AI does not perceive my army as a threat (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback

jeffad -> AI does not perceive my army as a threat (7/6/2020 2:48:00 PM)

In my current game I have managed to build up a couple of fully kitted out MG Infantry Corps with supporting armor that I built up while winning a very grindy battle against a pretty powerful minor regime. I have since been able to take out two other minor regimes without much of a struggle; all I did in both cases was to keep the status as 'unclear', march my forces up to his capital, surround it, and launch a massive assault against it. In both cases, not a shot was fired until the enemy's city was surrounded. A human would certainly view a large army marching into it's territory as a threat and not allow it to surround it's capital city without firing a shot. I imagine the AI realized that my forces were more powerful than his, so it didn't want to mess with me. In my head I pictured Eric Idle from Monty Python leading the army saying to the defending forces - "don't mind us boys, nothing to see here, just passing through!"

I think some changes will need to be made to the 'unclear' status so that the AI will declare war more quickly once it realizes that the players forces are gobbling up its territory and has a sizable army near its capital, regardless of the strength of that army.

I must add that I have just started playing the game. Over the past few days I have been doing pretty much nothing but playing the game, watching Das Tactic videos on Youtube, and reading the manual. I finally feel like I have a handle on what is going on, although there are certainly many small details I don't yet understand. Having said that, I am playing on 'beginner' level, so I don't know if the AI would behave differently on a higher level.

zgrssd -> RE: AI does not perceive my army as a threat (7/6/2020 2:55:27 PM)

The minors avoid declaring wars, as this would not trigger protetion agreements. It needs to force the enemy into firing the first shoot.

I did sugest Manned Fortifications:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4843059
If the AI had some - say a circle at 2 hexes from the Capitol - the player would be incapable of advancing on the city without having to enter a guarded hex and thus declare war.

jeffad -> RE: AI does not perceive my army as a threat (7/6/2020 3:23:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The minors avoid declaring wars, as this would not trigger protetion agreements. It needs to force the enemy into firing the first shoot.

That strategy might be okay when the players forces are not strong enough to take the capital in one attack, but once the players forces reach a certain level of power, that strategy is suicide. Perhaps protection agreements can be made to trigger once the players forces get within a certain number of hexes of the capital?

zgrssd -> RE: AI does not perceive my army as a threat (7/6/2020 4:46:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffad

quote:

That strategy might be okay when the players forces are not strong enough to take the capital in one attack, but once the players forces reach a certain level of power, that strategy is suicide. Perhaps protection agreements can be made to trigger once the players forces get within a certain number of hexes of the capital?

That could cause issues if the capitols are very close. Afaik the minimum distance is only 4 Hexes.
If there is such a exclusion zone, it has to adapt for cases where 2 cities are very close.

jeffad -> RE: AI does not perceive my army as a threat (7/6/2020 6:49:04 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffad

quote:

That could cause issues if the capitols are very close. Afaik the minimum distance is only 4 Hexes.
If there is such a exclusion zone, it has to adapt for cases where 2 cities are very close.

Perhaps complicate the calculation with 'if cities closer than X, trigger protection agreement if units get within 1/4 X of capital', or something like that. If there is no protection agreement, then the same equation would also be used to trigger an automatic declaration of war.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.734375E-02