What modification can increase weapon range? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series

matro-2000 -> What modification can increase weapon range? (9/20/2019 10:03:12 PM)

Have you noticed that most ship weapons in the game have low range compare to the other 4X strategy games? Some energetic weapons like blasters and torpedoes even lose their damage after certain distance, which make standoff combat inefficient for ships with such weapons.
I understand that this feature makes Distant Worlds more realistic and challenging. But on the other hand it limits range based strategy during the space battle because ships which get closer to the target have advantage of causing more damage. As the result most of the battles between fleets look like this:

[image]https://i.ibb.co/jV392Yf/dfkhe837r9.png[/image]

A compressed pile of ships floating in small circle. It looks unepic, and most of all, it removes need to micromanage position of ships during battles depending on their range. Of course there is missile type of weapon, but it is not enough. I want other types of weapons to have larger range too. And besides, missiles are mostly used in order to siege space stations and platforms.
Maybe I donít really understand how combat mechanic works in Distant Worlds, and increasing range might ruin some other aspects of the game; micromanaging ships probably doesnít even matter at all in Distant Worlds. Still, I want larger weapon range, and it can be done by installing certain modification.

So which modification can you recommend? There are a lot of modifications like Retreat UE, Bacon, Unleashed Extended etc. and I donít have much time (and I am also too lazy) to look up each of them in order to find one where weapon range is increased.
Which modification has feature of bigger weapon range? If there are several of such modifications, can you please name them? I would really appreciate it.

LordMM -> RE: What modification can increase weapon range? (9/21/2019 3:53:28 PM)

I believe the Retreat UE + Bacon mod increases the range some of the weapons. It also makes the battles more spread out through out the solar system due to the way Hyperspace accuracy and Star gravity restriction on Hyperspacing works.

matro-2000 -> RE: What modification can increase weapon range? (9/21/2019 8:15:21 PM)

I will check out those modifications. Thanks for advice!

RogerBacon -> RE: What modification can increase weapon range? (9/21/2019 11:51:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM

I believe the Retreat UE + Bacon mod increases the range some of the weapons. It also makes the battles more spread out through out the solar system due to the way Hyperspace accuracy and Star gravity restriction on Hyperspacing works.

It also has a setting in the Baconsettings.txt where you can set the range multiple for base weapons (default is 2.0 so all weapons on bases will have double range). Really an immobile object that can't out range its opponents is worthless.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI