TOAW replacement on the horizon? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

cathar1244 -> TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 5:34:09 AM)

War Plan

Hmm. A hex-based World War II simulation complete with scenario editor. Makes me wonder if this is a test to see how much interest there is. I would guess that extending this product to handle other periods of history and, potentially, unit, hex, and time scales, could be done if enough interest is present from the gaming community. Also wonder what it portends for TOAW's future.

On edit: Nice to see the rivers following hexsides ... [:D]

Cheers

[image]https://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/806/20190507084530.jpg[/image]

[image]https://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/806/20190507084829.jpg[/image]

76mm -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 11:00:48 AM)

Thanks for pointing this one out; I signed up for the Beta, we'll see!

Looks good in many ways: production and more of a political/diplomatic system, which is good. And hexside rivers, which is GREAT! :-)

On the downside, no mention of the equivalent of an event engine, and units sound like they are rather generic ("20 different units with 15 different attributes, 17 different technological advancements, 5 different specialties. Each country has their own units with their own attributes") rather than the specific equipment types as in TOAW...

But let's not forget that other TOAW competitor which should be out any day now: Combined Arms! (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=16) :-O

larryfulkerson -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 12:43:59 PM)

I clicked on the link you provided and I read the entire thread and I must say I'm not all that impressed. I'm thinking TOAW might be the better product still.

Bamilus -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 1:29:09 PM)

They aren't competitors so it can't be a TOAW replacement. The creator said on Facebook that it is meant to be a cross between Hearts of Iron and Strategic Command.

TOAW is an operational focused game that doesn't have much in the way of research/diplomacy/production. TOAW models down to equipment level and is focused almost purely on the military aspects of a battle.

Strategic Command/HoI/WarPlan are strategic games focused around the total war, which includes those aspects. As a result, the military side suffers a bit because the scale is so zoomed out and you're restricted to one land unit a hex.

It can't be a replacement because the games aren't trying to do the same thing.

Lobster -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 1:43:42 PM)

Combined Arms has been in development since before dirt. [:D]

In fact I think dirt wasn't even in the planning stages.

Bamilus -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 1:51:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Combined Arms has been in development since before dirt. [:D]

In fact I think dirt wasn't even in the planning stages.

They really need to just close that forum. Game has been in development since the Soviet Union was still around and the lead developer hasn't visited the forums in 3-4 years.

76mm -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 2:29:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus
...the scale is so zoomed out and you're restricted to one land unit a hex.

I hadn't seen this before, just lost all interest. I don't do games without stacking. Oh well, TOAW it is then!

Bamilus -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 2:33:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus
...the scale is so zoomed out and you're restricted to one land unit a hex.

I hadn't seen this before, just lost all interest. I don't do games without stacking. Oh well, TOAW it is then!

I hate the restriction, too, but after playing SC it's not as annoying. But it still leads to counter shuffling which is dumb.

Regardless, everyone comparing this game to TOAW should really be comparing it to Advanced Tactics Gold or Strategic Command. That is the most apt comparison.

lion_of_judah -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/9/2019 10:48:49 PM)

I hope this game is better than strategic command ( not one of my favorite games).

josant -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/10/2019 12:56:22 PM)

Toaw is unique, so far they have no replacement, he has been here since 1998, and yes, you can play another wargames, but at the end you go back to him.

cathar1244 -> RE: TOAW replacement on the horizon? (5/10/2019 1:38:58 PM)

quote:

Toaw is unique, so far they have no replacement

Wargame development stories time.

A game I was involved with had on its team a fellow from a country that shall go unnamed. But this guy, who had retired from the military in his country and was involved with defense contracting in his country, on the sly produced a version of the database for the game that included, let us say, sensitive data ... and then approached his country's ministry of defense with the intention of selling them his modified version as a training tool for soldiers.

His country's security services took a dim view of his activity and he dropped off our team. I've always wondered what was the outcome of that incident. Sometimes, games aren't always just games.

Cheers

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.708984E-02