Limiting air range (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

adarbrauner -> Limiting air range (1/19/2020 6:57:44 AM)

Hi to all,

I'm implementing the limited air range for air units, mainly for the Soviets, in the first months of the campaign, mainly to avoid the massacre of soviet air during the German turn;

fact is, that the units thus affected do not fly/take part to any action, not even if well inside the preset range, even if the German is attacking their own airfields, is this WAD, normal, or what else?

I'd like the Soviets to avoid engaging too close to the front but yes active when closer to their airbase, both in interception and ground support role, but this is seemingly denied, as above explained.

Telemecus -> RE: Limiting air range (1/19/2020 10:53:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner
fact is, that the units thus affected do not fly/take part to any action, not even if well inside the preset range, even if the German is attacking their own airfields, is this WAD, normal, or what else?

I'd like the Soviets to avoid engaging too close to the front but yes active when closer to their airbase, both in interception and ground support role, but this is seemingly denied, as above explained.

What range are you limiting them to? Remember you need 40 to fly one hex, 80 to fly two hexes and so on. If you limit it to a low number then they will not be able to fly any hexes.

thedoctorking -> RE: Limiting air range (1/19/2020 5:49:16 PM)

Yes, this is a little confusing and something I'd like to have the devs change in a future patch. The range you are setting them to is a certain number of miles, not hexes. There's a little number in parens at some point in the process that lets you know what the operational radius is.

Otoh, letting your guys fly and fight, even if they get very poor loss ratios, is often useful because it runs up the Luftwaffe's frequent flyer miles. As the very small supply of German fighters gets more and more fatigue from shooting down legions of Soviet planes, they get more and more vulnerable. I tend to not worry much at all about losses among older fighters (I series and LaGG-3's). I set them all to bomber mode and turn ground support on and if there are a bunch of battles where 15 German fighters show up and shoot down 10 I-153's at a cost of one of their own, I count that as a victory.

Use the range limitation feature for your first-line fighters (Migs and Yak-1) and the IL-2's. Principally, look to use this to allow your guys who have too much fatigue to rest up.

adarbrauner -> RE: Limiting air range (1/19/2020 7:39:52 PM)

would you believe I was sure the number referred to the hexes rather than the miles?!

REgarding future changes, probably more apt to WITE 2, given that both sides used metrical measurements, shouldn't it be preferreable to show distances/speeds in kilo meters rather than Imperial miles?

Doctorking, I prefer not to waste airframes and pilots, but rather crating and caring for their growing experience; when is soviet turn, on the opposite, soviet air units perform a huge number of strike missions anywhere German interceptor can't reach in time for any reason, i.e., given their fatigue and limited numbers, almost everywhere in the front; it damn raises the experience of the vvs and significantly attrite the German army with accruing losses; and, yes, almost every FB is posted with ground strike mission...

Telemecus -> RE: Limiting air range (1/19/2020 7:48:15 PM)

it certainly has never been made clear they are referring to miles and not hexes. And remember the rules in the manual about miles flown per hex in combat missions as opposed to direct flight.

There have been some requests before to go metric but do not believe that will ever happen. You have developers who are mostly American and publishers based in the UK (which is metric, but still uses miles for road distances). Most commercial enterprises do start off looking to their domestic markets first, and those would probably be their biggest market and one of their other biggest respectively.

Also I think WitE2 is being developed to be generic enough to be more easily adaptable to other theatres in future releases. So the imperial measures of the western allies would still have to be accounted for in the game.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI