of confidence I would rather not take the risk, so accepting that the convoys may switch back to the UK (probably briefly) if Partisans liberate Liverpool is for now the best option.

Fair enough - thanks for looking into it!

BillRunacre -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/29/2020 10:41:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

quote:

yes, but you don't necessarily want to prevent it. In fact as the Axis player your best bet is to deliberately not garrison Liverpool, put 2 garrisons nearby so they can move in and stop the partisans doing anything, and park all your submarines in the Irish Sea to raid the convoy.

Perhaps an alternative solution might then be for us to change the Partisan location slightly so that this cannot be done?

The Land -> RE: Oddity: Partisans re-establish convoys to UK (7/29/2020 1:38:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

quote:

Perhaps an alternative solution might then be for us to change the Partisan location slightly so that this cannot be done?

Yes - if you move the partisan location to Leeds or Sheffield then it threatens more MPPs because of the mine, but it also won't have this unwanted effect (unless the Axis is conceding the whole of northern England)

The Land -> Further oddity: Irish ports occupied by UK after Axis invasion of Ireland (7/30/2020 6:53:40 PM)

It also seems that the ports Britain occupied by DE at the start of the war stay British after German conquest of Ireland. It would make sense if they went back to being Irish at the time Ireland surrendered.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.296875E-02