John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Ekaton -> John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/12/2020 8:31:19 PM)

I've just tried John Tiller's Campaign Series Normandy '44, trying the Caen scenario. It starts with beach landings, but I can't get past the initial bunkers and pillboxes. Artillery fire and bombers do nothing against entrenched German troops, assaulting them with all my troops doesn't work either, and I cannot bypass them. I sometimes have hundreds of soldiers, with dozens of tanks, trying to assault a group of X (1-9) guns, but the effect is usually at most 1-2 guns destroyed each time. By the first day I haven't managed to clean even one beachhead. AI retreated its infantry from some bunkers, why can't my troops defeat several entrenched guns? What am I doing wrong?

sIg3b -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/12/2020 10:00:07 PM)

Id say tanks or engineers should be best against bunkers, but I havent played the specific scenario so Im just guessing.

I think you should put the question in a more specific forum rather than general. In the general forum, probably only 1% even know what you are talking about. [;)]

eastwindrain -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/12/2020 10:16:14 PM)

OK I take it you have used your engineers to destroy any anti-tank ditch/wall protecting the bunkers before assaulting them. Check them out in 3D mode for a clearer view. I always deselect the 3d counters option as the 3D troop bases look better without blocking too much hex terrain. Also concentrate you fire on one bunker first, one that looks vulnerable and will allow troops to pass thro once it falls.

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/12/2020 11:33:36 PM)

Get your engineers and mine clearing tanks busy, focus on just a couple of points. i like to focus on two end bunker points on the Lion-sur-mer side, any extra resources work on the Riva Bella bunker. Once you crack Lion-sur-mer and the end bunker point you can break out. Arty i find just doesn't do anything to the bunkers, i use it behind the lines on other units. No secret, shoot the crap out of those points and keep assaulting, its messy. Once you get an opening you can surround some of the other bunkers and shoot and assault, once there cut off there a small bit easier.

Are you playing the one with all three beaches? one of my favorite scenarios. I usually get Caen ok, but have trouble with Bayeux.

The other beaches are a little easier so to speak, sword is the hardest i find.

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 1:44:38 AM)

10:00 am I've breached all three bunker lines. I'm in the open at Juno, about to break out in the on the other two beaches. At sword Riva-Bella is about to fall , i'll surround the last bunker and take it out. Until Riva-Bella falls i'll break toward Lion-sur-mer.At Gold i'll break out due south or south east, that last bunker due west in a bitch to take, i'll surround with some units but i want to bust out into the open. The ships do pretty much nothing to the bunkers,i only shoot the bunkers when i have nothing else to shoot at. The planes do some fatigue and if your lucky disrupt, but your going to have to assault and assault some more, focus on one or two points and try to avoid the combined arms penalty..........GET OFF THE BEACH [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/32191/9D9717EFA622472EB5495569A270C245.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 2:07:07 AM)

Is there a forum for this game?

FAA -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 2:10:23 AM)

Ive always disliked that part of JTS games, I dont think its that realistic. Artillery in particular is way too resistant to fire and assault.

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 2:39:13 AM)

Butchers bill to get off the beach.
here's the link to the forum, not official but pretty much the only one. http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

[image]local://upfiles/32191/DC3074C0AB0849BCA08D2BFEB8B3E6C9.jpg[/image]

Ekaton -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 3:14:57 PM)

I'm trying to get as many engineers and bulldozers as I can. I realised that my mistake was not using hard units (tanks, AT guns etc.) against entrenched guns before, I pretty much only assaulted, seeing that most attacks did nothing. Turns out, perhaps one in eight does something.

One thing I can't deal with is a bunker with more than 200 soldiers in it. I'm trying to shoot at it with my tanks, AT guns, artillery etc, assault it every turn, but so far I have killed maybe 10 defenders. They seem immune to any attack, and assaults don't work at all despite them being disrupted and isolated. Units don't really surrender in JTS, do they?

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 4:09:10 PM)

I didn't shoot with units at all, except for AT guns just assaulted. Assaulted multiple times per stack. I never used any mine clearing units either, left them on mine clearing duty. I did hit the bunkers with planes.

Didn't see any surrenders that I remember. Remember the hex scale there's not 200 in a bunker.

Kuokkanen -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 5:55:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: budd

[image]local://upfiles/32191/9D9717EFA622472EB5495569A270C245.jpg[/image]

* Looks at op

Op is asking about John Tiller's Campaign Series, but screenshot says Panzer Campaigns. Are you even talking about the same game? Anyway JTCS has its own sub-forum here.

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 6:57:39 PM)

I think we are, as the Panzer campaign game is called Normandy 44 but I've been wrong before[;)]

Lobster -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/13/2020 8:24:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

* Looks at op

Op is asking about John Tiller's Campaign Series, but screenshot says Panzer Campaigns. Are you even talking about the same game? Anyway JTCS has its own sub-forum here.

The scenario mentioned by the OP is a Normandy 44-Panzer Campaigns scenario.

I see a lot of games mentioned in General Discussion that have their own forums. [;)]

Ekaton -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/14/2020 6:11:48 PM)

The game I'm talking about is Campaign Series Normandy, the scenario involving all British and Commonwealth landings - Caen Country.

quote:

ORIGINAL: budd

I didn't shoot with units at all, except for AT guns just assaulted. Assaulted multiple times per stack. I never used any mine clearing units either, left them on mine clearing duty. I did hit the bunkers with planes.

Didn't see any surrenders that I remember. Remember the hex scale there's not 200 in a bunker.

I'm assaulting with all my units too, multiple times. I guess I haven't paid enough attention to the combined stack penalty, I assume it makes a massive difference then. AT guns firing at enemy guns in the bunkers made a difference as well, destroying a few during the day.

It is possible, in this game, for units to have 200 soldiers. I'm not on my gaming PC now, but I'll post a screenshot later. In one case, I have more than 200 Germans in the last bunker between the beaches, along with two units of guns. Any assault results in about a dozen or more dead for me and nothing or very minor losses for the enemy. I have it isolated and German units are disrupted, but because it's a bunker, nothing works. Bombing and bombarding it doesn't work at all. Should I just wait? Is it going to get weaker as it continues to be isolated? Even having several dozens of tanks and several units of engineers assault it didn't work.

BTW, are you using a graphics mod? Looks great.

quote:

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that sub-forum at all.

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/14/2020 6:56:14 PM)

Now I'm not even sure we're talking about the same game. The game the screenshots are from is John Tillers Panzer Campaigns Normandy 44 game. The forum the others linked is from John Tillers Campaign Series, with East Front, West Front, and Rising Sun games in one package. Games are very different scales, Panzer Campaigns is 2hour turns , 1k hexes. Campaign Series is 250m, roughly 6-15 minute turns.

Most of the graphics in my shot are the new gold version graphices, i do have a rounded counter and shading mod installed.

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/14/2020 7:02:56 PM)

just rechecked my mod install here's all the mods i have installed.

[image]local://upfiles/32191/9002C0F4E8D245A389C30C5D715E8C2D.jpg[/image]

Jim D Burns -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/16/2020 12:20:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ekaton
I'm trying to shoot at it with my tanks, AT guns, artillery etc, assault it every turn,

Been years since I played any of these games, but I'm pretty sure assaults get bonuses if your units have full ammo and haven't fired. As I recall I never had issue getting past the forts as my assaults shoved them out due to the bonuses. Once in the open terrain the massed Allied firepower chewed up whatever was left. So save your shots for open terrain, assault the tough hexes.

It also helped a lot that the AI fired its units constantly and ran down their ammo, after a few turns in contact the AI was toast as it had no ability to try and get its units back into a full ammo state.

Jim

Delaware -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/18/2020 9:19:22 PM)

If you are enjoying getting your ass kicked on the beach, play Japan '45 and enjoy seeing causalities in the hundreds per unit per turn and not be able to move

budd -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/18/2020 11:05:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delaware

If you are enjoying getting your ass kicked on the beach, play Japan '45 and enjoy seeing causalities in the hundreds per unit per turn and not be able to move

AAAAA....naw i'm good. The game/map look good, but it does look like a slog. 46 looks like the same kind of thing.

Infierno -> RE: John Tillers' CS - I suck at it (3/19/2020 4:52:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delaware

I came here to post this exact comment practically word for word! [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI