Target Bug (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

alwaysdime -> Target Bug (9/17/2019 12:00:50 AM)

So I am playing the Bong Son 66 scenario and discovered if I select US artillery or an air unit the target icon appears if I hover over an undiscovered enemy. Not only that but you can attack it. Here are the combat results in this pic

alwaysdime -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 12:04:10 AM)

Lets try to embed this again.

[image]local://upfiles/31738/6D079F96982E4F0A9B8685ABBB35C77F.jpg[/image]

alwaysdime -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 12:08:53 AM)

Here is a shot of the target icon. I am on the latest version on Steam.

[image]local://upfiles/31738/79C8C27B6FE9455CA90B2483B9B691A2.jpg[/image]

Hellen_slith -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 1:31:17 AM)

Feature?

Same kind of thing can happen if when you glide your mouse finger thing over hexes, in the info line can say diff. things like "observed" or "unknown" even if the hex appears empty

unknown mean someone is there ... and you can target it if in range even if you can't see it ... "fire for effect" ?

I think that is a related feature

recon helicopter will sometimes reveal type of unit in a hex like that if you can recon a hex like that.

I could be wrong ... I often am :)

alwaysdime -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 1:56:44 AM)

It couldn't have been recon. I hadn't moved a unit yet and it was turn 1. I have been playing TOAW since the 90's and I don't recall every experiencing this. I opened up Kuwait 91 and hovered over many of the Iraqi area's and never saw this happen. My hunch is its just this scenario but I have never used the editor to load it up and figure that out.

P.S. Your probably right more often than me :)

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 2:10:12 AM)

It's a quality of Guerrillas. Note that the hex is "observed". But the guerrillas are invisible. But you can still attack them.

Shadrach -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 11:01:45 AM)

So are we supposed to move our cursor over every hex of the map, making helicopter noises as we go, to scout for potential invisible units?

If the unit is spotted, but unknown, why can't the game use some kind of "unknown unit" counter instead of having it stay actually invisible?

alwaysdime -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 2:25:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

It's a quality of Guerrillas. Note that the hex is "observed". But the guerrillas are invisible. But you can still attack them.

If the Guerrillas are invisible its funny my units knew exact numbers on the types of squads they dropped bombs on. Either they or the hex should be marked as suspected guerrilla activity and the combat results should be unknown rather than exact.

76mm -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 2:30:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
If the unit is spotted, but unknown, why can't the game use some kind of "unknown unit" counter instead of having it stay actually invisible?

Because then you wouldn't have to move your cursor over every hex of the map, making helicopter noises as you go... Silly man!
[:D]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 2:54:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Because then you wouldn't have to move your cursor over every hex of the map, making helicopter noises as you go... Silly man!
[:D]

Is there any other way to find out which hexes are spotted, observed, and unknown?

alwaysdime -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 3:02:47 PM)

[/quote]
Is there any other way to find out which hexes are spotted, observed, and unknown?
[/quote]

You mean without manually move the mouse across each hex and making a "whoosh" sound? No there is not.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 3:12:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: alwaysdime

You mean without manually move the mouse across each hex and making a "whoosh" sound? No there is not.

So, you'd need to do this anyway, right?

76mm -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 4:23:36 PM)

quote:

Why couldn't you use different kinds of counters or colored highlighting for the various states?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 4:40:01 PM)

quote:

quote:

Why couldn't you use different kinds of counters or colored highlighting for the various states?

That's probably possible. But no one has even suggested that in the over 20-year life of this game.

Fortunately, no one has made any feature requests for TOAW, so...oh, wait.

76mm -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 5:09:00 PM)

quote:

That's probably possible. But no one has even suggested that in the over 20-year life of this game.

Well, you did ask if there is "any other way" to do it?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 5:13:18 PM)

quote:

quote:

There is no other way, as the game exists now.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 5:36:41 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

So it would be a feature request to ask for highlighted hexes, color depending on it's state ( unknown, observed, etc. ) ?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 5:53:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

quote:

quote:

So it would be a feature request to ask for highlighted hexes, color depending on it's state ( unknown, observed, etc. ) ?

And new graphics, too.

76mm -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 6:26:17 PM)

quote:

OK, but "is there any other way" and "is there any other way without making any changes to the game" are two different questions...

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 6:34:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

OK, but "is there any other way" and "is there any other way without making any changes to the game" are two different questions...

That's absurd. It was a rhetorical question about the game. Any software could be modified to do almost anything. Being required to tack such a qualifier onto any question about it is an absurd burden.

Lobster -> RE: Target Bug (9/17/2019 8:42:15 PM)

More clutter is what I'm hearing. [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI