Paranoia RPG (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

wodin -> Paranoia RPG (8/22/2019 7:51:54 PM)

An RPG I owned back in the eighties is having a computer game developed. Perfect fit for a computer version.

LINK

Will_L -> RE: Paranoia RPG (8/24/2019 1:29:42 AM)

Was that the book based game by West End Games?
Used to play Empires in Arms and World in Flames with one of their developers and friends on weekends at their office back in the mid-late '80s before they went under with breaks for refreshments at the Molly Wee Pub nearby.

wodin -> RE: Paranoia RPG (8/24/2019 12:16:37 PM)

Was Pen and Paper RPG. I think West End Games published it at some point. I had the Games Workshop edition.

LINK to RPG info

bayonetbrant -> RE: Paranoia RPG (8/24/2019 2:36:09 PM)

it was always way more fun to read than to play

the contrast btw player and GM book was hilarious, but the mechanics weren't the smoothest, and b/c most players had already read the GM book before the game, a lot of the dark humor you were supposed uncover during the game was already spoiled.

it'll be curious to see if/how a computer game can capture the schtick of the RPG when it's been spoiled for 30 years now. It'd like trying to make an RPG scenario of trying to chase down Keyser Soze.

Blond_Knight -> RE: Paranoia RPG (8/24/2019 4:12:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

it was always way more fun to read than to play

Agreed! Five minutes in and my Army buddies were all shooting eachother shouting "Traitor!".
It probably didnt help that we were hammered.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Paranoia RPG (8/24/2019 7:55:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

it'll be curious to see if/how a computer game can capture the schtick of the RPG when it's been spoiled for 30 years now.

I know the game by name and something about what it's about. But if I were to buy the video game, it wouldn't have much anything that's been spoiled for me.

rommel222 -> RE: Paranoia RPG (8/27/2019 2:04:22 PM)

Greetings to All,
This thread brings back lots of memories of reading and playing the Paranoia series.

Also enjoyed the GDW Twilight 2000 series and the short lived Dark Conspiracy that followed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight:_2000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Conspiracy

Blond_Knight -> RE: Paranoia RPG (8/27/2019 5:20:01 PM)

I loved Twilight:2000, but for some reason my Army buddies preferred Aftermath!
Now that game had some messed up mechanics.

Handle -> RE: Paranoia RPG (9/12/2019 8:03:07 AM)

Thanks for the interesting topic. I liked your blog!

RFalvo69 -> RE: Paranoia RPG (9/12/2019 11:15:35 AM)

I played Paranoia exactly once. I liked the situations our group found itself in, and the general atmosphere. However, I never felt inclined to play again. My RPGs of choice were (and are - I still like to roll some dice along with my friends [8D]) Dungeons & Dragons, Call of Cthulhu and GURPS (I loved how with GURPS you can "combine" different supplements to create a "world"; example: Cyberpunk+Psionics+Horror, or Space+Ultratech, or Cliffhangers+Dinosaurs...)

I agree that Paranoia is very funny to read, but, if you play it, after a couple of adventures it overstays its welcome.

terje439 -> RE: Paranoia RPG (9/17/2019 3:52:55 AM)

Played Paranoia a few times, but never thought it to be a top notch game. Prefer (in order) RuneQuest, Vampire, StarWars

RFalvo69 -> RE: Paranoia RPG (9/17/2019 5:22:17 AM)

The original Star Wars by West End Games was a masterpiece of simplicity and atmosphere. I organized a brief campaign to “celebrate” (*) when The Force Awakens arrived in theaters. With my two daughters and two friends of my age group we played “Starfall” (the Rebels start as prisoners on a Star Destroyer who is falling into a star...). We had a lot of fun [:D].

The original Star Wars by WEG is still the best. Both Second Edition and the current one by Fantasy Flight are crocks: nothing approaches the simplicity and fast & furious gameplay of 1E.

(*) Of course we played before the movie was out and we discovered that there was nothing to celebrate...

terje439 -> RE: Paranoia RPG (9/17/2019 1:36:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

(*) Of course we played before the movie was out and we discovered that there was nothing to celebrate...

[:D]

Blond_Knight -> RE: Paranoia RPG (9/17/2019 2:40:18 PM)

Played alot of Twilight 2000, Call of Cthulhu, and Runequest in the Army in the late 80's. Always wanted to start a Morrow project game but never got around to it.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
5.175781E-02