Air Supply question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

thedoctorking -> Air Supply question (2/7/2020 3:45:25 PM)

Can somebody explain to me what is going on here? I have an airbase in Karelia with U2 transport planes on it (showing range 9). I'm trying to fly resupply missions to two units that are seven hexes away. I push f9, select the airbase with the planes on it, and right-click on the target hex, but I get the message "planes unavailable or out of range". I try without selecting the airbase and I get the option to send some level bombers from Long Range Air Command bases far in the rear. I try using the transports to resupply an adjacent hex, in case I've miscalculated the range, and they can't do that either.

I'm selecting night missions and the transports are set to night missions.

The base is in supply, though at long range. The rail line hasn't been repaired yet so the supply point for the base is Tikhvin. The supply range is 8 hexes/52 MP. The air HQ is four hexes away, though I don't think that makes any difference.

Anybody have any insights as to why this isn't working? I've built a bunch of those little U2 transport planes for precisely this reason and it would be a shame if I can't get them to fly any missions.

[image]local://upfiles/56634/78745BA4281540E6B6F77C86AECD2F28.jpg[/image]

xhoel -> RE: Air Supply question (2/7/2020 4:05:23 PM)

Transports need to be within 5 MPs of supply to launch transport missions. See section 16.3.5.1 in the manual.

thedoctorking -> RE: Air Supply question (2/7/2020 6:37:40 PM)

Ah, thanks.

So due to the short ranges of the U2 transports, this makes it very difficult to use them.

Is there a range penalty? Because now I'm trying this with airplanes on bases that are within 5 MP of their supply source and targets within 9 hexes of the airbase and it is still giving me the "aircraft unavailable" error message. The town they are drawing supply from still has plenty of supplies and fuel on hand. The transports have only like 2 or 3 percent of their miles flown.

Even getting this message when I try to fly to a hex adjacent to the air base.

morvael -> RE: Air Supply question (2/7/2020 6:59:35 PM)

I think there are also some limits on resupply without airbases nearby. And limits due to date. Sadly, all end up shown as "planes not available".

thedoctorking -> RE: Air Supply question (2/7/2020 7:55:08 PM)

Might be worth looking into. Or at least making the requirements clearer in the manual.

eskuche -> RE: Air Supply question (2/7/2020 10:29:04 PM)

IIRC airbase allowance of full supply delivery within one hex starts in 1942. Looked up this rule when I had turn 1-2 resupply at <50% efficient at panzer spearheads on airbases.

morvael -> RE: Air Supply question (2/8/2020 5:40:18 PM)

v1.11.00 – October 20, 2017
#10 Air bases in 1941 will not work for the purposes of airhead supply, and will not remove air drop penalty.
#11 Only German Luftwaffe and Soviet air bases will work for the purposes of airhead supply, and will remove air drop penalty.

V1.08.07 February 03, 2016
#1 [...] in order to prevent cargo loss during regular air drops, the airbase must be located in a hex that was under friendly control at start of turn [...]

thedoctorking -> RE: Air Supply question (2/8/2020 10:35:01 PM)

My issue was that the aircraft couldn't fly even to a hex adjacent to the base they were on. Even if they had plenty of miles left, were on an air base within 5 MP of a supply source, etc. I've not even gotten to the idea of putting an air base adjacent to the target hex to improve supply delivery. I can't even get the planes to fly the mission.

eskuche -> RE: Air Supply question (2/8/2020 11:12:31 PM)

Trivial note but they’re above % req to fly?

thedoctorking -> RE: Air Supply question (2/9/2020 1:01:24 AM)

Yes. Mostly they're at full strength because I've never been able to convince them to do missions. I just got told that I had to base them back at the railhead. I got one mission out of them and then they won't fly any more even though they have plenty of miles remaining.

morvael -> RE: Air Supply question (2/9/2020 6:16:57 AM)

Did you check night mode settings?

thedoctorking -> RE: Air Supply question (2/9/2020 3:43:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

Did you check night mode settings?

Yes. The U2's are set to night mode and I'm trying to fly night mode resupply. Back when the Axis fighters ruled the air, I put all my heavy bombers on night mode and used them for air resupply of my pocketed units. I use day resupply missions as ways to draw Axis fighters out if they are setting ranges so they don't intercept over the front lines.

juv95hrn -> RE: Air Supply question (2/9/2020 10:56:56 PM)

Level bombers need to do air resupply as their first mission at 0% flown miles, correct?

You transports had some miles flown? "The transports have only like 2 or 3 percent of their miles flown."

What is the situation with Transports? They can air drop supplies for all their miles, so not only first mission? Just want to make sure this is not the problem...

thedoctorking -> RE: Air Supply question (2/10/2020 4:36:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juv95hrn

Level bombers need to do air resupply as their first mission at 0% flown miles, correct?

You transports had some miles flown? "The transports have only like 2 or 3 percent of their miles flown."

What is the situation with Transports? They can air drop supplies for all their miles, so not only first mission? Just want to make sure this is not the problem...

I did wonder about that. They flew one mission and then wouldn't fly more. I thought that transports were not limited in this way but maybe I'm wrong. Or they aren't working as described.

morvael -> RE: Air Supply question (2/10/2020 12:17:58 PM)

Remember that if your aircraft have short range, flying all of them once at their full range will consume 100% of their "miles flown". Also, check how many are still ready after one mission, it may be that very little. Returning transports usually become reserve aircraft, not ready.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.734375E-02