Bersama Lima, 2003 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report

HalfLifeExpert -> Bersama Lima, 2003 (4/10/2020 9:02:57 PM)

Finally got around to completing this scenario, and did so over a few playthrough sessions.

So Royal Navy forces, supported by ships and aircraft from Australia and New Zealand, have been called upon to defend Brunei from Chinese aggression after the latter lost two vessels in a naval engagement in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.

My ships are divided into 3 groups: The HMS Ark Royal carrier group south of Vietnam (with a Trafalgar class sub nearby), a surface/amphibious force in proximity of Brunei (with a detached Frigate close by), and the Australian/New Zealand ships (which i refer to as the ANZAC Group) coming up from the south near the western coast of Borneo. Additionally, I have air assets at Brunei international airport, including RAF Tornadoes and RAAF F-18s.

Thanks to the American satellites, I am able to locate the PRC naval surface forces in the region, which are divided into groups of 2-3 ships each, all surrounding my positions from the North, West and South. Unfortunately, I have to wait until the Chinese commence hostilities.

They do so close to midnight, several hours after the scenario starts.

The first engagement is the PRC surface group nearest to the Ark Royal firing salvos of ASCMs at the carrier. I am able to defeat all of them with Sea Harriers using AMRAAMs. Simultaneously with that missile battle raging, I have the ANZAC Force fire a single harpoon at a single low tech frigate approaching them. The PRC Frigate does not sink, but is crippled and dead in the water. I later finish it off with a Harrier strike using mavericks.

Once I'm able, I strike back at the PRC group that attacked Ark Royal with F-18s and AP-3s using Harpoon missiles, which sinks the frigate and heavily damaged the destroyer and fleet oiler in the group. Meanwhile, my submarine HMS Turbulent detects a Han class SSN heading toward Ark Royal. I'm quickly able to sink it with an ASW Helo from Ark Royal.

Feeling confident, I dispatch a pair of RAAF F-111 bombers to strike the far off PRC Group that is close to Malaysia, which consists of a destroyer and Frigate. Since these two vessels have limited AA capabilities, I decide to take the risk and see if I can blow them apart in a fast, low level attack with alot of iron bombs. This mission fails, with one F-111 shot down before weapons release, and the other shot down having released its weapons, causing only minor damage to the target ship. Since these two vessels never approach my forces, I decide to leave them alone for the remainder of the scenario.

Now I turn my attention to the two other PRC surface groups coming from the north. I'm able to sink one frigate with Harpoons from a AP-3 Orion. Before I can prepare more attacks, a force of Chinese Badgers show up going after Ark Royal. A determined defense by Sea Harriers and F-18s knock down 6 of them, and damaging the remainder, forcing them to abort mission. My ships and F-18s also defeat an ASCM salvo fired from one of the remaining PRC destroyers.

While I hunt a detected Chinese Kilo class submarine, a second Badger raid comes in, with the exact same results. 6 shot down, the rest damaged and aborted without weapons release. When one of those badgers are destroyed, I get a scenario completed message with a score of 300 "Minor Victory".

Hell No! This battle isn't over!!!!

I say screw the pop up and continue operations.

I end up expending much of my Harpoon inventory trying to sink the remaining Chinese ships, ultimately succeeding in sinking 3 surface combatants outright, and leaving the final Sovermenny (from the group that attacked Ark Royal at the start) so badly damaged that she eventually sinks from bad damage. Both of the PRC Fleet oilers I'm able to sink with aircraft bombs. However, In an attempt to finish off that last Sovermenny and destroy her fleet oiler, I lose 4 harriers. The two armed with LGBs sink the oiler before being shot down, while the Maverick armed ones are shot down without firing their weapons.

At last, I finally find that Kilo and sink it with a helicopter.

Now I finally declare the battle won and end the scenario, with a proper score of 695 - "Triumph"

RULE BRITANNIA!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNfvJc99YY

Here are my losses and expenditures. The one lost Junk was from a rogue Harpoon that was left without a target.

SIDE: UK - ANZAC Forces
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
2x F-111G Aardvark
4x Harrier GR.7

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
6x 114mm/55 Mk8 HE(MP)ER HE
16x 30mm/75 DS30B Mk1 HE Burst [20 rnds]
36x Sea Wolf VLS Blk 1
4x 20mm/85 Mk15 Phalanx Blk 1 Burst [300 rnds]
27x RGM-84D Harpoon IC
37x AIM-120B AMRAAM
21x Sea Dart Mod 3
2x AGM-65B Maverick EO
28x AGM-84D Harpoon IC
12x AIM-9M Sidewinder
7x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
36x Mk82 500lb LDGP
4x AGM-65G2 Maverick IR
31x AN/SSQ-62C DICASS
8x SSQ-954D DIFAR-LOFAR
1x Stingray Mod 1
27x AN/SSQ-53F DIFAR
33x SSQ-801B Barra
4x SSQ-963C CAMBS V
4x AIM-132A ASRAAM
1x 20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]
10x Sea Wolf Blk 1
11x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
4x CPU-123 Paveway II LGB
2x Mk46 NEARTIP Mod 5A(SW)

SIDE: China

LOSSES:
4x Ka-28 Helix A
2x Type 053H2 Jianghu III [535 Huangshi]
12x H-6D Badger
1x Type 053HT-H Jianghu IV [544 Siping]
1x Z-9C Dauphin 2
1x Type 053H3 Jiangwei II [564 Yichang]
1x Type 091 Han
1x Type 051DT Luda IV [109 Kaifeng]
2x DDG 136 Hangzhou [Pr.956E Sovremenny]
2x JH-7 Flounder
2x Type 905 Taiking [881 Hongzehu, Fuqing Class]
1x S 366 [PL-636 Kilo]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
64x RGB-NM-1 [Passive Omni]
16x SS-N-22M Sunburn [P-270 Moskit]
2x 100mm/55 H/PJ-87 HECVT
50x 37mm/63 Twin Burst [20 rnds]
40x Generic Chaff Rocket
22x HQ-7 Crotale [FM-80] Naval
36x AK-130 130mm/54 Twin Frag Burst [2 rnds]
16x AK-630M 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
53x SA-N-12 Grizzly [9M317]
68x PK-10 Chaff [SR-50]
12x PK-2 Chaff [TSP-47]
3x 130mm/58 Twin HE Burst [2 rnds]
2x Generic Acoustic Decoy
24x YJ-83 [C-802A, CSS-N-8 Saccade]
12x YJ-83K [C-802AK]
3x Generic Acoustic Decoy

SIDE: Brunei

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Civilian Fishing Boats

LOSSES:
1x Civilian Junk [35m]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

.Sirius -> RE: Bersama Lima, 2003 (8/24/2020 6:58:47 PM)

Hi that's a great AAR, I am putting together a similar scenario but set in 1965 during the Indonesian Confrontation:)

HalfLifeExpert -> RE: Bersama Lima, 2003 (8/29/2020 11:57:39 PM)

Thanks Paul, can't wait to play it!

mikkey -> RE: Bersama Lima, 2003 (9/3/2020 8:45:40 PM)

Nice AAR, thanks!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02